What to do, I can't afford the surgery, but Can't afford not to have WLS.

Linda M.
on 10/27/09 4:20 pm - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 09/08/09 with
In my experience, family sucks. Most of mine wouldn't spit on me if I was on fire. To have judgment because it is obesity is beyond human. I guess you could pray to release them from their ignorance. I got the news the day before my surgery what my co-pay would be and to please bring it to my registration. My heart almost stopped because I had been waiting so long for this miracle to start happening for me. Luckily, my co-pay was so much less than yours. Even though I had been unemployed for over a year and all benefits were expired, miraculously I had an emergency account with one month's rent in it. I used that to pay the hospital. Another thing about supplements and vitamins, protein drinks. They are costly and this is something you cannot get around. I paid $80 for my protein and even cheapest vitamins are another burden/challenge. Easy way out? Not for anybody I know. But sooooooooooo worth every breath you take because it is for you.

Prayers.
Don't mess with womyn/dragons for you are crunchy and good with reduced fat honey mustard on the side...

meshellytx
on 10/29/09 1:56 am - TX
If you use your 401K do it as a medical hardship instead of a loan and you don't have to pay it back. My DH invested his 401K well and was able to earn more than enough for my surgery then he took it out as a medical hardship. (Our insurance usually covers WLS but DH's company opted out of the coverage.) Considering the "small" ammount you are needing, I would guess a CC or medical CC would be a safer bet. Best of luck to you. I'm sure this is just a bump in the road and you will be on your way soon.
"Living never wore one out so much as the effort not to live." Anais Nin

HW: 436, Start wt: 413 (7/20/09), Goal: -200. RNY 10/7/09 at 362 (-51).
Peachie_83
on 7/29/10 12:00 am
while your post is from way back when it is now a current question for me. I just wanted to know how things r going now and do you regret any decisions that was made. Wishing you the best!
goodkel
on 10/27/09 4:49 pm
Honey $1200 is nothing. Expect to pay that much annually on supplements and vitamins. Rework your budget to afford at least hat much on an ongoing basis.

Then, clean out your house/attic. eBay, yard sales. Christmas presents, babysitting, get a part time job at Star Bucks or another company with great insurance. The possibilities are endless.

You CAN do this!
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/27/09 9:49 pm, edited 10/27/09 9:49 pm - Tuvalu
 I'm just here echoing what others have said about the cost of MAINTAINING your health after wls.  I understand the before-the-end-of-the-year rush...I'm trying to fit in three surgeries/medical procedures before 12/31 because I, too, have hit my $2000.

You cannot get by--not for long anyway--on GummyVites and a calcium tablet.  You need to be able to afford the maintenance or you'll be far more desperate than you feel right now.

Good luck on pulling this off in time.

Sue

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/09 1:32 am, edited 10/29/09 1:44 am
Elizabeth N.
on 10/29/09 2:27 am - Burlington County, NJ
Ask. They worst they can say is no. What can you do to earn extra money in your current situation?

$1200 is a VERY doable sum. Break it down into smaller increments and think of ways to make it happen. Put every single quarter in your wallet into the fund, or dollar bill, or whatever. You can do this.
southernlady5464
on 7/29/10 12:23 am
I guess I got lucky, my father, who is able to help, OFFERED without my asking to pay any out of pocket we needed for my surgery. His comment, he wanted me to outlive him. He's 83.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Jackie McGee
on 7/29/10 2:08 am - PA
Nope, it isn't wrong to ask for help. Compared to what some people have to pay, $1200 is nothing. Good luck to you.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/10 2:36 am - AZ
What about a part time job? It wouldn't take any time at all to save if you bank it. Even waiting tables. This is one of those things that if you want it badly enough, you'll find a way.
Most Active