What could cause dizzy/lightheaded spells??

BustersMommy 2010
on 7/24/08 10:42 pm

Lately, I've been having these spells where I suddenly get so dizzy & lightheaded feeling that I feel like I'm about to pass out. The feeling only lasts for a few seconds, then goes away.  Last night I had just walked into the kitchen and standing in front of the stove, when I got so lightheaded I thought I was going to fall and fought to keep from blacking out. In a few seconds the feeling went away. I don't know what is happening to me, but I'm getting scared. I've been having terrible headaches, then the other day they noticed one of my pupils was oval shaped and larger than the other, and now these weird dizzy spells.....I feel like I'm falling apart
I'm not dehydrated, my blood sugars are in the normal range (98-118), and when they took my BP it was 120/70 which is also normal. I'm still waiting for my lab results so don't know if theres any issues with my vitamins, but I do take them every day and getting plenty of protein (110-120g) a day....anyone else feel like this??? I also have NO energy whatsoever to the point where making it into work each day is an accomplishment right now, so forget about exercise
Sorry, if I sound like I'm whining.....I'm just tired of feeling bad every day, and every time I try to tell my Dr that somethings not right, she just makes me feel like a hypochondriac.

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/08 10:46 pm - Canada
You are probably low on B-12.  When I'm low on it I get dizzy a lot - especially in the dark.  How weird is that?
BustersMommy 2010
on 7/24/08 11:09 pm
That IS strange, and so far I haven't had it happen in the dark before. It's happened before when I was sitting down, standing, or walking.  I do take B-12 every day, but will have to wait for them to call me with my lab results.
Andrea U.
on 7/24/08 10:50 pm - Wilson, NC
*When* are they checking your BP?  Sitting down?  Right after a spell?  During a spell?

Do you have a BP cuff at home?  If so, have someone check it while you are having issues.  Also, have them check your pulse.

It really sounds like low bp.. either vasovagal or postural hypotension.  Either one is a cardiac thing that should at least be checked out.

BustersMommy 2010
on 7/24/08 11:14 pm
These episodes happen so sudden, I haven't been able to have my BP checked immediately after one.  I do have a BP cuff at home, but the last couple times it happened I was at work, once sitting at my desk, and another time walking down the isle.  I do take Lisinopril for my BP, because it was running high(around 150/90) and I take 20mg a day.  The last few times I had it checked it was between 110-120/70 and my pulse around 75-80.   The low BP could be likely so I'm going to ask my Dr..........if I ever can get a friggin appt to see her!  Right now they're telling me the soonest they can get me in is August 14th.....and this is even after I tried to tell them I'm having problems!!
Debbiejean
on 7/24/08 10:52 pm - Shelbyville, MI
Drink more water, check your BP, time to get your labs drawn again
BustersMommy 2010
on 7/24/08 11:15 pm
I'll definately drink more water.  I just had labs drawn on Tues, so just waiting for them to call me back with the results.

queenie7275
on 7/24/08 10:59 pm - W St Paul, MN
I can relate, I've been feeling those dizzy spells lately too. But I just figured it's my body getting use to things. I have an appt on monday, so I'll see then

Sweetsa
on 7/24/08 11:02 pm
I was getting the dizzy spells and often do every now and then, but I actually passed out last week. I called my doctor and she told me it was because I was dehydrated and that I should drink more liquid. I would suggest you contact your doctor because your pupils should not be doing that!
knh771
on 7/24/08 11:22 pm - WY
There are a lot of possible reasons for the dizzy spells.  The best thing to do is call your doc or go to an urgent care facility.  They will probably do bloodwork, maybe an EKG, and other tests.  It could be a cardiac thing, dehydration, it could have to do with seasonal allergies, a vitamin deficiency, a virus... only a doctor will be able to give you a correct answer.
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Unknown

298/272/162/1??
highest/surgery/current/
goal

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1365 views