bloating & gas 2 yrs after RNY

suayq
on 7/2/09 5:41 am
Has anyone else experienced terrible bloating (where your stomach grows to look as if you're 6 months pregnant) along with pain and lots of gas.  These symtoms started at about 18 months after my RNY procedure.  The doctors have found no adhesions or blockages to explain this and I was hoping that someone else had experienced the same and got some answers.  Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
Dee Kay
on 7/2/09 6:21 am

I did experience this once for about three days.  I believe I had an intestinal bug, it was attributed to a flu that was going around.  It was horrible, painful and uncomfortable.  I am careful with foods that create gas since then though.  Just in case it wasn't the flu. Hope you feel better soon.
Dee Kay (5'6" and 40-something yrs...)

JB1114
on 7/2/09 7:25 am - Grain Valley, MO
I'll be a year out on the 8th.  Just recently I've been experiencing some bloating and stomach pains.  I've figured out it is due to milk.  Everytime I drink milk, I get really uncomfortable so maybe you have a lactose intolerance problem.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

ladynitewolf
on 7/2/09 8:04 am - BFE, CA
There are usually a couple of suspects for this.

1) Something you are eating is causing the gas. Start eliminating the obvious things - carbs like bread, rice, etc. or perhaps milk. See if it makes the gas stop. It will be a process of elimination, but it may pinpoint things for you.

2) You have bacterial overgrowth syndrome. The cure? A round or perhaps a maintenance dose of Flagyl. If your doctor won't prescribe it, you can get it over the counter at pet supply stores as Fish Zole. It's the same stuff and does the same thing. As you come off the flagyl, you may want to start up with probiotics to repopulate your intestines with the good flora that we need.

These are the least invasive of the things that could be happening. Good luck!

~ Sarah P. 
Ask me about pregnancy after the Duodenal Switch!

They're here! My surro-sons were born July 21, 2009. Welcome to the world, Benjamin and Daniel. We love you very much!

suayq
on 7/2/09 8:33 am
Thanks for all of the responses to my question.  Unfortunately, I have already done the flagyl route along with tests to see if other bacteria, etc might be present, upper GI series and trials of elimination of foods (dairy, artificial sweeteners, grains, etc).  Nothing seems to make a difference.  All that works is going without food, which of course I can't do over the long haul.  the doctors are stumped!
(deactivated member)
on 12/25/11 12:57 pm, edited 12/25/11 1:01 am
I just found this old post (see below from Valerie G.) after looking for solutions to my severe gas and bloating, and this post is definately correct... overeating of simple carbs, artificial sweeteners and milk, ie; lactose intolerence, are the main culprits. Anyone who says they are not, should make sure to journal (as I have started doing for the last few days) and they will find out that their consumption of these things are probably the cause, as it is for me... I've eaten little protein, and overeaten almost daily, simple carbs, washed down with gulps of milk, and extra splenda in my more than normal amount of decaf coffee each day.

When I follow the lifestyle guidelines: Protein first, exercise, no snacking, drinking enough water and taking my vitamins...I feel amazing, and this has not been the norm for me lately, during this holiday season...

My normal day of supplements consists of:

A Multi-vitamin
Calcium
Oral B-12
Oral B-Complex
Calcium Pyruvate
and twice a week I get a B12/MIC/Chromium injection
and twice a week I get a B6 injection

I eat:

12 servings of protein - 1 serving is 1 oz. or 28 grams
2 to 4 servings of fruits and/or veggies - 1 serving being one cup

You too, will feel amazing with these back to basic reminders along with my suggestions for adding the calcium pyruvate and to find a health/wellness clinic or pcp that will prescribe the injections...

Happy New Year and good luck getting back on track and staying there, for a lifetime of better health, more energy and to the loss of groggy, gassy, bloaty feelings of garbage!
(deactivated member)
on 12/25/11 12:59 pm
On July 2, 2009 at 6:41 PM Pacific Time, Valerie G. wrote:
Gas as a rule is pretty controllable by what we eat.  The three biggest causes of gas are:

1) Simple carbs (breads, sugars, pastas, etc)
2) Artificial Sweeteners
3) Lactose Intolerances (may include whey protein, and may not include all lactose products)

You can try eliminating these one at a time or all at once and see if you notice a difference after a couple of days.  Then reintroduce one at a time and see what gives you a reaction to pinpoint the culprit.

Now, if none of that works, you may have an overgrowth of bacteria in the small bowel.  You can try adding probiotics if you don't already (I find a daily cup of yogurt works wonders for me).  The last step is
seeing your doc for a course or two of antibiotics, which you will follow with probiotics.  Flagyl seems to be the antibiotic of choice.  I used it about a year and a half out myself. 
I'm sorry, this is the post I was referring to...
Valerie G.
on 7/2/09 11:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Gas as a rule is pretty controllable by what we eat.  The three biggest causes of gas are:

1) Simple carbs (breads, sugars, pastas, etc)
2) Artificial Sweeteners
3) Lactose Intolerances (may include whey protein, and may not include all lactose products)

You can try eliminating these one at a time or all at once and see if you notice a difference after a couple of days.  Then reintroduce one at a time and see what gives you a reaction to pinpoint the culprit.

Now, if none of that works, you may have an overgrowth of bacteria in the small bowel.  You can try adding probiotics if you don't already (I find a daily cup of yogurt works wonders for me).  The last step is
seeing your doc for a course or two of antibiotics, which you will follow with probiotics.  Flagyl seems to be the antibiotic of choice.  I used it about a year and a half out myself. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active