Recent Topics
Denials
jenniferdbarnes2007 · 1 replies · 64 views
EGD/colonoscopy
390cooper · 3 replies · 37 views
Loop DS vs standard DS
Forever1 · 3 replies · 35 views
Most Active

GRRR! THINGS NEVER TO SAY TO A WLS PATIENT...POST OR PRE OP!

inspiredbyhope
on 3/20/08 7:42 am - A DOT ON THE MAP, NJ
For all you people that have NOT had WLS and dont need it...PLEASE DO NOT TELL someone that had WLS that we can re-gain our weight!   That ****** me off and alot of others!   WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?  Why during such a positive moment in OUR lives would you make such a negative statement?  That to me is like when someone has a baby and instead of saying OHH What a beautiful baby, GOOD LUCK!  I say You know this world is so corrupt and filled with drugs abuse and terrorism I would have never brought a baby into this world!"  OR  If someone came to me to share that they bought a new car ...and my reply was " Good for you, but its just going to get hit or vandalized because of the neighborhood you live in!"   WHY BE SO NEGATIVE!  Does it cost you anything to be NICE, SUPPORTIVE or just say NOTHING! Are you jealous? That something is finally going right in someone elses life?  Does it always have to be about YOU?  Ask yourself some of these questions before you open up your big mouths! Every one I know that has undergone WLS has  done extensive homework and intense research! There are many more risks to this surgery than just the possiblity of re-gaining weight.  If you ONLY knew how stupid you sounded telling us WLS patients about the posiblity of re-gaining weight after WLS! We dont need you NON WLS people telling us like we are stupid! You are just putting a negative twist on things...people that say this to us are just looking to rain on our parade!   If I had a DOLLAR for everyone that SAID "YOU KNOW YOU CAN GAIN WEIGHT AFTER SURGERY" I would be rich! OHH AND ONE MORE THING!  THIS WAS ACTUALLY BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION BY ANOTHER WLS PATIENT....WHO IS TOTALLY CORRECT I DONT KNOW HOW I FORGOT TO MENTION THIS GRIPE!!??  THANKS FOR THE COMMENT!!! And also, when someone tells you that are having WLS don't say, "WHY DONT YOU JUST STOP EATING!!!"

~~ROBYN~~
4 ever in my ...Vincent & Lucas...RIP...mommies lil'

BIGGREENEYEDLADY
on 3/20/08 7:43 am - New York, NY
If you read my post I just posted like 10 minutes ago..has so much to do with this...Im 340 pounds and diabetic, sleep apnia and all that good stuff....I hate when people think they know whats best for YOU....JUST HATE IT!!!

344/227/190
surgery 4-7-08/current/goal 

preview image

preview image

SophieGrace
on 3/20/08 7:47 am - IL
This is one reason I don't tell many people about my surgery. If they don't care enough about me to be supportive, they're not going to know.  I don't even include my mother in that number; she's been awful to me for eleven years over WLS.  She doesn't even know I had a revision. If you're hoping for acceptance from the general public, forget it.   Virtually no one knows I had WLS.  I like it that way. 

SophieGrace 

Wendy_Canada
on 3/20/08 7:58 am - Canada
LOL THANK YOU....................Thanks to you I don't have to say anything ever again.  I just made copies of your post and the next time i will just hand them a copy and say " HERE'S YOUR SIGN" I agree with you 110% Wendy (Orillia Ontario Canada)

inspiredbyhope
on 3/20/08 8:03 am - A DOT ON THE MAP, NJ
LOL thanks for your reply!  making copies is NOT a bad idea! LOL I think from now on when someone asks me how I am loosing the weigh I may say..."You want the truth or what I tell people that I think will give me there ignorant advice on how I lost all the weight!? " hahahahahhaaa "

~~ROBYN~~

Holly Berry
on 3/20/08 8:00 am - Oceanside, CA
RNY on 07/13/06 with
When I tell someone I had WLS, I beat them to the punch.  I say it with the line "of course, this isn't a cure all, we can regain all the weight we lost, it requires a total lifestyle and healthy eating change. Usually, they stop there! Holly

Holly  260/132/125

Lady Bugg
on 3/20/08 8:03 am - West Chester, OH
You forgot to mention that old favorite from uninformed idiots:

"Oh... you took the *easy* way out!"
inspiredbyhope
on 3/20/08 8:05 am - A DOT ON THE MAP, NJ
OHH please I touched base on that IDIOTIC statement the other day! hahahaha  People can be so ignorant and so jealous of other peoples accomplishments.  Its sad!

