pain just above belly button

1bigbear
on 1/20/09 4:01 am - mount.airy, NC
I was wondering if any of you have had a bowel obstruction and what are the symptoms?For the last 2 days i have been in pain just above belly button ,nauseated and not been able to eat very much also i have taken merilax to see if that would get me going but it hasn't help what should i be doing i'm just really tired of feeling this way !! I had RNY surgery 8 months ago and am getting in all my fluids and protein and am walking everyday!
agt1965
on 1/20/09 7:07 am, edited 1/20/09 7:07 am - Winfield, AL
 Appendicitis can do that...usually migrates to the right side after a few days

50 pounds lost pre-op!
Janet R.
on 1/20/09 10:37 am - Peoria, IL
HI. I had a small bowel obstruction at about 10 mos after lap RNY and about 120 lbs lost. Mine was due to an internal hernia. The internal hernia had caused intermittant pain above the belly button sometimes and sometimes to the right of the belly button like gall bladder pain. I had my gall bladder checked out and it was OK. I had an exploratory lap on June 6 and an internal hernia was found and repaired. Then on June 17, I had sudden onset ofEXTREME pain with almost immediate nausea and vomiting. The pain was much like I had been having, but worse. I had emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction due to another internal hernia.
So, I would say that if this is a recurrant problem you should talk to your doc about an exploratory lap...but that did not end up preventing me from an all out obstruction. If you have any questions I can answer about my symptoms or anything, I would be happy to answer. Janet

PATTI T.
on 1/20/09 10:55 pm
Janet,

I have been having pain directly under my right brest bone, I know it isn't my Gall Bladder as I don't have one.  I hate to call the Dr. my bowels seem to be normal.  Have you ever experienced this kind of pain?

Patti

Patti

Janet R.
on 1/29/09 10:37 pm - Peoria, IL
Sorry it has taken so long to reply. Yes, I had pain right under my right ribs with my bowel obstruction and yet never had any constipation or diarrhea. The pain started in that area and then seemed to move across my abdomen and then down. As a nurse, I have access to my test results and when I looked at my CT, I understood why that pain changed. With the obstruction to my bowel the bowel became dilated or stretched since nothing was able to move through. However, with the internal hernia prior to the bowel obstruction, I would have pain there and then sometimes it would move accross my abdomen, but the onset would be sudden and when the pain stopped it would be sudden. So, I imagine I was getting some partial obstruction from the herniation of the intestine that would eventually reduce itself and relieve the pain.
I would like to know how you are doing, so let me know if you can. Some of the docs don't seem to want to recognize this problem so if it has continued you may have to really assert yourself with your doc.

PATTI T.
on 1/29/09 11:15 pm
Thank you, Janet.  I am not having the pain anymore.  I was becoming constipated.  I think it is from the Calicum.  I am much better now.  I went back to my refried beans for a few days to bulk up on the fiber.  I do not want to feel like that again.

Have a great weekend!!

Patty
Most Active