Why am I so cold?

ELAINE44
on 3/4/08 8:45 am - new castle, IN

2 weeks out of surgery and 28 pounds down ,I'm so cold that my lips and fingers and toes turn purple. I've have always been the one was so hot all the time,now it's crazy

Sandy G.
on 3/4/08 8:49 am - Henderson/Las Vegas, NV
"Crazy" Good choice of words. I was always the one sneaking over to the thermostat to cool down the house. Now I'm always the one sneaking over to the thermostat to warm up the house. Sandy
ELAINE44
on 3/4/08 8:56 am, edited 3/4/08 8:56 am - new castle, IN
I was going to write about it and saw your post, I was always the one sweating anywhere I went ,now hate to get out because it's so cold here lol
nenna1950
on 3/4/08 9:28 am - Macon, GA
 Sandy, I am surely with you on the "COLD" body! This has been the coldest weather I have ever lived in this year.We live in Ga ;Cold, snowy weather is not the problem! If you get your hemoglobin cked, you probably will find that your Hemo is too low. I went to the Hosp. My hemo was cked and was found to be 7grams. Needless to say, I had to be admitted to the hosp. for a Blood transfusion. Please be careful and get this cked ! You say, You are in between Insurance coverages.whatever if takes, do it before it becomes an emergency  condition! Prayers, Love, Nenna  Open RNY 4/2002 wt.loss 131 lbs. current wt. 116lbs 5'2 hgt.  64 yrs. Would I do it all over again? Yes, I would, every 6 mos. if I had to!!!!

Sandy G.
on 3/4/08 11:33 am - Henderson/Las Vegas, NV
Hey Nenna, Thanks for the response. Did you find out why your hemo was so low? Sandy
AttyDallas
on 3/4/08 9:47 am, edited 3/4/08 9:47 am - Garland, TX

There are usually 3 potential causes:  (1) (for those patients w. a malabsorptive WLS) ... low in iron levels / anemia (do you have an urge to chew ice chunks or eat large, salty items?) (2) (post-ops with substantial weight loss) ..  relative lack of "body insulation" (as mentioned)  and (3) (relatively new post-ops) ... the body's metabolism slowing down as a reaction to the severe caloric restriction from WLS ..  This effect is similar to that which an anorexia victim undergoes ...

attydallas_dblcentury.jpg picture by cmirving 

Sandy G.
on 3/4/08 11:46 am - Henderson/Las Vegas, NV
Thanks AttyDallas,  (1) Nope, No urge to chew ice or even have anything cold other then the protein drink I have once a day. (2) I guessing this might be it because everywhere I lost weight is cold e.g. arms, face, fingers, toes,  ect. and everywhere I still see as well cushioned isn't so cold e.g. butt, legs. (3) Lets hope its not slowing down too much, I still have a few pounds to go. Although I do eat a good share. I would have a hard time believing I don't eat enough. (about 1200 cal/day, 80-100g protein/day) Thanks for the input. I'm hoping for number 2. Sandy
socki
on 3/4/08 10:37 am
i was ALWAYS hot....even a few weeks after surgery when i was in the hospital.....i had a fan blowing on me.....now i freeze......layered clothes! blankets!!! several blankets....when i go outside....indiana...which we have ice right now! i have a few hoodies jackets and a winter coat gloves 2 socks and boots....everyone gets a big kick out of this...because i was such the opposite last year...i never wore a long sleeve shirt....so i feel ya!   lol big hugs
zlynnc
on 3/4/08 11:48 am - BEAUFORT, NC
I get that way also but am finding it corralates with my increasing poor vision and often low blood surgar now.  A potential side effect of this surgery which seems to increase the farther we get out.

Beginning weight: 284  
Surgery weight: 251
Current weight: 149

Sandy G.
on 3/4/08 11:53 am - Henderson/Las Vegas, NV
I wear contacts and I haven't noticed any changes with my vision. I hope thats not the case because my eyes are already pretty bad. Someday I'd like to get the laser surgery but if my eyes may get worse I better wait awhile. Sandy