Why am I so cold?

Lisa B.
on 3/4/08 12:01 pm - Los Angeles, CA

I'm always cold too- iron is low and i do chew ice.

Vision?  This is the first I've heard of vision getting worse after surgery- I went to the eye doctor yesterday and my vision decreased a diopter in each eye...

Pam T.
on 3/4/08 12:35 pm - Saginaw, MI
It's all about science folks.  A calorie is a measure of how much heat is needed to heat up liquid.  (Remember biology class?)  So now we're taking in far fewer calories and therefore generating less body heat.  Combine that with less insulation and it is makes things worse.

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

foobear
on 3/4/08 2:14 pm - Medford, MA
My suspicion is that it's because rapid weight loss causes your body to reduce its metabolic rate, probably by reducing the conversion of the thyroid hormone T4 (thyroxine) to T3 (triiodothyronine) in your body's tissues.  T3 is a much more powerful form of thyroid hormone than T4 is, so by reducing the rate of the conversion of T4 to T3, the body's metabolism slows. This is not quite the same as being "hypothyroid", since your thyroid gland is likely producing the same amount of T4 and T3 as ever.  But once it gets into the bloodstream and into the tissues of the rest of the body, less T4 is converted to the most active T3 than before the rapid weight loss. Is that the only reason?  Probably not. /Steve
jhadden
on 3/4/08 8:13 pm - Danbury, CT
Husbands are great heaters!  My husband is always so warm.  I think it is a male thing .  So snuggle up!!!

Baby Text

Sandy G.
on 3/5/08 1:48 am - Henderson/Las Vegas, NV
Normally that would be good advise but my guys a sweater, even with the fan blowing on him he sweats up a storm. So I don't much care for waking up COLD and WET. Nope, no thank you, not gonna happen. He always pulls back the top blanket and turns on the fan. I always add another blanket and use his body to block the fan. No snuggling here. Sandy
Katherine A.
on 3/6/08 9:14 am - Klein, TX
I am also freezing... 22 months out and I still can not get warmed up.  right now, I am burrowed in my sleeping bag and I can feel frost cycles forming on my toes. ;)  I take my vitamins each day, I eat a variety of food. but I can not get warm.

Kat     Blog   [Photographer & Mom of 5 275/143/202

[[ Some people are like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.]]

Sandy G.
on 3/7/08 9:22 am - Henderson/Las Vegas, NV
I'm with you Katherine, ALWAYS COLD. Every night before I go to bed I place a sweater on the chair in the bedroon. I know when I get up in the morning I'm not going very far from my warm blankets without that sweater. I guess I would rather be cold then hot. You can always add things to warm up but you can only strip down so far to cool down. Thanks for replying. Sandy
Katherine A.
on 3/7/08 9:31 am - Klein, TX
funny thing is that I never, even at my highest weight, had a problem with being too hot.  I could run in shorts and t-shirt and be perfectly content, even when it was 120'F outside. I even have pictures from 2005, when I was pool side, in a black swimsuit, and a black lace cover up, it was 120 and I was sitting on the steps, with my feet in, and the water was not warm enough for me to get in all the way. I am a freak of nature according to my dh.

Kat     Blog   [Photographer & Mom of 5 275/143/202

[[ Some people are like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.]]

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1465 views