Which pre-op "liver shrinking diet" do/did you use?

Cynthia L.
on 3/7/08 10:34 am, edited 3/7/08 10:45 am - Clarence, NY

What are the pros and cons of it? Thanks.

-Cynthia

[edit - changed the title of the thread] 

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

LizWilcox
on 3/7/08 10:42 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Not sure what you are referring to?  Do you mean pre-op diet that you need to be on so you shrink your liver?  Or do you mean what diets did we all try in order to show we had tried for x number of months? My surgeon does not prescribe a pre-op diet to his patients unless it is to shrink the liver. And I'm not sur what it consists of because I didn't have to do one.

Cynthia L.
on 3/7/08 10:43 am - Clarence, NY

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific.

Yes, I'm talking about the diet to shrink the liver or just to shrink in general, that many surgeons put people on, prior to the surgery.

-Cynthia 

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

zorra51954
on 10/18/10 8:57 am
I start my diet to shrink liver Oct. 25th.  I will be on it for two weeks before surgery.  It is a liquid diet.  I am more than ready for it.  It is called New Direction which was purchased through the doctors office.  I pray this surgery goes through.  My health is bad.  Last year I got diagnosed with hypertensive heart disease, COPD, CHF, I have had high blood pressure for years.  Now because of being obese for so long, it has caused every symptom I have now.  
I had a nissen fundoplication which came undone two years ago.  But because of this past surgery, the doctor says he may go in and not be able to complete the surgery.  Those words stress me out so much.  One, because I had a an open nissen, which there might be a lot of scar tissue, Two: because of the position now of my stomach.  Even though the nissen came undone it may be laying in an awkward position.  I am told I am seeing the best surgeon in my area.  So that gives me great comfort.  Anyone here have any problems with prior surgeries that could have made the doctor decide not to do the surgery?  I can't be the only one who has had a nissen fundoplication.  
suzanne777123
on 3/7/08 10:56 am - Bristol, RI
RNY on 06/14/06 with
I just counted calories and ate less (I tried to stay at 1400 calories/day) and it worked.   I had rough patches but all in all I lost 26 pounds in the 3 months before surgery (I was 368 at highest). Suzanne
06/14/06:    Laproscopic RNY.  Down 215 Lbs.    

11/19/07:    Lower Body Lift with auto-augmentation on buttock lift, Breast lift with Auto-Augmentation, extended brachioplasty with Axilla repair.

02/25/08:    Vertical Thigh Lift, Lower Face Lift, Fat Grafting.
DeblovesJohn
on 3/7/08 11:02 am - Anytown, SC
RNY on 09/24/07 with
My surgeon said to follow the Atkins plan for 12 days pre-surgery.  Focused me on protein foods.  Deb
The Contessa
on 3/7/08 11:17 am
I'm curious as to the percentage of patients who are required to follow such a diet pre-op. I wasn't required to do such a diet. I was required to do 24 hrs. before surgery, clear liquids -- that was it.

Jean M.
on 3/7/08 11:18 am
Revision on 08/16/12 with

Cynthia, I had to do a minimum of 4 weeks (I did 5) of a 1200-cal/day, low-sodium, low-fat diet, then 3 days of clear liquids.  I hated it, but it was better than being on liquids for 2 weeks the way some surgeons require.  I lost 19.5 lbs on the 1200-cal/day deal, then gained back 2 lbs on the clear liquids. I don't know the pros/cons of it.  I wasn't given any options.  I just followed my nutritionist's instructions. Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Jean M.
on 3/7/08 11:20 am
Revision on 08/16/12 with

Cynthia, I should add that I do know 2 pros of any liver-shrinking diet. 1) it shrinks the size of your liver so it is less likely to be in your surgeon's way during surgery 2) it reduces the slipperiness of the liver so it is easier to maneuver during surgery Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Clirishu
on 3/7/08 11:26 am - LA
My doctor uses a protein shake, lean meat, and vegatable regimine you have to follow.  For most pre-op patients, they follow it for two weeks.  For me, a little longer because they want me to lose some weight before surgery.   Because the diet allows for two meals during the day alongside the protein shakes, I don't feel like I am missing out as much as I would feel if I was strictly on protein shakes and liquids.  I just keep telling myself this is a means to an end.  It has worked so far!  Just better have lost some weight when I go weigh on March 20th.
Cynthia L.
on 3/7/08 11:28 am - Clarence, NY

Thanks for all your replies.  I was considering doing Medifast, even if my doc doesn't require it, because I know the smaller we are, the easier the surgery will be and I already know I have a big ole fat liver, though my liver function is fine (so far). 

