My Poop Clogs Toilets!!!

anne_b
on 2/22/09 11:42 am - Covina, CA
We live in a house that was built in the late fifties.  We have had our share of plumbing problems so I have never been all that concerned when I have pooped and clogged the toilet at home.  I began keeping a plunger in the corner of my small bathroom for the last few months because almost every time I pooped, the toilet would back up.  Not a big deal, nothing to be concerned about, this is just the consequences of living with old plumbing, right?

Then it got worse.  One day I had to poop when I was at Target, and the toilet clogged.  Must have been someone that used the toilet before me and flushed a diaper.  Certainly that was reason.  But one day while I was at work, I had to poop and shock and dismay, the toilet backed up.  Well, it certainly couldn't have been a diaper that was accidentally flushed because I work in a high security building and have yet to see a baby with the proper security clearance even enter the building.  Perhaps an irate employee flushed a used Kotex pad or roll of paper towels shortly before I used the toilet.  My rationalization seemed entirely plausible.

Until this Friday, when I pooped again at home.  This time though, the plunger didn't work.  So I got out our trusty snake which would cause the clog to slither down the pipes and out of my life.  But that didn't work either.  I then got out the "big guns," an old garden hose that was flexible enough to act as the Boa Constrictor of all plumbing snakes.  To my dismay, it didn't work either.  Finally, my last shot was connecting the old garden hose to the bib outside and turning on the water full blast.  This was a great trick my Dad had showed me when I lived by myself in my condo right after college and couldn't afford to hardly buy toilet paper, much less hire a plumber.  Alas, this technique didn't work either, and now my clogged toilet had overflowed all over the bathroom floor.

After much sadness and meditation, I finally admitted to myself that my plumbing capabilities had failed me.  Yesterday morning, still wallowing in defeat, I called the Roto-Rescue guy, or whatever they call themselves these days.  Oh hooray, someone would be out to unclog my drain within the hour.  The guy arrived, and an HOUR AND A HALF later, the clog was gone.  So was $329.50 of my hard-earned money.  My only consolation is that it took the guy 90 minutes with a power snake to unclog the drain.  If I had continued to remain in denial and use the plunger, I would have finally gotten my toilet unclogged in 2011.

While my story has a happy ending, especially for the Roto Rescue guy, and while I most assuredly shared TMI, I can only wonder if other bariatric post-ops are having the same problem.  Have you suffered from similar plumbing problems?  Does your husband accuse you of all sorts of sins, including using too much toilet paper?  Do your small children laugh at you?  Or am I the only one *****ally does seem to be able to "sh-t a brick?"  Please share your experiences...  if you dare!
Highest Known Weight:  312 lbs.
Weight on Surgery Day:  302 lbs.
Current Weight:  197 lbs.
Weight Lost:  -115 lbs. from Highest Weight
Goal Weight:  165 lbs.
Weight Loss Needed to Reach Goal:  32 lbs. to Go!

terrialbri
on 2/22/09 12:01 pm
Anne, I thought I was going to P myself reading your story.  I am sorry if laughing insults you, but I can relate and laugh at myself.  I have no solution for you other than the one your hard earned dollars took care of, but I fedl better knowing that I'm not the only super-pooper.  There may be others', but somehow I don't think they are coming out of the (water)closet.    Thanks for the laugh!!!

Terri
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Phil.4:13

taw18220
on 2/22/09 12:06 pm - Tomball, TX
OMG, thank you for the giggle and I want to say I am so impressed with your plumbing skills!   I dread plumbing repair.  Amazing.  I think there are several that have been there, done that.  Are you incorporating a fiber supplement in your diet?  If not, I recommend it.  It makes life so much easier.

Thanks for sharing, I mean that.  I"m still smiling too.
Dave Chambers
on 2/22/09 12:08 pm - Mira Loma, CA
With a $329 plumber bill, I bet some roots had gotten into your sewer line. In CA, it's the law the all new construction has to have "low flush" toilets, and that may be case in your area too. Since you said your home was built 50 years ago, I'm guessing the owner your home (you or a previous owner)  may have replaced your tolet(s) in recent years. These low flush toilets have "issues" with solid wast.  The newer low flush toilet (better brands like Kohler, etc) have better designs to utilize the low flush water amounts, and these rarely clog. I've replace my toilets in my 1977 home with low flush. First replacement I regretted, and modified the "guts" for a higher flush volume, as it constantly clogged. I did replace the other two with "high rise" seat type Kohler toilets and these rarely clog. Constipation can be an issue as a post op, and I'm guessing this may the issue in your case. "Logs" have a difficult time going through the newer toilets, and that's probably your issue. At home, I'd opt for a better toilet. That was my decision here. But you can't control what you have to use in public. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

BigRed23
on 2/22/09 12:11 pm - IL
You  made me smile with your super poop.
RAD
on 2/22/09 12:35 pm
i used to have that problem...but since i had my gall bladder out 18 months ago i have the opposite problem.....

Ruth Ann 

fudgefree
on 2/22/09 12:49 pm - Auburn, CA
Oh yeah, it's not just me !
It's my family.
All of our tolits overflow.
This month is was mine.
Our house was built in 1965 so that's my excuse?
No, it happens @ work & at my former house which was built in 1985.

So, my lesson....coursey flush ...not for others, but for me so it goes down before time to settle & expand.

He he he

Bonnie HW 278  /  SW 251.4  /3-13-10 now 179.5 /  Goal  150

KPpatient2
on 2/22/09 2:56 pm, edited 2/22/09 2:56 pm - CA
OMG! We must be twins seperated at birth. I am convinced I now have mega colon or something. It is horrible, can't "GO" anywhere without issues of backed up plumbing. I was ready to confess to my Doc that something was horribly wrong.  BTW, It is NOT the plumbing. But then I would make a truck driver proud
                                                                                      Your twin  lol

erin J.
on 2/22/09 8:18 pm - PITTSBURGH, PA
I will be sharing this with my husband because he seems to think that I am the only one who clogs our toilet at home.  Everytime I poop, I end up having to plunge and plunge and plunge then flush and repeat 3 times.  Unbelievable!!! I keep telling my husband that we need a new toilet but he never has these problems, but he  rarely stands there watching to see if the contents do in fact disappear for real.  I stand there, hoping and praying, rooting it on to get in the hole but to no advail....gurgling is all I seem to get.  Resume plunging!!!

Your indiscrete accounts made me laugh out loud and made me feel a little better....knowing that I am not alone in the land of unflushable and cloggable poop!

Thanks!!!
Erin

Onederland..... life is grand!!! WELL IT WAS WHEN I WAS THERE; NOW LIFE SUCKS!
I bleed Black n' Gold....STEELER FOOTBALL.....it's in my soul!

If you want the rainbow you've got to put up with the rain!!!

bigkey97
on 8/11/13 12:49 am - OH
I showed this to my wife. She feels she's the only one. Please contact me.
Most Active