how many grams of sugar is acceptable to you?

Dena W.
on 1/5/08 10:44 pm - Tarpon Springs, FL

For me, 6 grams of sugar or less per serving.  I tolerate fruits just fine but my usual choices are pineapple packed in its own juice, fresh apple, fresh orange, or 1/4 of a fresh banana. 

Dena
See my YouTube vlogs here:  http://www.youtube.com/user/LiLtinee
Add me as a friend on Facebook:    Dena Waskiewicz               
Starting weight:  297 / Goal weight:  140's / Current weight:  138-143
Lap RNY 3/12/2007 ~ Fleur-de-Lis tummy tuck 7/12/2010

fillisg
on 1/5/08 10:45 pm - Belmont, MS
My surgeon told me not to eat anything with more than 6 sugar grams. I can tolerate more grams than that. Closer to 14 - 15 but at that many my tummy begins to hurt and I feel a little yuck for just a minute. I try to not go over what my doc recommends but at times, I do.

Phyllis
LAP RNY 7/7/06
Highest    Current     Goal
292             157           140

"I can do all things through Christ which gives me strength" Philippians 4:13

cheribaby
on 1/5/08 11:16 pm - Munfordville, KY
Sugar by itself hasn't been a problem for me thus far.  Corn syrup bothers me more, and sugar mixed with fat gives me dumping **** cream).  Honestly, fattening things are worse for my intestines than sugar.  Go figure

Jill23
on 1/6/08 12:31 am - Kendall Park, NJ
For breakfast this morning I had an entire container of Friendship Lowfat Cottage Cheese with pineapple. Each serving is 120 calories and 15g of sugar--I ate the entire thing which was 240 calories and THIRTY GRAMS OF SUGAR.... I'm fine--no dumping, no growling, just fine.... If I mix sugar with fat--I get very sick--meaning no ice cream for me--luckily I can still have a spoonful and feel fine! Jill
mrsdv2003
on 1/6/08 12:38 am - Apple Valley, MN
I stay around 15-16 gms and will get sick if I go over (bad experience but I did it  :(  ). I actually get really sick on sugar alcohols so all that sugar free stuff I have to stay away from.  So I opt for regular or low fat items with the exception of using Splenda in my coffee.  As far as fruit, I can eat just about any of them but it is trial and error.  Start by eating 1/4 of the item (apple, orange, pear, banana, etc).  You should be able to work up to the whole piece of fruit by the time your 1 year out.  HTH!!
Cassandra V           
"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans"  -Beautiful Boy-Lennon
MARLENA S.
on 1/6/08 12:59 am - middletown, CT
RNY on 09/04/07 with
im just 4 mths out, and i can eat a whole bananna (smaller in size) and its scary that i can eat that within 10 mins ...is that ok if i feel fine eating it?  yikes!

http://www.myspace.com/marrose76
Rny 9-4-07 -158lbs
July 10th, 2009 Brachioplasty (Arms) & Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)

mrsdv2003
on 1/6/08 2:19 am - Apple Valley, MN
I would think so.  It really is pretty mushy and digests well.  if you have no problems with it then I would think you are in the clear.   It hopefully will be one of your greenlight foods.  It's always nice to find the things that consistently agree with your pouch and if in a pinch can rely on the foods you have no issues with.   My greenlight foods are light yoguart and mozzarella cheese sticks (the cold pure cheese stuff).  I also have no problems with apples, grapes, oranges, strawberries, canteloupe, watermelon, peaches, pineapple and kiwi.  Veggies are all fine in my pouch tooand I handle most breads and pasta fine too.   Difference is the quantity and that is a whole new trial and error thing as you move from measuring food to eyeballing it.  You really do learn what and how much will fit in your pouch.   I can't tell you how many times I have been eating and put and chew a bite in my mouth and mid chew I will hear some little odd voice say "don't you dare swallow that or you'll be sorry"  (I think my pouch has it's own voice).  So I stop chewing and spit out that bite.  I have never ignored "the voice".  Maybe it is because I am really listening to my body now.  Anywho...good luck!!
Cassandra V           
"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans"  -Beautiful Boy-Lennon
MARLENA S.
on 1/6/08 2:37 am - middletown, CT
RNY on 09/04/07 with
my pouch has voice too lol  i really try to skip the last bite, just incase, i can eat small apples and grapes (6-8) w/o feeling drunk lol banannas, pears and canned peaches. ohh i havent tried strawberries yet! sounds good pasta goes down w/o a problem so i stay clear from it! otherwise i'd eat it daily! white bread, forget it - but i've tried rye bread seedless toasted it was ok, i kinda lost my taste for bread, which was my best friend pre op! some friend huh lol  my taste buds change weekly, makes me nuts! but im learning to take it day by day :)  thanks for your tips Marlena

http://www.myspace.com/marrose76
Rny 9-4-07 -158lbs
July 10th, 2009 Brachioplasty (Arms) & Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)

Debra P.
on 1/6/08 1:08 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
I was told 5 grams.

anais831
on 1/6/08 6:48 am - Maplewood, NJ
Hi, Like many others, I was also told 15 grams.  I've come close, but only a few times.  I stick to 10-12.  Also, consider how much time it's been for each individual and how out bodies react.  I am only a bit of a dumper.  I can tolerate most foods, I just chose to leave a lot of things out of my dies. All the best!

Annie in NJ
weight - 280/136/130
size 28/6/4-6 

Most Active