chelle7964 · 2 replies · 57 views
Newbie from Ontario
hiom · 2 replies · 42 views
DeToX
Dawn W. · 4 replies · 99 views

red, raised welts around incisions - 2 weeks post-op

Tara S.
on 9/17/07 9:02 am - Smyrna, TN
My name is Tara. I am 2 weeks post-op from RNY. My incisions appear to healing nicely, but I have developed red, raised welts that surround ea*****ision by about an inch. they itch like CRAZY! I've    tried cortizone cream and triple antibiotic ointment and neither seems to help more than for a few minutes. Has anyone ever experienced this?

SW: 246   CW: 133        Christmas goal: 130

Ladybugmom
on 9/17/07 9:08 am - Lockport, NY
I got a rash that was red raised and itched like crazy all over my torso about 10days after surgery. The doctor said it could be a reaction to the medication they gave me during surgery. Nothing but time gave me releif....Good luck and enjoy the journey...Hugs, Chris

iphonepics004-1.jpg picture by LadyBugMom87

Tara S.
on 9/17/07 9:12 am - Smyrna, TN
Thanks for writing back. I'm not sure it's encouraging to think of this all over my torso, but... Thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one to experience this! I saw your pics - congrats! and good luck getting approved! My fingers are crossed and my prayers are going up... ~ Tara

Ladybugmom
on 9/17/07 9:14 am - Lockport, NY
Thanks Tara the prayers help I hope. I have been denied a second time and am now waiting the results of someone else reveiwing the appeal and hope the over turn it....Hugs, Chris

iphonepics004-1.jpg picture by LadyBugMom87

Faithh
on 9/17/07 9:15 am - GA

I had a reaction to the clear piece that covers the gauze of the bandage .. isnt that weird lol  as long as the incisions are healing it should pass in a few days ... hydrocortizone is what i used. gl  Tammie

I HAVE FAITH OF THE HEART ... NO ONES GONNA HOLD ME BACK....

Sue77
on 9/17/07 9:18 am
I had a rash too for the first few weeks.  I think I agrevated mine because it itched like crazy and I couldn't keep my hand from itching it at night.  Anyway, it cleared up at the end of the 2nd week.
tallnsweet61
on 9/17/07 9:19 am - Pensacola, FL
Are you using any tape at all in that area?   I'm almost 3 weeks post-op and I'm having to cover my incision (had mini-open RNY)  with gauze sponges and tape.  Anywhere the tape touches I get a really itchy red rash.  Any kind of tape- plastic, paper.. doesn't matter for me.  Benadryl creme has been a Godsend.
"Some people never go crazy.  What truly horrible lives they must lead"- Charles Bukowski.

"When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!" -Wilferd Peterson.

Tara S.
on 9/17/07 9:28 am - Smyrna, TN
I'm not using any tape anymore. Of course there were gauze pads/tape right after surger. Those have been off for several days - maybe a week. The little "steri-strips" were still on for several more days, but those, too, are off now. funny thing is, the itchy raised welts didn't show up until everything was off. It's like a day or two of not being covered, they started breaking out. Since all the steri-strips didn't come off the same day, it's taken several days for all of the incisions to be affected.  Thanks for input --- I'll have my husband stop at the store and get some Benadryl creme, since the others don't seem to be doing it. BTW - I see that you had your surgery on aug 29th. That was my original surgery date, but insurance didn't come through in time, so it got postponed till Sept. 4th (less than a week later!) How are you doing other than the above? Well, I hope!  ~ Tara

tallnsweet61
on 9/17/07 9:40 am - Pensacola, FL
Everything is going really well.  It was hard to eat and drink for the first week, but after that no problems whatsoever.  I only took pain meds while I was in the hospital and the first day home.  Went to K-mart the first day out of the hospital- lol  I seem to be losing from the top down.  Ive gone from busting out of a DD cup to a perfect C in like 2 weeks.. so besides that I'm completely happy with my decision.
"Some people never go crazy.  What truly horrible lives they must lead"- Charles Bukowski.

"When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!" -Wilferd Peterson.

moosemom
on 9/17/07 9:22 am - Wylie, TX
Please call your dr, as a precautions, its probably not a big deal but call them to make sure. Hope you feel better soon 

Philosophy of life "Treat others like you wish to be Treated" 
              Only you can make yourself happy!!!

mclean
on 9/17/07 10:17 am - Warrenton, VA
RNY on 11/14/06 with
Tara, Please let your Dr. know. They can offer the very best advise for you and they do want to know!! My incision keloided ( sorry, I'm sure that's misspelled) so I wish I had been more vocal with my Dr. in case we could have done something to lessen that, if at all possible. You need to really be concerned about infection! Please call your Dr. It's not a silly thing to call about. McLean