Which pre-op "liver shrinking diet" do/did you use?

lea2be
on 3/7/08 6:26 am - LaBelle, FL
My doc does not require any preop weight loss, but you can not gain even one pound between consult and preop workup or they postpone your surgery and put you on a diet.  His nutritionist sits you down and discusses a 1000 calorie, 100 carb (or less) and 100 protein (or more) diet to go by till surgery.  Staying below 100 carbs and at or above 100 grams of protein helps you lose weight and shrink your liver for surgery.  I did this for 6 weeks prior to surgery (the time from my consult to my actual surgery date) with the occasional splurge/bad day and lost 24 pounds in that time.  My surgeon said my liver was great!  LOL  It was an eye-opener to realize that I probably only ate 35 or 40 grams of protein per day before that...  And, that protein boost in the weeks prior to surgery helps you heal faster after your surgery. Lea

Lovin' Life with Lea

Lea in WV   HW410/CW220/GW185   Proximal RNY 8/29/06
ObesityHelp Mini-Challenge Support Group Leader
CLICK HERE for discount codes for savings on various WLS-friendly products!

Aphrodites
on 3/8/08 12:51 am - FL

I'm currently on the liquid diet now. My doctor requires that all his patients go on a two week optifast diet. Optifast is a protein shake that has all the required nutrients for a day supply. I can only have that for 14 days and all the crystal light and water I want. yipee (note the sarcasm lol) One day before surgery it's pure clear liquids only. so that's broth, sf pops, sf jello, crystal light, and water. hth

My Food Blog 

April_F
on 10/5/08 10:01 am
 Hi Cynthia et al,

You've probably had your surgery, but I wanted to share my experience with not having a liver shrinking diet:

I was just required to be on clear liquids for two days.  Then, last Thursday, Oct. 2, I had my surgery (RNY), but my surgeon stopped it because my liver was enlarged and he didn't want to take the change of tearing my liver!  

So now I've had the experience of the surgery, but I'm facing it again in four weeks while I stay on clear liquids to shrink my liver.

I would MUCH rather have been on liquids for two weeks (or more) before than have to go through this twice.

April
syl1987
on 4/28/11 12:29 am
im on day 10 of this liquid diet all sugar free jello pudding popsicles cottage cheese...broth  day before surgery i have to go on strictly liquids for 24 hours..it is hard i do drink protein drinks...on days i struggle i may eat something small thats healthy  nothing fattening or sugary ..since i started my journey in august i lost 29 pounds i even lowered my bmi...surgery is scheduled may 2nd....i know some drs dont require this i want to succeed at times it is hard good luck to everyone on their journey
MsBatt
on 4/28/11 1:06 am
Why are you posting on threads that are three YEARS old?
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 1:09 am - San Jose, CA
Not sure why this "necropost" has been revived, rather than starting a new one, but for the record, the ASMBS has recently issued a position statement about pre-op dieting and the UTTER LACK OF EVIDENCE THAT IT IS NECESSARY OR DOES ANY GOOD, especially long-term insurance-driven diet requirements.  There is poor evidence supporting "liver shrinking" acute diets, and what my surgeon said about this is that bariatric surgeons should expect to find large livers, and to be qualified and skilled enough to deal with them.  The ASMBS didn't have the balls to completely chastise their fatty-hating masochistic surgeons who enjoy torturing their patients, but they DID stand up to the insurance companies.

http://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/ASMBS%20Position%20 Statement%20on%20Preoperative%20Supervised%20Weight%20Loss%2 0Requirements.pdf

It is the position of the ASMBS that the requirement for documentation of prolonged preoperative diet efforts before health insurance carrier approval of bariatric surgery services is inappropriate, capricious, and counter-productive given the complete absence of a reasonable level of medical evidence to support this practice. Policies such as these that delay, impede or otherwise interfere with life-saving and cost-effective treatment, as have been proven to be true for bariatric surgery to treat morbid obesity, are unacceptable without supporting evidence. Individual surgeons and programs should be free to recommend preoperative weight loss based on the specific needs and cir****tances of the patient.

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 1:47 am
I do agree with you that the liquid diets pre-op, or the month long- six week long diets are barbaric.. I do believe the week of very low carb eating is prudent to use up glycogen in and around the liver- making it less likely to slip and slide when being held out of the way. Though some may enforce the diets ahead of time to prevent patients from packing on 20lbs or more on an extended binge.. however, a simple no gain clause should suffice.

They tend to call it a "liver shrinking diet" when actually it's just to make that huge thing less floppy and slick. I guess it's part of the dumbing down approach.. I have yet to see one that explains it properly.
alicesmith
on 9/5/11 3:36 pm
 You may take low calorie food and avid taking fried and high calorie food in your diet, Use lean meat or fish in your diet. You may alo take small portion low fat cheese or  2 eggs or 1 small potato or two tablespoon pasta or rice in your food. Gastric lap band surgety diet before surgery helps you to shrink your liver. Small portion low fat cheese, 2 eggs, small potato 2 tablespoonfuls pasta rice with vegetables
meitel424
on 12/6/08 5:46 am
I had my surgery last August  and was having complications and had to have it out a few months ago.  I am getting it back in on Monday and this is my greatest fear of my liver not being shrunk enough.  Were you watching what you ate the week prior to your surgery?  Good luck and thank you
Michele
Most Active