OT - left leg falling asleep????

wendy_fou
on 5/11/08 6:16 am - AR
I know that happens when you don't get ENOUGH protein, but I get PLENTY.  (I'm usually around 100 grams per day.)  I have never heard of a body doing that when the person is getting plenty of protein in. 
Butterfly Reborn
on 5/11/08 3:49 am
Are you taking a good B-Complex?  If not, start TODAY!  Some B-Complex tablets do NOT contain B1 (thiamine) and this is very important for the nervous system.  If you're taking the average daily recommended allowance of B-Vitamins, take more.  Most are water soluable.  I had drop foot and total left leg paralysis which was cured with excess amounts of B1 (which I still take in high dosages and only test in the middle range) and a highly excessive B12 treatment plan through injections. The good news is that if caught early, nerve damage can be reversed.  If not, it can and will get progressively worse and at some point you will not be able to correct the damage.  I know of a girl in a wheelchair because of lack of B vitamins and treating it too late. Check the backs of your supplements and make sure you are taking over 100% of the RDA of especially B1 but all the others Bs as well.    Since RNY, B12 can't be absorbed from food or regular tablets so you either have to have megadosages of sublingual (which didn't work for me), the B12 nasal spray, the B12 patch, or my preferred method - the B12 injection. I hope this helps!

I have two sides to my brain - a right side and a left side.  The trouble is sometimes there is nothing left in the right side and nothing right in the left side.
Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

wendy_fou
on 5/11/08 6:14 am - AR
I take 2 sublingual B12s daily and my last B12 labs (probably about 2 months ago) were through the roof.  (The lab only tested up to 1200 for B12 and mine came back 1200+.) I take a bariatric prescription multivitamin and I don't know what all is in it. 
Butterfly Reborn
on 5/11/08 11:00 am
Please start taking a HIGHLY DEVELOPED B-COMPLEX and make sure it includes B1.   I do suggest you carry on in the way of seeing physicians but I don't see that you have enough B vitamins in your diet.  There are so many B's that are essential and with our malabsorption issue, you need more than whatever is in your multivitamin.  You problem may be simply related to not enough B vitamins -- particularly B1.  Do a google search of B1 and/or B1 in the post gastric bypass patient.  You'll find a wealth of information. Symptoms as you describe can also be caused by hypothyroidism so make sure your TSH numbers are below 3.00 on your most recent or upcoming labs. I hope this helps!  Go get that B Complex NOW.  Do it TODAY. I hope you feel better soon!

I have two sides to my brain - a right side and a left side.  The trouble is sometimes there is nothing left in the right side and nothing right in the left side.
Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

hopeforme
on 5/11/08 8:17 pm, edited 5/11/08 8:18 pm - Charles City, VA
Wendy,   I dont want to scare you but I had my legs going to sleep just like you.  I would go shopping and stop to look at something and it go dead asleep, this went on for a long time and then I got pain right at the bottom of my butt cheeks, went to doctor and I had 2 blown disk in my back, I did not have back pain.  I had surgery and had 4 srews and 2 rods in back.  When my leg went asleep standing if I sat down it would wake back up, just wanted to let you know. Good luck

Most Active