titbouda · 0 replies · 6 views
Frustrated need ideas
Lisa-808 · 8 replies · 108 views
The metaphysical approach
bubbles23223 · 8 replies · 92 views

Oprah getting bypass?

KITTYKAY
on 10/28/08 11:02 pm
I heard on the radio this morning that oprah is getting the gastric bypass? I thought she was against the bypass? Is this just a rumor?

Kitt
 Kitty Kay

Raise awareness - Multiple Sclerosis

RNY 7-30-08
233/150
Mommy O.
on 10/28/08 11:05 pm

Well, I haven't heard about it .. last i knew she wasn't very supportive of the surgery but if she does get it i'm sure she'll make a show about it ..:) 

Amethyst H.
on 10/29/08 8:17 am - WA
I think a lot of people who have had the surgery would formerly have spoken against it... I haven't heard one way or another that she is considering having the surgery... but it wouldn't surprise me if she was able to change her mind... though I didn't realize she had gained enough weight to warrant that.
KITTYKAY
on 10/28/08 11:10 pm
Yeah, I heard she was against it as well. Maybe it was just a rumor. Who knows...thanks for responding.
 Kitty Kay

Raise awareness - Multiple Sclerosis

RNY 7-30-08
233/150
april saleh
on 10/28/08 11:22 pm - logansport, IN
Who knows about Oprah ! She has always said she is against it, on what grounds I am yet to know.
She has had ups and downs in her weight for years. I still can see the image of her pulling that wagon onto her stage full of Hamburger meat in the equivelent of poundage she lost that time. She made such a ordeal over her " ON HER OWN WEIGHT LOSS", then gained it all back plus some.
Don't get me wrong, I love Oprah. I watch her most every day and she stands behind some awesome causes , I just don't get her take on Bypass.....If she does get bypass after years of disagreement , I am sure the media will have a field day with it.

April
We Are All Butterflies, waiting to exit our cacoons.
                                       Rny Gastric Bypass 11/6/2007
                     Starting Weight 359.9- Surgeons Goal: 160
                                     Personal Goal: 130

betty1958
on 10/29/08 6:07 am
I have watched several of Oprah's shows where she has been opposed to weight loss. I also remember that wagon, that 67 pounds and those great jeans that only fit her for a few days. From that show I got the idea of doing the liquid diet. Like Oprah, I lost and then immediately regained, with extra of course. I know I'm not the only one who jumped on that band wagon after Oprah.

I'm sure she is aware that if she has WLS or even supports it, then she may be the catalyst for many people to have the surgery. What if something goes wrong for one of them? What if they lose and regain? I think Oprah may not want to be responsible for what other people do in regards to their weight, so she is very careful about supporting anything with even the potential of a bad outcome. Just my opinion, of course.

For years I was opposed to WLS because I thought it was too drastic and I was afraid. Then there came the time when I was more afraid NOT to have it. I considered it a last resort, which it why I have to make this work. I don't have any other options. I wish Oprah all the luck in the world with whatever weight loss method she chooses.

I am 11 months out and down 130 pounds. I have about 50 pounds to go. This was the best decision of my life but it took me years to decide to do it!
Stella-Blue
on 10/29/08 12:57 am - Where the four winds blow me safely home, NY
Channel 2 has poor reception here...Did Oprah gain it all back?

Start: 487 lbs (8/07) Lost 81 lbs pre op on South Beach. 406 lbs at surgery (6/08). 179 post op, by 2011. I  lost 308 lbs. Gained 98 while pregnant (2012-13) lost all but 25. My goal is to be 179 again!
   siggy1 photo b83557eb-1c5e-4e0a-90b7-89760c2e36e2.jpg   Two years after that.... photo 44fcb3ac-18c4-4dfd-bf38-d324f956cf75.jpg      photo c2781653-fea8-4141-8cac-f0889127d077.jpg  I could not be happier. 

peacefuldaizy
on 10/29/08 1:23 am - South of Buffalo, NY
Haven't heard that Oprah is having GB ... If she does, that's ok.  Everyone is entitled to change their opinions on something.  I used to be VERY anti-wls ... Until I became MO and unable to keep the weight off. 

Annette

Jobsies
on 10/29/08 4:52 am - Pitman, NJ
How many times prior to surgery have each of us said, that's not for me..i can do it on my own. I know I did, many, many times.  Until I continued to fail.

Perhaps Oprah has finally realized the same. Perhaps she has finally realized that WLS isn't the magic bullet that everyone says it is, but a tool -- no different than Bob Green as a trainer, a chef to cook her all the healthy foods.  It's just another tool to add to her tool box.

14 pounds lost before surgery. My first ticker is when I hit onderland: this was my goal when I started on this journey.  I want to focus on that right now...once I get there I can reevaluate.

My second ticker is my dream goal. Even if I only visit there for a short time, it would be nice to see that number just once.  I am pretty sure I'll need plastics to hit this goal.

hokiefan
on 10/29/08 4:56 am - MD
I contend Oprah is anti-wls (at least publicly) because she can't make any money off of it. Marketing books, diet plans, etc...there is financial incentive for her.

Don't get me wrong, I like Oprah but her anti-WLS stance annoys me because she has such influence over so many people, many of who could be greatly helped by wls.
SW: 278.5    CW: 145-150   GW: I think I'm there, learning to embrace it
susie64
on 10/29/08 6:03 am
RNY on 10/17/08 with
I do no****ch Oprah much, but isn't it true that she has had people on her show that have had WLS and she appeard to have somewhat of an attitude towards those people since they had surgery to lose weight instead of 'doing it on their own'??

Highest Wt 278/Surg Wt 246/Current Wt 148.6/Goal Wt 145 (initial goal)   
SonyaB
on 10/29/08 6:25 am - Mantachie, MS
I read in People's Mag that she is having Gastric Bypass.

Sonya
zieberrae
on 10/29/08 9:24 am - PA
Oprah has battled and battled with her weight. I would say she is somewhere around 220-230 now. I dont know how tall she is. You know, I feel the surgery has had alot of the kinks ironed out o f it than many years ago. When a person hits   50 plus it is sooooo hard to lose a large amount of weight. If she's doing it I applaud her. I hope she makes a show about it too. You go Oprah!!!
megcat
on 10/30/08 1:32 am - Holtsville, NY
 I haven'****ched Oprah in a long time. But, I watched the Marion Jones interview yesterday. did anyone see that show? Oprah doesn't look good at all. She had big bags under her eyes. I hope she isn't sick. I think she did gain some weight back.  

tuscana
on 10/30/08 1:55 am, edited 10/30/08 1:55 am - NJ
DS on 11/17/08 with
Hi There!
  Several years ago I went to the "Change Your Life" Convention in PA.  To see her in person is so different from TV.  I know she's done the yo-yo thing and had people to prepare her meals, gone to spas and even trainers through these years. 
  At the time when I saw her while she was touring she was so tiny.  I don't mean stick thin, but small and gorgeous.  She carried herself so elegantly as well.  I didn't get so close that I could get her to sign anything but I was only about 20 feet from her.  She's struggled publically with her weight probably as much as any of us have privately.  I just think she's such a wonderful person.  I think even if she does have a problem with her thyroid, (which maybe is contributing to why she is looking heavy again) that she would consider WLS of some type. 
  By the way, I don't get to see her show much anymore but I will on Friday!  I heard Andrea Bocelli will be on the show!  If you haven't heard that man's voice, IMHO, it is the most beautiful voice in the world as they say. 
Be well,
Tuscana