Protruding breast bone tip

DRAGONGEO12
on 9/13/16 12:02 am

The reason for your xyphoid process sticking out is serious weight gain followed by a significant weight loss. Your XP bent during your weight gain because your rectus abdominals as well as your transverse abdominals are attached to the XP. As your stomach expanded outwards a possibly sideways as well, the XP which is cartilage was bent. I have the same problem. It is not life threatening but if it starts to cause you pain, you may consider surgery. I am always afraid it will break easier now because it is bent and sticks out like a lump. It is not life threatening even if it does break. The solution is to do lots and lots of core exercises as well as chest exercises. The tightening of the core will help straighten out your XP lump to a good degree. I hope this was helpful to you. Your not alone. I can't stand the way it looks when I arch my lumbar spine, which is part of my problem..............lordosis (arched back posture) Many year of gymnastics and I naturally arched my back. That pushes your ribs up and out, which can also cause the XP to bend. When I flex my abs the lump disappears. Try it! So adjust your posture the best you can and,work that core. It will definitely help.

DRAGONGEO12
on 9/13/16 12:08 am

I call mine my 3rd nipple. My girl gets a kick out of that one! Problem is it sticks out more when your abs are relaxed because they are attached to it( Xyphoid  process). So it worked my core hard and it's not only less noticeable, I have better posture and a six pack now!

jennylew
on 5/8/10 2:36 pm - Hill AFB, UT
Ya'll are giving me a good laugh tonight! Especially the guy who said his sticks out so much he could tattoo a nipple on his! I wanted to say that even though I don't have this problem yet because I am pre-surgery and can't find my sternum, my ZP sometimes hurts real bad. Almost as if it's bruised. So I'm sure that the extra weight has some sort of impact on this cartilage. I am sorry to hear that ya'll are having to experience this "unnatural" thing. Isn't it amazing what we find underneath all of the extra layers once we shed them! Have a good weekend and Happy Mother's day to all you moms out there!
Most Active