OVERDOSE ???????? on B-12 ?????

shutson
on 9/10/08 6:18 am - Dallas, TX

I went for my 6 months post op check up with my doctor on yesterday and all is well. My labs were fantastic however my B-12 level showed 1675, she stated the normal range is between 400-900 so I asked should I stop taking my regular B-12 tablets since my other meds have B-12 in them, she stated "No, you won't overdose or anything like that, your levels are fine so keep taking all your meds and keep doing what you're doing"..............Have anyone else had a B-12 level like mine?

DCGirl26
on 9/10/08 6:23 am - London, UK
Mine was 1162 at three months out (pre-op was in the 300's) however, the normal range on my sheet said 400-1200. B-12 is a water soluble vitamin so there is no set upper limit and technically you can't overdose. Talk to your nutritionist about whether you should be taking them every other day as opposed to everyday that's what I'm doing now and I'll make adjustments if I need to. Good luck!

Back on track as of 11/1/2014

341/183/263/150
HW/LW/CW/GW

Weight loss goal:
Back to Onederland by 3/26/2015

shutson
on 9/10/08 6:26 am - Dallas, TX
Yes, I asked her yesterday should I stop taking them everyday she said No keep taking the B-12 and  all your meds just like you've been doing

jerseyjuji
on 9/10/08 6:34 am
My B12 levels have, as a post-op, always been over 1000, which is optimal for wls patients. I would worry if it started going south!  B12 is one of those vitamins that, if allowed to get too low, can result in permanent neurological damage.  It is a water soluble vitamin, and it is not stored in the liver, so having a consistently high level is preferable to having a low one.

Plum1967
on 9/10/08 6:38 am

Mine just came back at about 1475... high is GOOD.

B vitmins are water soluble, so what your body doesn't need it will eliminate in your urine.  Don't worry about it.  You're doing great.

~wendy

I've partnered with Team In Training to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

If you want to help fight blood cancers, please consider donating at http://pages.teamintraining.org/nj/rnr12/wnystrom.

Thank you for your support!

happy girl
on 9/10/08 6:38 am
mine is always over 2000 and I have never been told to stop any meds, not that I would.  B12 is really, really important.

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Andrea U.
on 9/10/08 6:47 am - Wilson, NC
It is *very* rare, but it is possible to get toxic on b vites.  My nut. has seen it *once* and she said the number was well over 2000.

Should you be worried at 1675?  I wouldn't think so.

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/08 6:51 am - River Falls, WI

My B-12 is consistently higher than expected, but because it stayed over 1000 for nearly a year, my doc and nutritionist agree that I should cut my dosage in half, but never ever stop taking it.

Ann

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/08 6:58 am - San Juan Capistrano, CA
RNY on 07/11/07 with
My B-12 at 13 months showed Greater than 2000 & the Doctor said that was fine.
FastFingers ~*~
on 9/10/08 9:29 am
                                                                                                                                                                                    From Wikipedia:  http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_safe_dose_of_Vitamin_B12

B12 is the only vitamin with no known toxic dose, so it should be safe no matter how much you take. Still I wouldn't recommend absurd amounts - if you take 10,000 times the RDA you might be the person to discover the toxic level. At any rate, taking more than recommended doesn't provide additional benefits and is just a waste of money.

From http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/vitamin-B12-cyanocobalam in.php :

Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin, cobalamin) overdose, toxicity, side effects

Vitamin B12 is considered safe and non-toxic. No toxic or adverse effects have been associated with large intakes of vitamin B12 from food or supplements in healthy people.

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

Most Active