Does having a cold stop you from having surgery?

SherieL
on 9/7/08 1:17 pm - Tucker, GA
I have a cold and sore throat and my surgery is Tuesday. I do not have any fever. Will this keep me from having my surgery?
TIA,
Sherie

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/08 1:21 pm
It depends on the doctor.  Some will only cancel if there is a fever, others will cancel if you are at all under the whether. If I were you, I would show up and hope for the best but let them know when you get there.

Tara
~Joy~ .
on 9/7/08 1:26 pm - KY

As the other poster said, it depends on the surgeon
Some will do the surgery as long as there is no fever or chest congestion.

Good luck.

kiranicole
on 9/7/08 2:11 pm - WA
I developed a cold 5 days before surgery I started taking zicam and it helped a bit. It also depends on your doctor. I had a touch of a cold still the day of surgery, my surgeon still went ahead and performed since I didn't have a fever. Best of luck.
Kira

Kristie T.
on 9/7/08 2:46 pm - Hamilton, AL
I read similar posts like this in the past and an overwhelming majority said No that it did not stop them from having surgery,  I've had many Operations in the past and was sick for a few of them and the surgeon went right ahead w/ them....  If you do go forward w/ surgery be very vigilant in using the spirometer they give u in the hospital if you don't get one ask for one, that helps w/ preventing Pneumonia and blood clots in your lungs.  After my plastic surgeries in may I took it upon myself to use my nebulizer to help w/ pneumonia, unfortunately after two surgeries I was rehospitalized for pneumonia, the main thing is get up and walking, deep breathing and using the spriomoter after an operation.

Janice B.
on 9/7/08 7:32 pm - Misawa-chi, Japan

Sherie,

I developed a horrible cold the week before my surgery.  Went to the PCM and literally cried.  We through the pharmacy at it and it was only a minor cold when I went into surgery.  The criteria for my hospital was no fever.  I will tell you having to blow my runny nose a lot hurt, but it also helped break up the gas more quickly!  :-)

Janice

Life is too short to eat vanilla ice cream and dance with boring men.

HW: 305/SW: 289/CW: 129

SherieL
on 9/7/08 8:20 pm - Tucker, GA
Janice that is so funny about the gas but I sure it is so true!
Thanks,
Sherie

Janice B.
on 9/7/08 8:52 pm - Misawa-chi, Japan

Sherie,

I will be driving through Georgia and visiting my children in Warner Robins next week.  Will be keeping you extra in my thoughts, especially then!

Janice

Life is too short to eat vanilla ice cream and dance with boring men.

HW: 305/SW: 289/CW: 129

Most Active