B-12 shots Vs Sublingual (under tongue)?

inspiredbyhope
on 3/26/08 6:22 am - A DOT ON THE MAP, NJ
I have been reading and many post ops take sublingual B-12 (as I do two times a week) and others I see are taking SHOTS (injections at home.)   I was wondering why the Dr has put you on shots? If you are on shots did you try sublingual first? And does anyone know the benefits of SHOTS VS SUBLINGUAL? (maybe I shoud ask the Dr for SHOTS instead of sublingual or does that depend on your blood test results?) Thanks!

~~ROBYN~~
4 ever in my ...Vincent & Lucas...RIP...mommies lil'

cat59
on 3/26/08 6:23 am - Reydon, OK
Sublingual took over 30-40 mins to dissolve and was too nasty sweet. I do nasal b-12, one squirt in one nostril once a week rotating sides.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/24/14 11:13 pm - OH

If it was taking anywhere near that long for those to dissolve, there was a problem with them! The ones I take dissolve in less than 30 seconds!  Are you SURE they were labeled as sublingual or were they just oral tablets that you were trying to GET to dissolve by mistake???

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jennifer W.
on 3/26/08 6:30 am - Kimberly, OR
IMO--It's a personal decision. For me, I got the nasal sprays and was SHOCKED at the cost (over $100 for a months' supply). I now choose the sublinguals I can get over the counter. My labs were fine and the cost is only a fraction. Getting the monthly shot is an option, if you wanna pay about 65 dollars for the office visit, or less if you do the shot yourself at home. Jen

inspiredbyhope
on 3/26/08 6:35 am - A DOT ON THE MAP, NJ
wow! Thats a BIG $$$ difference!  I will stick to the sublingual...as long s they work as well!  I guess when I get post op blood drawn they will let me know if they are working. Thanks!

~~ROBYN~~

suzanne777123
on 3/26/08 6:39 am - Bristol, RI
Usually sublingual B-12 works for a while, but eventually your body stops being able to absorb it sublingually and then you move on to shots.  It doesn't happen to everyone but it isn't uncommon.  Some people can handle the sublingual for a year or two and others can make it 5+ years with sublingual before having to move to shots...some never have to move to shots.  It's an individual thing.   I'm still on sublingual and I'm almost 2 years out.   Your labs will show if you have issues (another clue is easily bruising - that's a sign that you are B12 deficient so if years from now you start bruising easily have your B12 levels checked).  Suzanne
06/14/06:    Laproscopic RNY.  Down 215 Lbs.    

11/19/07:    Lower Body Lift with auto-augmentation on buttock lift, Breast lift with Auto-Augmentation, extended brachioplasty with Axilla repair.

02/25/08:    Vertical Thigh Lift, Lower Face Lift, Fat Grafting.
adam_
on 3/26/08 6:39 am - Boynton Beach, FL
I chew the sublingual one every night. Is that too often? Should i not be chewing them?

-Adam - 6'6" - From 450 lbs to GOAL in 9 months...
Phase 1: Completed 10/2008.
Phase 2: Weightlifting - Goal: Add 40 lbs of muscle. Completed 2/15/2011.
Phas 3: Cut to 10% body fat.
MY STORY:  imthebiggestloser.blogspot.com/

Kerri G.
on 3/26/08 6:49 am, edited 3/26/08 6:49 am - Overland Park, KS
Adam, They should be placed under your tounge to dissolve. 

Survivor hopeful!  

inspiredbyhope
on 3/26/08 6:55 am, edited 3/26/08 6:56 am - A DOT ON THE MAP, NJ
I suppose that is a question for your Dr or Nut.  I was told by MY DR to take 1 (500mcg) sublingual, 2 times a week, Thur and Tuesdays.

~~ROBYN~~

Gay L.
on 3/26/08 7:09 am - SC
Wow, each doctor is so different.  I was told to take 500 mcg sublingually every day, post-op.  Maybe the time frame changes down the road a few weeks?
Most Active