too much crystal light ??

warrenandbrodysmom
on 8/28/09 1:03 am - VICTORVILLE, CA
Hi everybody

just wondering if Crystal light is bad for you too drink all day long?

I am also wondering if it could have played a part in my UTI? since I  dont drink any other "liquids" just crystal light all day everyday..

thanks

Robin

LessieBelle
on 8/28/09 1:20 am
I had to be very careful with it pre-op, as it acted as a major cleansing out product for me.

I don't even have it now since I just had surgery, because the acid in it won't help with the healing process and could cause ulcers.  Once I am fully healed, I may try it again, but I will mix it light or trade 1 -1 -  1 glass of water then 1 crystal light drink.

It is yummy stuff.

Good luck.

338 / 313  / 194/ 189
HW / SW /  CW / Goal   

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/09 1:25 am
UTI are infections, and often come about from not drinking enough fluids to flush out your system to help prevent one, is caused by bacteria entering the tract from bowel or sexual contact, or holding onto your pee for too long and it "cooks" in there. Diabetics often get UTI's too. Lack of antibodies to fight off infection.

I drink 95% of my fluids from Crystal light, and not one UTI in years.
Nissa W.
on 8/28/09 1:29 am - Cloquet, MN
I used to only drink or eat foods that contained splenda or stevia but now after wls I am finding it is more difficult to stick to the few that are offered. Meaning I am consuming more nutra sweet, etc. products.

Here are a couple links to check out. http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
http://www.mac-archive.com/ns/side.html

Hope this helps answer your question but again, we are limited on what we can find available.

Nissa

Nissa
RNY 7.08.09
Ht. - 5'5"
Highest Wt. - 267    Goal Wt. - 135

luanne711
on 8/28/09 1:51 am - Bradford, PA
I'm starting to get sick of Crystal Light.  Almost too sweet for me.  I have about 20 boxes (all different flavors) of those little ole packets.  UGH.  I'm thinking about adding them into some of my protein drinks.  We'll see how that goes.
Luanne

I started WL journey on Jan 14, 2009 starting weight @ 342 

Surgery date was July 22, 2009 and started @ 310 and and my goal weight
is 150.00.                   
annkate77
on 8/28/09 1:59 am
Crystal light does contain an artificial sweetner, and those have been known to be bladder irritants.  So it is possible that it could have irritated your bladder to the point of an infection.  It is rare, but possible. 
Thanks for reading!
AnnKate

Neecy44
on 8/28/09 2:05 am - Powell, OH
You also need to be watchful of the citric acid in Crystal Light.  It can wear away the enamel on your teeth and make you prone to more cavities.  I hadn't had cavities in years and last year I had 5 at once.   YIKES!  After reviewing my diet and drinking habits, we narrowed it down to excessive citric acid from drinks like Crystal Light and Orange Diet soda.

I have cut way back on it, but I still use it when I get tired of plain old water.
(deactivated member)
on 8/28/09 2:22 am - Menomonee Falls, WI

When our bodies need calcium it goes from our bones into our blood which is why they do bone scans.  Our calcium levels in our blood can be fine but it comes out of our bones.  Could it go from our teeth into our blood?  Have you had a bone scan?  Just a thought.  good luck Daisy

greenpunchbuggie
on 8/28/09 2:05 am - Maplewood, NJ

it's safe for you to drink crystal light-- all day every day unless you have a sensitivity to something that is in it.  i wouldn't pay too much attention to the claims that nutra sweet is "poison" or anything like that.  people are sensitive to many different kinds of food products.

UTIs can be caused by a lot of factors-- unfortunately if your bladder is sensitive to something in crystal light then you could get one from it.  it's hard to say.

HW: 260 SW: 231 CW: 153 GW: 140                

CTUEL
on 8/28/09 2:10 am
i drink crystal light (or store brand) all day everyday everyday and i have for over a year now....i drink probably 70-100 oz of it a day easy!
no UTI or cavities or any issues from it at all

CHERRI
Most Active