~~ROBYN~~

Melissa Hoaglund
on 3/20/08 9:32 am - Racine, WI
When I was going thru the approval process, my Dr required I lose some weight. So, I was motivated beyond belief to have surgery, so I lost 20lbs. Well at 350lbs that's not hard to do, at first, so of course a few family members said, well if you can lose that, don't you think you can lose the rest? Well if I thought that, do you really think I'd have WLS? I know myself well enough to know that sure, I can lose 20lbs, but losing more like 120lbs isn't a whole different ball game. And that remark came from someone who wieghed close to the same as me... So I know where you are coming from! Some people's kids,.... LOL

IF GOD BROUGHT TO YOU IT, HE WILL BRING YOU THRU IT!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa, 339 at my heaviest, 3 years out and gained a bit of weight, now I'm ready to lose it !!!

Nothing tastes as good as wearing a regular size feels!!!

inspiredbyhope
on 3/20/08 1:16 pm - A DOT ON THE MAP, NJ
OHH yes...20 pounds wil fall of easy!  I used to laugh and say I could put the 20 back on in one appetize when you are as heavy as I am!  And I know how wonderful it feels to have lost 20 pounds pre op BUT he truth is...I know all to well I would have eventually put it back on plus some extra padding!

~~ROBYN~~

barbccrn
on 3/20/08 1:36 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Know exactly what you mean. I lost 23 lbs pre-op and one of my coworkers said...you don't need surgery;you can lose it on your own. HELLO...180 lbs is a LOT different than a measley 23 lbs. Thats not even the tip of the iceberg!!

PhotobucketPhotobucket

normajeanrocks
on 3/20/08 8:17 am - san antonio, TX
...that ****** me off!!!! That statement is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT true...if they only knew.....grrr!

Norma

Yay! I can see my feet !!!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/08 8:06 am - McKinney, TX
RNY on 03/27/08 with
You know what I hate when you tell people you are having RNY and they say you should have the lapband it is safer. I'm like listen dude I did my research and for my goals and my lifestlye the Band won't do. That irtates the **** out of me.
inspiredbyhope
on 3/20/08 1:17 pm - A DOT ON THE MAP, NJ
OHH yes!  That is another famous line!  ARGH!  If they only knew!

~~ROBYN~~

wendy_fou
on 3/20/08 8:07 am - AR

normajeanrocks
on 3/20/08 8:15 am - san antonio, TX
omg you hit the nail on the head!!! all these things are so true. I have heard many of them. I get tired of hearing" oh why didnt you try jenny craig" or " you didnt try another diet? ...um...DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... thanks for publishing this. 

Norma

Yay! I can see my feet !!!!

inspiredbyhope
on 3/20/08 1:18 pm - A DOT ON THE MAP, NJ
You are very welcome for the post!  Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! I was venting on my BLOG and I thought HMMM..Let me post this and see if I am the only one getting ticked off?  LOL  GUESS NOT!

~~ROBYN~~

lplady
on 3/20/08 8:16 am - Lone Pine, CA
dont forget when the doctor suggests you lose a few pounds before surgery to lessen the fat in te liver and people say the famous " will if you can do it on your own now why have the surgery?" and if you just exercise and eat right the weight will come off!!!
Heidi_R
on 3/20/08 9:19 am - Chapin, SC
RNY on 05/01/08 with
BINGO!  I hear this all of the time.  I am working VERY hard to get some of my initial weight off so I can have safer surgery.  I started Atkins in January at 362 and i am down to 334.  I am hoping to have my surgery next month - appoval pending.....    I hear all of the time....   wow - you're doing great!   You don't need WLS - gyou just need to keep up with what you are doing I used to go through the explaination of - "it's a tool... and blah...blah...blah"   But now - since they don't bother to educate themselves before speaking - I just say ---- Well - I'm good at losing weight - always have been.... I'm just proficient at gaining it back.  In fact - I'm an overachiever!   LOL 
inspiredbyhope
on 3/20/08 1:23 pm - A DOT ON THE MAP, NJ
First off let me congratulate you on your major loss!  That is great!  But I agree without the WLS we will re-gain for certain!  Only we know ourselves and our bodies best!  If these people cant support us then why say anything TO US!?   I love the statement about being proficient in gaining it back!  hahahah  Its so true for all of us! Keep us posted here on the forum about your up nd coming surgery!  Thats so exciting!

~~ROBYN~~