Ridiculed in public
shining_starre · 46 replies · 2339 views
Rushing
magoo1017 · 46 replies · 1497 views

Ketones...Good? or Bad?

melgurl2005
on 9/5/09 12:03 am, edited 9/5/09 12:04 am - Hemet, CA
RNY on 08/18/09 with
Today I had to do a urine test and the results came back showing that I have 150 (3+) Keytones. My doctor left for the day, so I wasn't able to ask if this was a good or bad thing. I don't even know if that's alot or just a little. Does anyone know? I am anxious to find out.

Thanks!
Melinda
(deactivated member)
on 9/5/09 12:21 am - AZ
Revision on 12/06/06 with
On September 5, 2009 at 12:03 AM Pacific Time, melgurl2005 wrote:
Today I had to do a urine test and the results came back showing that I have 150 (3+) Keytones. My doctor left for the day, so I wasn't able to ask if this was a good or bad thing. I don't even know if that's alot or just a little. Does anyone know? I am anxious to find out.

Thanks!
Melinda

Are you on a low carb diet?  Are you diabetic?

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/09 12:22 am
Discuss it with your doctor but given the fact you had bypass two weeks ago, the results are probably what your doctor expects.  Anytime a patient goes on a high protein, very low carb diet, this can and does happen.  For example, Lindora weight loss centers use ketone sticks to make sure you are in ketosis which is what they use to judge how well you are sticking with their diet.

Good luck!

Normal Results

A negative test result is normal. When ketones are present in the urine, the results are usually listed as small, moderate, or large with these corresponding values:

Small: < 20 mg/dL

Moderate: 30 - 40 mg/dL

Large: > 80 mg/dL

Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test results.

What Abnormal Results Mean

A positive test may indicate:

• Abnormal nutritional conditions
    • Anorexia
    • Fasting
    • High protein or low carbohydrate diets
    • Starvation
  • Disorders of increased metabolism
    • Acute or severe illness
    • Burns
    • Fever
    • Hyperthyroidism
    • Nursing a baby (lactation)
    • Post-surgical condition
    • Pregnancy
  • Metabolic abnormalities, including uncontrolled diabetes or glycogen storage disease
  • Vomiting frequently over a long period of time
Valerie G.
on 9/5/09 5:14 am - "The OG", OH
If you're eating high protein / low carb, then ketosis means that your body has run out of instant energy to use (carbs) and is now burning your fat for fuel.  In this context - it's a good thing, a VERY good thing!  You may notice some strange odors in your breath and around your body, urine, poo.  Your may taste metal in your mouth in the morning.  This will go away in a couple of weeks, but drink lots and lots of fluids to flush the ketones (a byproduct of ketosis) out of your body and these symptoms will dissipate.

Valerie
 9 years post op DS 
There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/09 7:18 am - Cleves, OH
melgurl2005
on 9/5/09 11:08 pm - Hemet, CA
RNY on 08/18/09 with
Thank you to all that replied. Yes, I am on a low carb/High Protein diet. I feel at ease knowing this is a good thing and normal considering i had surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago.