Why Can't I Vomit?

missy-h
on 3/22/08 3:12 pm - Seymour, IN
I too have this issue.....I cannot vomit what so ever!!  I get the nausea feeling, and the only thing I do is gag up some foamies and mucous, and suffer until the feeling passes. I am ok with the situation as I hated to get sick prior wls......but I often wonder if I get a case of the stomach flu that causes vomiting.....what will happen???  I guess I will suffer through and take phenergan. It is crazy how our bodies change after wls...... Missy

Height:  5'2"  Pre-op weight:  297.4    
MyLady Heidi
on 3/22/08 7:28 pm
Thanks Missy, It is a scary thought, it feels like there is something holding it back, almost feel like a band or something down there preventing it from coming up.  At first I thought it was because I was afraid to vomit, now I realize its really because I can't. Hugs Heidi
HelenMaree
on 3/22/08 4:45 pm - Sydney, Australia
HI Sweetie, sorry you are feeling so badly.  I think we cant vomit because once the food leaves our pouches, it cant come back up in to them.  R u feeling better now?  I hate being home alone when I am not feeling well, too. love you Helen.
MyLady Heidi
on 3/22/08 7:30 pm
Hi Sweetie, I went and layed down and yes I am feeling better, but I scared myself pretty good.  I think its from this stupid tooth thats making me sick, it hurts so bad, I am afraid its either infected or dry socket, it just gets worse and worse.  I am gonna call the dentist on Monday. Happy Easter Love You Heidi
barbccrn
on 3/22/08 6:26 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Hmmm...yet another case of how different we all are. Before surgery...I couldn't throw up for ANYTHING...no matter how crappy I felt. Since RNY...have felt nauseous 3 times(yes...chicken all 3 times) and threw up without any second thought.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

MyLady Heidi
on 3/22/08 7:31 pm
It is very stranger and I really don't understand.   Thanks for the support. Hugs Heidi
birdy
on 3/22/08 10:06 pm - Lexington, TN
Hi Heidi. I had dry socket last year and it can really hurt. I had a tooth pulled or I should say cut out because it kept breaking off. I had never heard about dry socket so I didn't know what was going on and DH  thought I was just being a big baby but he had to eat those words. Go to a drug store and get some of that stuff they use on babies gums when they are teething maybe it will give you some relief until you see the dentist tomorrow. I can't remember the name of it but I can't remember anything much. About the throwing up I haven't been able to throw up since I was in my thirties and I am 67 now. I use to eat something and then throw it up so I wouldn't gain weight and then I thought I was the only one that ever did that because it wasn't talked about back then on tv. One day I ate some pizza and couldn't get it back up and since that day I haven't been able to throw up. That was 40 years ago and I worried about it before having my surgery and asked my doc and she just said it would be ok well it isn't. I just go back to bed and try to go to sleep and a few hours later it comes out the other end. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Birdy
AndiCandy
on 3/23/08 1:51 am - NY
cereal and milk makes me sick as a dog and I can vomit from that combo! Interesting though that I can eat cereal like a snack and 30 minutes later i hvae the milk and i'm fine just not together! I hope by now you're feeling better. ANDI
Dream it Live it
1pigflygif.gif
When Pigs Fly
Robin H.
on 3/23/08 3:35 am - Boise, ID
Well, if it makes you feel any better i have been throwing up lately enough for everyone!. I think yesterday i threw up 8 times and have been for the last 7 days..its outragous, my throat is all raw and everything.. I feel ya about the dry socket, you should go see your dentist ASAP so they can pack it, the pack tastes nasty but it make you feel better almost instantly. oh and word of advice, make sure they numb you when they pack it... my dentist didnt this last time i had dry socket and i about died from the pain. Dry socket and kidney stones are the 2 pains i would never ever ever wish upon anyone EVER
I stand in awe of my body.
- Henry David Thoreau

AttyDallas
on 3/23/08 8:58 am - Garland, TX
 I've often wondered if WLS causes or can cause nerve damage down there ..   Ever since my surgery, I have NOT vomited violently a single time .. A few gentle "urps" at most ..  I wonder if I ever had to vomit whether I could (e.g. stomach flu, from eating a poison or ODing on a medication, etc.)  ..
attydallas_dblcentury.jpg picture by cmirving 

Most Active