Flabby Arms... hide 'em or show 'em???

Laura B.
on 5/24/08 7:42 pm - RI
RNY on 10/23/07 with
I am 7 months post op RNY and to-date I have lost a total of 167 lbs!!! I am happy to say that I have no skin issues except for my flabby arms. With the warmer weather coming I am having a hard time deciding whether I should buy short sleeve shirts and make the best of my bat wings or if I should focus on 3/4 sleeves and try my best to hide them...

I'm wondering what everyone else has done. How have you dealt with your bat wings? Do you hide 'em or show 'em???

Laura
sage61
on 5/24/08 7:46 pm - TX
Revision on 03/19/08 with
First of all.. WOW!  167 pounds in 7 months is amazing!  Congratulations!  Ya know, i live in west Texas and it's HOT HOT HOT!  I have always worn tank tops in the summer.  My arms are big but ... well, i'm big!  i think if you feel comfortable, then go for sleeveless! 
Kristie T.
on 5/24/08 7:46 pm - Hamilton, AL
I hate my bat wings but I do wear short sleeves, I don't wear the baby doll sleeve shirts but I'm having a brachioplasty friday and i'm very excited to be able  to wear sleeveless shirts.
Sarahlicious
on 5/24/08 7:48 pm - Portsmouth, OH
I don't have a choice, long sleeves don't fit...it's cap sleeves or tanks for me...all year round...good thing I live in Miami.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Jasmine130
on 5/24/08 7:49 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 09/24/07 with

Yowza Laura, you have lost a LOT of weight at 7 months!  Congratulations!  As for me, I carried a lot of weight in my upper arms; so not only do I have hangy batwings -- the skin on the front of my upper arms looks deflated, crepe-y and wrinkly.  I am fairly traumatized by them! I usually wear 3/4 length sleeves but found some t-shirts at Footlocker (4 for $19) and if I wear the large, they are fairly loose on me but the sleeves come down far enough to cover most of the flappity skin. I think my arms are worse than others I seen on here, so maybe if I can go with "longer" shortsleeves (a little above my elbow) -- you will be okay. :) Jas 

BELOW GOAL! Proud and Grateful Member of the Double Century Club
Pre-Op/Current/Initial Goal:  354/127.5/150
Tummy Tuck and Lower Body Lift Done on 05/11/2009
Mastopexy with Augmentation and Brachioplasty Done on 10/08/2009
 I  My RNY!

April L.
on 5/24/08 7:50 pm - Edgewood, MD
I'm having the same problem.  I will wear sleeveless around the house, but it's 3/4 at work.  Just don't have the nerve to show it all off.  Still, my legs are the worst of it.  I'm scared to have them done.  I've heard too many horror stories on leg jobs! Congratulations on your weight loss.  I also have lost 167 pounds from my highest weight of 365.  I'm now 8 months post-op. Take care. 

April ... My Cup Runneth Over    

High 365/Surgery 337/Current 160/Goal 150
" Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're still here we may as well dance." 

... Andy Rooney

Christine D
on 5/24/08 7:52 pm - Mount Penn, PA
I have wings too.  I wear whatever I want, I just make sure to cover em if I am doing something where I don't want to be flapping around in public...like dancing.  Most of my friends don't notice them unless I raise my arms anyhow (so they tell me) and actually, I figure since the rest of my skin is hidden, I can live with the arms showing from time to time.

278/257.5/155
(highest weight/day of RNY/current and maintaining for over 3 years)

quiltz
on 5/24/08 8:04 pm - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/19/07 with
3/4 length for this kid!  I didn't like my fat arms when I was fat and didn't show them off and for sure they aren't for public inspection now!  It probably gets back to hearing some little kid say, "mommy, look at that lady's fat arms".  I'm sick to death of such comments and will do anything to avoid them.   I actually want my ps on my arms more than my tummy!  I'm not through losing so it is still a bit in the future, but that's my 2 cents.
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/08 8:12 pm, edited 5/24/08 8:13 pm - Decatur, AL
oh i show 'em. the only thing i really have issues with are my upper inner thighs and my rear end and i even show those when i'm out walking (to an extent anyway.) the way i see it, at least i'm not the one who has to look at it!!!
Charle
on 5/24/08 8:30 pm - TX

My arms are really bad.  I thought for sure I would not be buying any shirts without sleves but I have bought several sleveless shirts already. They don't look as bad in them as I thought they would.  Like others said, people don't notice it unless you are waving your arms up in the air.  I would say try different shirts and buy what you like. 

Kerrry
on 5/24/08 8:36 pm - Australia
My batwings are atrocious!! I wear medium short to 3/4 length sleeves. Them, and my turkey wattle neck are the first things to go under the knife when I'm finished losing. Everything else can be covered by clothes, but I want sleeveless tops!!
Lori P
on 5/24/08 8:38 pm - Southern, NJ
Congrats on your weight loss!! I wear 3/4 length as much as possible!

