nikki050 · 62 replies · 1535 views
Ridiculed in public
shining_starre · 46 replies · 2339 views
Rushing
magoo1017 · 46 replies · 1497 views

Rash under my now hanging belly!

Louisette
on 3/25/09 6:48 am - NY
OK, so this rash has developed under my "apron." I 've never had a hanging apron or a rash before, so this is a first..  It is wider than my c-section incision, red and warm to the touch.  It looks really red and goes into my pubic line.  It also itches at night only. 

To cover all bases, and to get my insurance company to cover plastics (which they do :) ) I have an appt with my primary to thoroughly document it and I've taken pictures for my own records.

DO I need to do anything else?

I keep the area dry especially after a shower using a blow dryer on cool to really dry it off.  I'm really worried when the summer arrives and its hot and humid!

Thanks, 

Lynn  
5"11"
RNY 11/06/08
 330 ~136 
(Past, Present)

panorris
on 3/25/09 6:54 am - Las Cruces, NM
RNY on 03/09/09 with
I get that rash frequently below my belly and also under my breasts.  I use the blow dryer to dry very well and follow up with a liberal amount of gold bond powder.  This seems to keep things in check.

Pat

Starting Weight:  282 lbs.
Day of surgery:  224 lbs
Current weight: 116.0 lbs
Goal weight:  135 lbs.

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/09 6:56 am - Sevierville, TN
I use Desitin on mine. It covers and keeps it moisture proof for a few days so it can heal. Clean the area good with soap even though it stings. Desitin or anything with zinc will help but don't put anything on it until after your doctor documents it.
Karen
KissTheSky
on 3/25/09 7:00 am - Narara, Australia
VSG on 04/15/09 with
This is a fungal infection and is really easily treated.

An anti fungal power will do the trick, if applied once a day after your shower.

Talc is better than creams for you...but you can get a spray talc

Here's a link to a produt in your country

http://it.truveo.com/Ting-AntiFungal-Powder/id/1086420412

Good luck!
WiggyMagPye
on 6/26/11 1:22 pm
 Women should NEVER use talc as it has been reported that it can contribute to ovarian cancer.  An anti-fungal powder from your family doctor or GYN is safe but NOT TALC.

*Uterine & Ovarian Cancer Survivor
MsBatt
on 6/26/11 1:32 pm
Then why haven't they taken it off the market???
WiggyMagPye
on 6/26/11 6:41 pm
That's an excellent question! I don't have a answer for you but feel free to google it and see what you find.  I imagine it's still on the market for the same reason cigarettes, aspartame, etc......$$$$.

PixieDust8
on 3/25/09 7:11 am - DE
I get this rash more in the summer/warm months I call it the "FGR" " FAT-GIRL-Rash" he he!

I use a thin layer of Zinc Oxide every night after my shower and it keeps from getting this. Also i have a script i got from my OB/GYN i cant remember the name of it excatly but its very strong and normally if the rash is bad i will put that on instead of the zinc and its gone by morning!
PixieDust8
on 3/25/09 7:12 am - DE
one more thing, after my shower i take  the blow dryer under my fold and make sure its very dry and no extra moisture then apply the cream(s)

Hope this helps!!!

mandy!!!
(deactivated member)
on 3/25/09 7:23 am, edited 3/25/09 7:23 am
Vagisil (yeast infections)
and
Tinactin spray/cream (fungal - athletes foot)
Depends on what is cooking there.

Watch out for heavy creams like balmex, desitin, etc. They can also seal in the moisture, which you don't want either. So people it works well for, others not so much.
Susan S.
on 3/25/09 7:23 am - Roselle, NJ
RNY on 02/06/07 with
 There is also a gel and/or cream by monostate - for antichafing - that is both very soothing and has anti-fungal ingredients in it....I used it preop for thigh rub and under my belly and breasts......and it worked very effectively.   Document this all as you know........Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/09 7:34 am
Zeasorb powder from CVS or Walgreens... works like a charm.
kandymc
on 3/25/09 8:31 am - Summerville, SC
Go to your doctor! If you go to your PCP each time this flares up it will be documented. If it it documented then you can get a referral and most insurance companied will pay for a tummy tuck or whatever needs to be done. Not only in the tummy area but others where rashes form. It is considered a health issue and can be taken care of. This was told to me by someone who does billing for a hospital.

Height 5'4" This is weight lost after my Lap RNY on March 11, 2009

knh771
on 3/25/09 8:54 am - WY
My doc diagnosed this as a yeast infection.  I have a prescription cream that I use when it flares up.  One thing my doc suggested was getting a baby's receiving blanket, cutting it into strips, and placing a strip under your apron to reduce irritation.
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Unknown

298/272/162/1??
highest/surgery/current/
goal

Disappearing Me
on 3/25/09 9:08 am - Murphysboro, IL
I've had trouble with these, too.  I love the Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel! 

Also, my OBGYN gave me a prescription once for Nystatin powder, and every time it flared up, I used it and it was gone the next day.  I'm going to have to ask my regular doctor for some more.
Carolyn M.
on 3/25/09 11:21 am - Carrollton, IL
I have not had WLS so I have a apron that hangs down to my knees, I do not have any problems because I use Stick antipersirpant ( under-arm)  I dry first and  then roll this on after every shower.
My aunt gave me this suggestions and she uses a certain one but I use secrect or dollar general band.
I use it under my arms, under my boobs, and in the folds of fat that lay against my legs and undernearth
hope this helps.      Carolyn
jojoplus2
on 3/25/09 11:24 am - MN
Lap Band on 04/17/08 with
I have a prescription for nystatin cream - if it's real bad or the powder. It usually clears up in a day or two. Yes, get it documented by your doctor! Good luck to you!

Jojoplus 2 aka Joanie
Total unfil 8-19-10 -4.6ccs
Refill 8-30-10 to 2.5ccs
2nd Refill 9-20-10 to 3.55ccs

Louisette
on 3/25/09 11:27 am - NY
Thank you everyone for responding and offering suggestions!  I LOVE this board!

Lynn  
5"11"
RNY 11/06/08
 330 ~136 
(Past, Present)

meli66
on 3/25/09 12:01 pm - duncanville, TX
i have that rash under my belly,under one arm,behind both knees,both ankles and on both inner thighs,back of neck and one arm not all at once but randomly i say keep them clean and dry and use desitin or another diaper rash oitment.good luck!
MommaJean
on 3/25/09 1:37 pm
Hello. I've been having this rash before my surgery. I've used all of your ideas over time. Also, use a white towel,folded, wrap an elastic  wrap (ace 3" wide) around body. hook with safety pins. This works to keep me dry when I'm sweating a lot.  Along with the powders. Takes some getting used to. I'm lucky my kid helps me. Thanks for listening.