How much weight did you lose on presurgery liquid diet?

Trudy B
on 10/30/08 12:18 am - Superior, WI
I started my liquid diet early because both my hubby and I were having surgery So I started my liquid diet when he did well a day later... I was on liquid for about 30 days.  I lost 25 lbs.  I was hoping to get under 300 lbs before surgery but I was 3 lbs off going into surgery at 303 guess I should have started that one extra day LOL. 
My hubby was on liquid for a good 2 1/2 weeks and only lost 6 lbs.  That second week  your body goes into kinda a shock and wont let the weight off. 
I don't tell EVERYONE I had surgery.  The only people that know are the people that are at my church my family does not even know.  They don't need to know.  My inlaws know only cuz hubby told them.

Y Trudy Y

southernlady5464
on 9/13/12 9:54 am
My surgeon normally requires a 2 week (under 50 BMI) or a month (over 50 BMI). However I was told NOT to lose weight at all...the only diet I had was the one just before day of surgery...you know the no food and no liquids after midnight? My BMI was JUST above the low end of the cutoff and even losing a couple of lbs would have put me under a 35 BMI.

I can understand wanting to keep it private but you need to realize that you need an answer for how you eat afterwards. People WILL notice.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

poplargreys
on 6/2/15 8:49 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

My surgeon required a 10-day 1000 calorie pre-op diet, and I lost 8lbs in that time according to my home scale.

andy M.
on 6/2/15 10:29 pm - fairfax, VA
with

I was on the pre liquid diet for 12 days. I was supposed to be on it for 2 weeks, but the doctor didnt want me to start it until after my last class with him and that was 12 days before my surgery. I lost 17 pounds in those 12 days. Most it i am assuming was water weight and my liver shrinking (which is the whole purpose of the liquid diet, is to shrink your liver. So its easier for them and safer when they operate on you). I had surgery a little over a year ago now, and for the first 5 or 6 months I didnt tell people except my close friends and some family and then I got to the point where I asked myself what in the hell am i ashamed of? NOTHING!!! Why hide the best decision I have made in my life ( you know besides getting married and having my beautiful son). So now I tell people when asked, I am proud of what I accomplished! WLS is no easy fix! All it is, is a tool, you have to put the work into it if you want the tool to do its job! But hey if your not comfortable telling people, then hey, dont tell people. But just remember you got nothing to be ashamed of, this honestly saves alot of peoples lives and drastically improves ones living. Its a whole new world once you drop the weight

Shar1024
on 9/19/17 10:13 pm
VSG on 09/27/17

I am at my last week of a 30 day preop, on 9/15 h I had lost 14 lbs.

Temerity
on 10/31/08 4:46 pm
Thanks for answering my question and the good advise. 
I have told all of my friends that I plan on getting surgery.  Only a couple have been against me having it done.   I am not ashamed of my decision to get surgery.  I try and keep a low profile at work.  And I have found that keeping my personal life separate is best.
I have done fairly well on my diet for surgery approval.  I lost 34 lbs in 5 months.   Another 20 pounds before surgery would be great.  Makes the idea of the liquid diet palatable.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1387 views