Ketones...Good? or Bad?
Are you on a low carb diet? Are you diabetic?
on 9/5/09 12:22 am
A negative test result is normal. When ketones are present in the urine, the results are usually listed as small, moderate, or large with these corresponding values:
Small: < 20 mg/dL
Moderate: 30 - 40 mg/dL
Large: > 80 mg/dL
Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test results.
What Abnormal Results Mean
A positive test may indicate:
- Abnormal nutritional conditions
- High protein or low carbohydrate diets
- Disorders of increased metabolism
- Acute or severe illness
- Nursing a baby (lactation)
- Post-surgical condition
- Metabolic abnormalities, including uncontrolled diabetes or glycogen storage disease
- Vomiting frequently over a long period of time
8 years post op DS - so darned healthy my life insurance gave me a partial refund on my premium!
There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..next to the mashed potatoes
on 9/5/09 7:18 am - Cleves, OH