~Lori~  
   ~Open RNY July 12, 2004~Work in Progress,Still Going Strong~

Barbara M.
on 5/24/08 8:53 pm - St. Louis, MO
My skin  issues aren't bad either except my arms, which are terrible.  I am 52, and there just isn't any bouncing back from that.  They are very crepey, and, honestly, I have seen a few people who have had the arm plastic surgery, and I don't think the scarring looks much better. Having said that, I wear 3/4 length to work, or elbow length that aren't very loose.  I don't want folks seeing my jiggly arms.  Everything else looks pretty good, so I create an illusion that the arms do, too! Barb

Barb
233/158/150?

If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.
       - Mary Engelbreit

Jenny R
on 5/24/08 9:51 pm
Tank tops and short sleeves for me honey. I REFUSE to be hot to avoid offending any other persons delicate sensibilites simply because they see my batwings. If you don't want to see em - don't look.  You should see me waving at my kid in the park - I always give and extra wiggle just so they continue to applaud my success every chance I get to hear it! Jen
  ican.png image by BabyRhi rules.png image by BabyRhi
Leslie
on 5/24/08 10:04 pm
Congratulations on losing 167 lbs!! Wow! For me, there's no way I'll be wearing a tank top or really short sleeves until AFTER I get my brachioplasty!!  I have no problem if someone with bat wings wants to show them, but not me!!

4 Years Post Op: At Goal And STILL Loving My DS!  
340/180/180  ~  5'11"  ~   I lost 160 lbs!!  
LBL & Hernia Repair: Done! Arm Lift: Done! Next Up: Thighs & Boobs!
Get the facts about Duodenal Switch at
DSFacts.com

The Contessa
on 5/24/08 10:13 pm
I'm insecure, so I didn't show my arms (except when I was in a bathing suit) when I was 90 lbs. heavier. Heck, I still feel self-conscious about showing my arms even though they aren't flabby. To each his or her own . . . whatever you are comfortable with.

Urawkmiflipflops
on 5/24/08 11:08 pm - HUntington beach, CA

I am 1 yr post op and still not down as much as you :p  CONGRATS~~~~  This is my philosophy.... We worked our asses off literally to get to where we are.  ROCK THAT SLEEVELESS SHIRT PROUDLY.  I have a LOT of extra skin.  My legs being the worst and I rock short skirts... Be proud of your acomplishment and when its hot... wear what is comfy and breathable.  :)  (I just added you on myspace ;)

AngKam
on 5/24/08 11:27 pm - Huntersville, NC
RNY on 03/05/08 with
Congrats to you!! That's an awesome weight loss!! I personally have lost about 80 lbs and have bat wings already. I had large arms to begin with. However, I have an arm full of tattoos, so I like to show them off. I've been doing weights to help tighten them up.. obviously it's not going to tighten everything, but it can't hurt. I wear tank tops and just make sure that my skin is tucked away.. :) I know that I will likely have to have PS to get rid of them, but I say if you are comfortable, then wear short sleeves!! I  won't stop wearing short sleeves. Everyone that knows me knows I was/am big.

Wondering if you're feeling normal?? I blog about everything!! Check my page out for more!
FinallyLosingIt_07
on 5/25/08 1:18 am - Kettleman City, CA
I have really bad batwings that hang down even worse since I've lost weight.  I wear sleeveless tops all the time.  I don't worry about what other people may think of my excess skin, I want to be cool and comfortable.  I guess it just depends on how you feel about it.  Some are self-concious, some don't give a hoot.  I'm one of the ones that doesn't give a hoot.  I will be having a brachioplasty when it's the right time simply because I'm already noticing that my arms have so much excess skin that the sleeves in the smaller shirts don't fit.  Otherwise, I wouldn't do it, but I don't want to have to buy my shirts 2 or 3 sizes too big just so the arms will fit.

Highest weight 360  Day of surgery 289 Current weight 200

CherriesInTheSnow
on 5/25/08 4:31 am, edited 5/25/08 4:35 am
Wear what is seasonally appropriate.  Nothing looks more ridiculous than someone bundled up like Nanook of the North when it's 90 degrees outside.  If you want to wear short sleeves - go for it. There are plenty of options for covering up batwings that don't involve turtlenecks & wool coats ;)  Shrugs, crocheted cardigans and sheer blouses can cover things up but not add bulk and raise your temperature. I personally love 3/4 sleeve tops.  They give coverage if you're looking for that, and they leave your lower arms & wrists bare, which is PERFECT for accessorizing.  In fact, 3/4 sleeves are often known as "bracelet sleeves". CitS