Recent Topics

Chest colds?

Jennifer M.
on 3/29/09 9:49 am - Deal Island, MD
Im just curious what we can take for upper respitory colds. Im coughing my brains out. Can we take mucinex? I took some tylenol cold, but idk if there is anything stronger I can take for this.PLEASE let me know guys! Thanks! 

Super proud mommy to Dylan, Owen and Sophia Brianne!

shackett0426
on 3/29/09 9:52 am - Beloit, WI
I have a chest cold now and I take Robitussen. It is helping. If I am not mistaken, Mucinex is extended release and we are recommened to not take extended release pills. I would try the Robitussen, Good luck
-Da Dream-
on 3/29/09 9:55 am - Golden State, CA
RNY on 08/18/08 with
ROBITUSSIN DM BLACK, AND RUB VICK'S VAPORUB ON UR CHEST, BUT THE BEST IDEA IS TO GO SE UR DOCTOR, CUZ U MIGHT HAVE AN INFECTION, THERES SOMETHING CALLED
AZYTHROMICIN AND ITS THE BOMB BUT ITS BY PRESCRIPTION ONLY, ITS ONLY 5 PILLS BUT THEY WORK. TRUST ME.!! MY DOC AT STANFOR PRESCRIBED THAT FOR ME SO I KNOW ITS GASTRIC BYPASS SAFE.

Its not what they know,  its what they can prove.
~Alonso ~
(from the movie training day)

IM  ALSO ON FACEBOOK. :)

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/09 10:02 am
I just am getting over mine, but thank God it didn't get into my chest...just the tickle in the throat and stuffed sinuses......anyhow, Sudafed works good and we are allowed to have it. Niquil at night to help me sleep (I halved the dose, knocked me on my ass! Was surprised! LOL) Vicks below nostrils, nasal spray and off to sleepy land.

One thing, this is the first cold I have gotten since quitting smoking in July, and the first one in 33 years that didn't move down into my chest and left quickly..... so glad I quit.
Jennifer M.
on 3/29/09 10:03 am - Deal Island, MD
Thanks guys!!! Will call doc tommorrow and try what u said for the rest! Mwah!

Super proud mommy to Dylan, Owen and Sophia Brianne!

Meredith I.
on 3/29/09 10:15 am - New Bern, NC
I have a cold right now!  It's not that chesty... yet, but I have been coughing my head off.  Yesterday I coughed so much I gagged and almost threw up!  It must take a lot to make me gag 'cause I haven't gagged once since my WLS.  I haven't been brave enough to take regular Robitussin.  It has sugar in it.  I bought myself some "Diabetic Tussin" which has the exact same ingredients as Robitussin, just without the sugar.  Mucinex is time released, so we can't take that.  My cold got so bad yesterday that I had to take something stronger.  I had some "Tussionex" prescription cough medicine in my medicine cabinet which is in a sweetened suspension.  So I spoke to my pharmacist and he said since the dose size is so small, one teaspoon, the calories would be very few, maybe 15, so I chanced it and I was fine.  "Tussionex" includes a strong narcotic (Hydrocodone), so I only take it if my cough gets severe.
Meredith  Music Teacher in New Bern, NC (lost 48 lbs PRE-op!!)
http://bangertmusic.tripod.com/myweightlossjourney

Ceres
on 3/29/09 2:55 pm - Ormond Beach, FL
I had a terrible chest cold too.  It lasted ten days and was the first cold I had in years.  I took tylenol cold symptons.  They have a multi box for day and night and it was the only thing that gave me relief. 

I am 11 months post-op....just FYI

HW 322/SW 309/CW 195/GW 141
                                          Lost 13lbs before surgery