Sophia Maria
on 9/19/08 10:03 am, edited 9/19/08 10:04 am
Well My last visit when I was
diagnosed with low Vit D I told them my symptoms
I was having immediately they suspected low Vit D
BEFORE the blood test.

Extremely tired
aching bones
tooth loss = 2 molars pulled  (pre wls good teeth)
Very bad Depression

They were right
 I had low Vit D confirmed thru blood work
Andrea U.
on 9/19/08 9:24 am - Wilson, NC
Read this article.

A few takeaways:

Vitamin D deficiency was initially linked to the childhood disease rickets, which causes the softening and weakening of bones, often leading to fractures. (In adults, rickets is called osteomalacia.)

But vitamin D researchers have discovered other important functions as they began questioning the inverse relationship between sunlight exposure and increased incidence of many chronic diseases, such as cancer, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.

As the serum 25(OH)D concentration rose above 80 nmol/L, there was a 50% reduction in the colorectal cancer risk.

The risk of prostate cancer is reduced by 50% when serum vitamin D levels are greater than 50 nmol/L.

Vitamin D is integral to the normal function of the immune response.

Also, while not listed in this article, D deficiency has also been linked to depression (which, even in mild forms, can cause fatigue).

Dave Chambers
on 9/19/08 9:33 am - Mira Loma, CA
I've had issues with D. I had an 8 on my first labs with D. On 3 courses of script D, it came up to 14. Then I switched to liquid vitamins, with 600 IU daily, and the levels came up to 33, with the only other D being in my calcium citrate. I now augment my daily diet with 3 of the 5000 IU D3 capsules from vitalady. Recent studies indicate levels abvoe 70 to be best, and with levels of D above 80 to be optimum. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

redheadcurlz
on 9/19/08 9:48 am - Weymouth, MA
i never get sunlight with being a fair skinned freckle face redhead i avoid it as much as possible... and come to think of it i have felt depressed the past few months
Dave Chambers
on 9/19/08 10:58 am - Mira Loma, CA
They do sell "light boxes" designed to fight against what is commonly called Seasonal Effect Disorder, where you feel depressed from not enough sunlight. These have been used in northern hemisphere countries and States for years in winter months. I'm blond, and even though I walk daily for exercise, my D was still too low. I also know that my legs feel a lot stronger using the 5000 IU D3 capsules. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Sophia Maria
on 9/19/08 9:56 am
Jenn616  Low Vit D

can cause you to be tired

your bones to hurt
depression

tooth problems
 and other things

I know from experience
Jenn616
on 9/19/08 10:12 am - Chatham, Canada
Thank you so much for everyones replys, I appreciate and love everyone for their help!

Janet R.
on 9/19/08 11:56 am - Peoria, IL
I have to say that I think getting my Vit D level up has improved my energy level. I was only borderline low and started taking Dry Vit D, 1000 iu a day. I was very ill this past summer with a bowel obstruction surgery that developed infection. I got so weak I could barely do anything. Since I have recovered, I have to say that my energy level is better than ever, even pre WLS. What confuses me about that is that my iron/hemoglobin is lower than it has ever been for me (except when I was in the depths of infection) at 10.8. So I am contributing my increased energy to Vit D levels.
I was doing some internet research on Vit D and found some interesting theories that Vit D helps with glucose metabolism, sugar and carb cravings and PCOS as well....things that many of us with WLS can identify with.
I was talking with a patient today that has MS about Vit D as somewhere I read that it could play a role in MS as well and she said her doctor had told her to get plenty of Vit D and calcium.....I think there is a lot to be learned about this vitamin and many of the docs are not educated on the latest. As a nurse, I know the docs are not always as well educated as we would like to think! Janet

nkysweetlips
on 10/19/10 2:37 am - Alexandria, KY
YES I HAVE REALLY LOW VIT. D AND YES THERE IS DAYS I CANT DO MUCH OF ANYTHING. BUT SLEEP. IM TAKING 2,000MG OF VIT. D3 2,000 ADAY. IM SO TIRE OF BEING TIRE ALL THE TIME. AND SOME DAYS R WORSE THAN OTHERS. IM SO GLAD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. HOPE TO HEAR FROM BACK FROM YOU.
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1377 views