Can you EVER take NSAIDS after weight loss surgery.?

kaykay9.0
on 7/19/09 6:02 am - Plano (suburb of Dallas), TX
Valerie G.
on 7/19/09 11:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
The RNY is the only one that is restricted from NSAIDS as far as I know.  I do know that they're fine with the sleeve. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

rbb825
on 7/19/09 12:39 pm - Suffern, NY
Please tell your husband not to cancell his surgery.  I have torn cartillage in both of my knees and terrible arthritis to the point that last year my ortho wanted to do a partial knee replacement on both knees.  Now, 9 months after my gastric bypass, I am knee pain free.  I go to the gym 4-5 days per week and do the eliptical and walk on the treadmill every time and do all the leg exercises each time I go.  When I don't go to the gym, I go shopping for hours at a time and am knee pain free.  The weight loss is amazing for our joints.  I am still on pain killers for my spine for nothing for my knees. 

I would never take NSAIDS, for risk of ulcers - especially since I am high risk - I have had them before the surgery and they think I may have one in the sealed off part of my stomach, so I am on Protonix now to heal it up.

Not only did my arthritic pain go away, but my diabetes went away and I have lost 79 pounds.

Elizabeth N.
on 7/19/09 2:49 pm - Burlington County, NJ
What he read pertains to the RNY. He should be able to take NSAID medication with a VSG.

My surgeon recommends that his DS patients (who all have gastric sleeves) avoid Tylenol and use meds like naproxen or ibuprofen in liqui-gel form.
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/09 12:09 am - Woodbridge, VA
Why avoid Tylenol?

I'm allergic to NSAIDs, so this was all never an issue for me in choosing a procedure. But if I avoid Tylenol, that leaves me pretty much nothing!
Elizabeth N.
on 7/20/09 1:59 am - Burlington County, NJ
I think that's one of his little "worrywart" type things (of which he has several; he's very good at that mother hen thing lol). If I recall correctly, he was/is concerned that Tylenol might stress one's liver more than the other stuff. It's not a general DS'er or WLS'er thing, I don't think.
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1421 views