Small Intestine Twisted, Strangled and Grangrened

Denise J.
on 5/24/08 2:13 pm - Waldorf, MD
Hello- I had my weight loss surgery in 2004.  In May of 2007, I was rushed to the hospital unable to breathe and with a very low pulse.  I was put on a ventilator and my husband had to give consent for the surgeons to do exploratory surgery which they later discovered that my small intestine had tied in a knot around my colon.  The intestine had strangled and grangrened.  The surgeons had to remove the entire small bowel and a piece of colon.  The doctors said that I will never eat again unless I have a small bowel transplant, which I am currently on the transplant waiting list.  I have an ileostomy and a drainage tube.  Has anyone gone through this since having weight loss surgery??
PinkFlamingoes
on 5/24/08 2:46 pm - Buckley, WA
Wow ! No , Denise , I haven't heard of anything quite as drastic . I have heard of people having internal hernias which caused alot of problems , but not specifically the same as your case . I am really sorry you went through this . I hope you get your transplant soon . Kathy

Denise J.
on 5/24/08 2:55 pm - Waldorf, MD
Thank you Kathy- Usually I am asleep at this time.  I get my nutrients intravenusely by TPN (Total Parental Nutrition).  It will be exactly one year this month and I am finally getting over the shock of the whole thing.  My transplant team said that the average wait is 7 months.  I had made the mistake of switching to an HMO after having weight loss surgery.  I had started having severe stomach pains in 2006 which would come and go.  Many times I went to the emergency room or Kaiser but the doctors always assumed that I just ate to much because the pain would be over after they administered pain meds.  I have since switched to Blue Cross Blue Shield and I understand more than ever the importance of making sure that the doctors give me the tests and screenings that I need.  Thank you again.
Dee Kay
on 5/25/08 12:10 am

What kind of test (besides the exploratory surgery) would have shown this?  I want to make sure that if anything like this ever happens to me or anyone that I know that I suggest that test! Good luck, I'm so sorry for your troubles.

Dee Kay (5'6" and 40-something yrs...)

Denise J.
on 5/25/08 11:04 am - Waldorf, MD
Besides the stomach pains, I had no other symptoms.  No nasuea, fever, I looked fine, but my stomach would hurt like crazy.  Seeing a gastrologist is my #1 suggestion and I mean as soon as something doesn't feel right with you stomach.  I would also visit one just because I had weight loss surgery and wanting to make sure that internally things were as they should be.  Being in this condition, I wish I would have kept my PPO instead of relying on my HMO to handle my care.  It is just so important to have doctors who specialize in the areas where you need care.
PinkFlamingoes
on 5/24/08 3:28 pm - Buckley, WA
That's pretty scary , Denise . Sounds like you may not have had such permanent complications had the doctors done more testing . You seem to have a good attitude about it all . I really hadn't heard of an intestine or bowel transplant . I hope it happens soon . Kathy

ginawins
on 5/24/08 3:39 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Hi Denise, I am praying for you to get what you need to return to full health.  Did the dr's say that this is because of WLS or could it happen to anyone?  Is this something WLS patients need to check for themselves?  I hope you and your husband can find the peace you need and health returns soon.  Try to get some sleep.  : )  Gina

welcome_to_the_weteos.jpg image by CCRHdirty_birdie_sm.gif picture by CCRHqueen_bee_gina_small.gif picture by CCRH

Denise J.
on 5/24/08 3:47 pm - Waldorf, MD
Hello Gina- This is something that occured because of my weight loss surgery.  My transplant team connected me with a woman in my area who had her transplant done last year.  She had bypass surgery in 2005, her intestine twisted and died in 2006.  Our stories are so identical and it felt good talking to someone who had the transplant and after a year out is doing well.  It is so important to have the right doctors on your team after having weight loss surgery because immediately when a situation arises they will know what to look for and what test to administer.  A gastrologist is a MUST!!
DBlazer325
on 5/24/08 4:14 pm - Portland, OR
Denise: I feel your pain.  I had RNY 8/22/2006 and ended up on a TPN for 1 month, 2 months after my surgery.  It was no picnic in the park.  I could not eat without vomiting up everything, Water and meds both.  Finally, I am healthy, happy and minus 293 lbs down. Peggy
LeticiaVailes
on 5/24/08 8:26 pm - Humboldt, TN
I am so sorry to hear about your problem. PLEASE keep us posted on your condition. WE are here to support you and lift you up with good vibes, well wishes and prayers.  Hugs, Leticia

Work like you don't need the money......
Leticia

Most Active