Hypoparathyroidism after gastric bypass

ladavids
on 1/18/09 1:31 pm - Richfield, MN
Hey all! I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with being diagnosed with hypoparathyroidism AFTER gastric bypass surgery? I'm still learning/researching more about this condition and although I haven't been officially diagnosed, I tested out of the normal range (going for additional blood work this week) at a recent doctor visit.

I'm seven (7) and a half years post-op and am currently at 161 lbs. I've gained 11 pounds in five months without really changing any of my exercise/eating habits (which are overall, healthy). I know that weight gain and extreme fatigue are both signs of this condition.

I'd appreciate hearing about others' experiences with this condition.

Leah D.
Minneapolis, MN 
Pre-Op: 268.5
Lowest: 129
Current: 161

foobear
on 1/18/09 1:42 pm - Medford, MA
I take it that your serum calcium levels were low, along with your PTH levels?

/Steve
ladavids
on 1/18/09 1:43 pm - Richfield, MN
Yes, I believe so. I'll find out more from the doc this week. Just looking for an answer to my recent weight gain and fatigue as well.
foobear
on 1/18/09 1:56 pm - Medford, MA
I'm not an expert, but weight gain doesn't strike me as a characteristic sign of hypoparathyroidism.  Low calcium levels can cause problems with muscle signaling, but "fatigue" is too general a term to describe the issues. 

Hope you get this cleared up by your docs!

/Steve
butterfly4me
on 1/18/09 2:25 pm - Claremont, CA
Hi Leah,

I have hypothyroidism which causes weight gain and fatigue, but I am not sure that those symptoms are also part of hypoparathyroidism.  I haven't had the surgery yet, but was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after having my second child, after gaining 30 pounds in one month.  If I were you I would research it and find out more about it.  The thyroid is very complex and when you have issues such as these there are several symptoms that coincide. 

Good luck to you.

Cheryl

SW-270 CW-197.5 GW-160    I am 5' 8"

I am working towards becoming the butterfly that I know is inside.

Bonamy
on 1/18/09 2:35 pm - Wyoming County, NY
Still pre-op but I have Hypothyroidism diagnosed a few months ago.  I can't see a surgeon till it is under control and tests normal.  Several good sites:

www.thyroid.about.com
www.stopthethyroidmadness.com 
thyroid.about.com/library/howto/htthyroid-test.htm

I began feeling better within a few days of taking Synthroid.  I had fatigue, constipation, hair loss, thinning outer eyebrows, sleep issues and joint aching that they told me was arthritis it is all reversed quickly on starting the daily meds.

Best of luck with your tests and follow up.

HW 365/SW321                                                        Walk or Run 200 miles in 2010 

luvsexytrstno1
on 1/18/09 2:52 pm - Anchorage, AK

I have4 had hypothyroidism since I 14 years old.  I have to be carefully monitored as my thyroid can go from non functioning to thyroid storm (critically high).  The thyroid isn't called the master gland for nothing.  You can be fatigued, or hyper (almost manic), you can have depression, hair loss, bulging eyes, suicidal thoughts, weight gain or loss, muscle and joint pain, dry skin, or acne, heavy periods or none at all.  It can also cause mental retardation if your levels are low during a pregnancy.   It is very serious.  You can get a tsh (thyroid stimulating hormone), free t4, or a thyroid panel done to check it out.
When my mother was pregnant with me, they gave her thyroid medicine to help her loose weight, they didn't know that it crossed the placental barrier, now they know different.  It also was prescribed for weight loss cart Blanche in the 60's and 70's.  

Jupiter6
on 1/18/09 4:53 pm, edited 1/18/09 4:54 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
My PTH is also very high and calcium relatively low. I went to a rheumatologist, and she suggested that I *not* increase my calcium (I take 1600 mg daily) but instead bump up my Vitamin D so I better absorb the calcium I already take. I now take 50k iu of D-3 daily.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

mittenfarm
on 1/18/09 10:33 pm - County Line, MI
I agree with the previous poster. If your PTH levels are out of wack it is an indicator of poor calcium absorption and possible depletion of bone calcium stores. You most likely need to be taking more dry vitamin D3. I also take 50K/day of this, but I am a DS'er and we have huge issues with D levels as a general rule. I am also not as far out as you, but at the moment all my levels, including PTH are good. You might want to have a bone density scan to make sure you haven't depleted bone calcium stores. Also make sure you are taking calcium citrate, not calcium carbonate.
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

cathy8105
on 1/19/09 12:14 am
I take thyroid medication daily. It has made a huge diffreence in how I feel and my general energy levels. My doctor described checking thyroid function is like a target. For years doctors thought if your numbers were "on the target" somewhere you were  "normal"  Now the thinking is that you need to be in the "bullseye" range or you can have negative effects. It may take a series of tests and trying medication to regulate it.  Good luck. I should have stayed on medication  all alolng and I would not have gained all of my weight. Now I have surgery and my thyroid straight-- hooray!