Is it true after surgery I will feel cold all the time?

Nemochic
on 9/27/09 11:56 am
Hi I am 4 years post op and I am cold almost all the time but I am also anemi****ep a blanket in both cars and a jacket in my office. Small price to pay!
Outer Banks Surgical Weightloss Support Group
Organizer and Mediator
Original RNY 02/17/05 360 pounds lost 130
Revised on 03/22/10 not quite a ds and not quite a sleeve Hey I am a hybrid!       Preop weighed 277.3 my goal 160!

cocobear
on 9/28/09 11:05 am - Canada
Thank you Annmarie!

Your feedback is appreciated.

Enjoy Japan.

Coco
MissMarie516
on 9/27/09 12:02 pm
Contact me anytime...it's a very scarey thing going thru the surgery, but it's also a wonderful start to a new way of life....I call it my "new lifestyle"....it's not easy at all but nothing worth doing is easy..and you'll find it's well worth it.  Bedtime for me, g'nite all!!
cocobear
on 9/28/09 11:04 am - Canada
Thanks again.
I don't know anyone that had RNY and I am counting on this site to help me thru it journey.

Coco
bene5and2
on 9/27/09 12:19 pm
Yes, I am cold all of the time and I was ALWAYS HOT all of the time.  Losing over 100 pounds has made a big difference.  I lost hair also.  I was not looking that great or cooperating so I cut it short.  It is really cute, but I miss my longer hair.  It is growing back and I have new hair sticking out and not behaving.  Oh well, I would rather have that then the fat.  ha ha
cocobear
on 9/28/09 11:02 am - Canada
Good point! LOL

Thanks for your feedback.
Coco
newstacy
on 9/27/09 1:09 pm - Lewis Center, OH
Hello Coco!

I am a year and a half out and yes, I am cold all the time!  I live in central Ohio and last winter was one of the coldest on record - I thought I would never be warm again.  Thank goodness my gym has a sauna - I could go in there and get good and toasty, take a hot shower and get right into warm clothes and not shiver for a little while.  The hunnybun felt a little put out because, after a $600 heating bill, I left the thermostat on 68, but would come to bed in PJs, 2 pairs of socks and a robe, use an electric blanket, and still feel chilled to my bones.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on that.  The good news is I used to be hot beyond all measure in the summer, and this past summer, I rarely broke a sweat, even in Florida in August.  I'm not sure if that's a good trade off or not yet, lol.

I did lose some hair at about 3-9months after WLS.  It wasn't too bad - I took Biotin vitamin supplements, tried to eat a lot of protein, and I used Nioxin hair products a few times a week.  A friend who had WLS about the same time was told to eat some fruit every day to help prevent hair loss - she did, and noticed hardly any har loss at all.  I cut it some and dyed it slightly lighter than usual, and it was fine.  It also got a lot more natural curl to it as it grew back in, to my great surprise!

Overall, this whole experience has been FAR easier than I ever expected.  I've lost almost 150lbs, I wear about a size 14, I can walk forever without my back and legs and feet killing me.  It's truly been a remarkable journey.

My big piece of advice would be to start working out as soon as possible.  I didn't really do anything besides a little walking and a little swimming until I was almost 9 months out, and I really wish I would have taken advantage of my WLS with more exercise earlier.

Good Luck!

Stacy  :)

Highest/Surgery/Current/Doc's Goal/My Goal
338 / 327 / 195 (finally in onderland!) / 180 / 150

cocobear
on 9/28/09 10:58 am - Canada
Hi Stacy,

Thank you for your feedback.

I can't wait to start this journey.

Coco.
LDG1970
on 9/27/09 1:39 pm - Denver, CO
 I'm 17 months out and I don't get cold.  I was usually always hot before surgery I thought it was the over 100 lbs I needed to lose.  I am now usually just fine not hot or cold.  It depends on the person.  
Also, the hair loss for me was not that bad at all.  I took biotin and all my other vitamins.  I wasn't perfect.  I couldn't and sometimes can't always take all the vitamins I should.  But my blood work has always come back good except for a low vitamin D & B12 once.  
I have thick hair and usually had to have it thinned out but  after surgery I haven't had to think it out yet.  But will probably have to start thinning it out again.  
Good luck!!
It is soooo worth it!!
Lisha

LBL 7/10/12 starting 310lbs/current154lbs/goal 150lbs (
normal138)

http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/weight_loss.php?a=sg&t=waqydin

cocobear
on 9/28/09 10:59 am - Canada
Hi Lisha,

Thank you for your feedback.

Coco
Most Active