-Cynthia 

http://www.exodus.co.uk/assets/images/trips/199x119/07948.jpg

Linda_S
on 3/7/08 11:40 am - Eugene, OR
Strictly 1200 calories a day.  Didn't matter what I ate, although I tried to eat mostly a healthy diet while trying to sneak in a few of those "last supper" treats.  That is what my doc and nutritionist put me on, so that's what I did.  I had no liquid diet or bowel prep.  Just regular food. Linda
Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Sophia Maria
on 3/7/08 11:46 am
per vanderbilts weight loss surgery center recomendation I used Carnation Instant breakfast sugar free shakes with skim milk, 6 a day for 14 days.

Cynthia L.
on 3/7/08 11:55 am - Clarence, NY

Just the shakes and nothing else?  That sounds a lot cheaper than Medifast and I trust Vandy.

-Cynthia <-- former Nashvillian 

Sophia Maria
on 3/7/08 3:08 pm
Cynthia Yes just the shakes and water of course. But I knew how important it was for me so it wasnt too bad at all. Vanderbilt is the BEST hospital I have ever been in, my surgeon was excellent and the care I had was top notch. You rang for a nurse and they were right there no waiting around at all. It may not be a brand spanking new hospital but they sure were good to me and I had no infections problems whatsoever.

phyxias
on 3/7/08 11:56 am - Augusta, GA
I was amazed that so many docs didn't require a pre-op diet for surgery.  My surgeon required ALL patients to do 1 month liquid diet.  It was rough!  Now I'm glad he had me do it because it really allowed me to show myself how commited I was to the process and took away some of my doubts.  It also made my surgery alot safer.
oh_c_cardm-1.gif picture by fyxias
Cynthia L.
on 3/7/08 12:13 pm, edited 3/7/08 12:35 pm - Clarence, NY

Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines. Whatever makes me healthier for surgery, I'm willing to give it a shot.

My trouble is, I started this process in Aug and have had a LOT of months of "last supper syndrome." I figure I've gained probably 20 pounds since then. I really want to get down to where I was when I started this, or even better if possible.

I was reading the Carnation web site and see that 6 "meals" of the sugar free variety plus skim milk will provide 900 calories per day and 78 grams of protein @ 13 per prepared meal.

I've not even had my consult yet because it's taken me so long to get my thyroid in shape, my pcp hasn't been very helpful and because of my surgeon's office staff's dropping the ball (not returning calls, claiming they never got the fax of my psych eval, etc.)

When I finally get in to see the doc, I'll of course do whatever he suggests, but for now, it's never a bad thing to lose prior to the surgery.

-Cynthia

[edit - updated protein info] 

phyxias
on 3/7/08 12:35 pm - Augusta, GA
What my doc's partner does is put people on the carnation instant breakfast for the first 2 meals of the day (breakfast,Lunch) and then has them eat a sensible dinner such as 4 oz lean meat, 1/2 cup of veggie,and  1/4 cup of fruit.  Then he allows them a protein bar as an after dinner snack.  They do that 28 days prior to surgery.  That sounds like a really good plan to me.
oh_c_cardm-1.gif picture by fyxias
Brandi F.
on 3/7/08 12:19 pm - Hamburg, PA

4 days prior to surgery I had to be on liquids. Water, Crystal Light, Thin Cream of Wheat, Broths, etc. etc. Kinda sucked, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. And I'm glad it was only 4 days and not a week or two! ~Brandi

Lap RNY on 8-21-07
I'm 5'2'', I'm 34 years old, and I have 175 pounds to lose!!

glamacurls
on 3/7/08 12:50 pm - Olive Branch, MS
RNY on 02/19/08 with
I had to do a two week liquid diet. It consisted of broth, FF yogurt, SF popsicles, and protien shakes. The purpose is that when you shrink your liver it makes the surgery smoother and you have a faster recovery. I did it and only cheated a couple of times and lost 16 lbs. My surgery was complication free and recovery was a breeze, I suggest you do it, it will be worth it in the end.
Julie