Weight gain 2 years after lap band surgery

maris715
on 11/8/09 10:15 pm - philadel, PA
Hi.  I underwent lapband surgery in April 2007.  I lost 60 pounds, but since April of this year, the weight is coming back.  I've gained 30 of those pounds back (I was married in April).  In case this bit of info helps.

Many of my clothes are tight and I can't fit into a lot of my newly purchased post-weight loss clothes.  I have a vicious sweet/junk food tooth, and use food as comfort when I'm bored, stressed and lonely.   I love my husband very much, but without giving any details, being with him is challenging.  (Please no advice on leaving him - thank you.)  He is not abusive.  He has some long instilled habits that are hard to break and hard to live with.

Anyway, I hate to work out, I eat what's fast and therefore fattening, and eat what I cook for my husband and his son.  They both are very thin (around 140-150 pounds).  I am 263.

WHAT CAN I DO???  I am afraid I'm heading to 295 pounds again, and I can't!  I'll feel like a total failure.  I feel that way now.  I've thought about Jenny Craig, Nutisystem, the 10 lbs in 10 days diet...

Would someone out there be able to give me some advice?  And if anyone has been in a similar situation (gaining a lot of weight post-surgery), and was able to turn themselves around, that would be even better.

Thanks for listening.

Maris
germanswife
on 11/8/09 10:18 pm
I am only 8 months out....but I feel your pain.  I fear this as well.

Are you able to get psych help?  I would suggest you start with this...you do still have the tool, just needs some work.

Good Luck to you!

Erika

theresa R.
on 11/8/09 10:20 pm - Van Wert, OH
 Your not gaining because the band is failing you...you are gaining because you are failing the band...simply put...you must change your eating habits....just as you would of had to change them with any other WLS....Call your surgeon today...meet with him and your dietician/nutritionist...throw out the sweets...and if its your new husband hindering your weight loss, then you need to really sit down and talk over with him the problems and let him know that you cant do this without his support

Theresa R. =)
LapBand Surgery $13,950-2 Year Gym Membership $795.-TummyTuck&Lip0 $9950.00
Seeing those skinny bitches from High School and never
looking better---$PRICELESS

maris715
on 11/8/09 11:29 pm - philadel, PA
BTW, your priceless is funny.

I called my surgeon's office and made the next available appt to see the nurse and get on the right track.  And I need to do some serious self examination.  I admit, I'm lazy, but I need to fight this feeling and get myself together before I'm a size 24/26 again!!!!

Thanks for your reply and support.
mittenfarm
on 11/8/09 10:23 pm - County Line, MI
Maybe you need to go in for a fill again, although it sound like you are just eating the wrong things. But maybe some more restriction would help get it under control. Without any sort of bypass, you have no malabsorption, so you are solely dependent on a tighter band to help with weight loss. You need to get control of what you are eating, and sadly, that is entirely up to you. Cook healthy for your family-just because they are thin doesn't mean they need to eat unhealthy foods. Stay away from fast foods. Eat high protein, low carb.
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

Lynn C
on 11/8/09 10:40 pm
OK - so you know what the problem is - bad food choices, no exercise - the question is "what are you going to do about it?". No surgery does all the work for you, you must be an active participant!  When was the last time you saw your surgeon? Your first step should be to check in with the surgeon, nut and possibly a counselor who works with food issues.

There is no reason why you cant get back on the wagon but you need to want to and you need to do the work. Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/09 10:41 pm - AZ
On November 9, 2009 at 6:15 AM Pacific Time, maris715 wrote:
Hi.  I underwent lapband surgery in April 2007.  I lost 60 pounds, but since April of this year, the weight is coming back.  I've gained 30 of those pounds back (I was married in April).  In case this bit of info helps.

Many of my clothes are tight and I can't fit into a lot of my newly purchased post-weight loss clothes.  I have a vicious sweet/junk food tooth, and use food as comfort when I'm bored, stressed and lonely.   I love my husband very much, but without giving any details, being with him is challenging.  (Please no advice on leaving him - thank you.)  He is not abusive.  He has some long instilled habits that are hard to break and hard to live with.

Anyway, I hate to work out, I eat what's fast and therefore fattening, and eat what I cook for my husband and his son.  They both are very thin (around 140-150 pounds).  I am 263.

WHAT CAN I DO???  I am afraid I'm heading to 295 pounds again, and I can't!  I'll feel like a total failure.  I feel that way now.  I've thought about Jenny Craig, Nutisystem, the 10 lbs in 10 days diet...

Would someone out there be able to give me some advice?  And if anyone has been in a similar situation (gaining a lot of weight post-surgery), and was able to turn themselves around, that would be even better.

Thanks for listening.

Maris

You have outlined all the problems so you know what you need to do.

Dump ALL white carbs.  All of them.  You don't like to exercise?  So what, do it anyway.

www.obesityhelp.com/member/midwesterngirl/blog/2008/05/

Lynn C
on 11/8/09 11:10 pm
LOL - You don't like to exercise? So what, do it anyway.

Could you PLEASE come to my house at 5am and pry my butt out of bed and when I whine "I don't like exercise" hit me with the "so what, do it anyway!" I need my own personal Jillian. Better yet I need someone with a cattle prod and the nerve to use it!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/09 11:32 pm - AZ
On November 9, 2009 at 7:10 AM Pacific Time, Lynn B wrote:
LOL - You don't like to exercise? So what, do it anyway.

Could you PLEASE come to my house at 5am and pry my butt out of bed and when I whine "I don't like exercise" hit me with the "so what, do it anyway!" I need my own personal Jillian. Better yet I need someone with a cattle prod and the nerve to use it!

You don't know me, I would be the one with the nerve to use the cattle prod!  HA!

Weird people like exercise, not normal people. ;o)  It's just one of those things that is a responsibility to do for health reasons.

I was talking to Jeremy Gentles about weight training.  I told him I need to build some muscle but I absolutely hate weights.  Hate them with a passion.  Can't stand that part of exercise.  I have a Bowflex, I've had it for two years.  I never put it together. ;o)  He asked if I would stick to it if I started.  I thought about it and said nope, I probably wouldn't.  He said don't do it then, find something I do like (or don't hate quite as much) and stick to that.  I don't mind walking, power walking, and running.  I have a treadmill, so I use that.  When I first started I'd walk and read a book.  Same when I graduated to power walking.  When I started running I put my laptop in front of the treadmill and I'd watch movies while I ran.  It helps pass the time and you are focused on something other than how much you hate what you are doing.  Now I honestly don't mind running.  New habits take about three weeks to learn.

When I saw the pounds just melting off it gave me more incentive to keep doing it.

So find something you hate the least and do it every single day.  You don't need a day off from exercise, that just reinforces that you are doing something you hate.  We do things we enjoy so learn to enjoy it.

And yes, so what if you don't like exercise.  Do it anyway. ;o)

Lynn C
on 11/9/09 3:12 am

I agree totally - they other thing that I have noticed (actually DH pointed it out) no matter how much I complain about exercising I always feel better when I'm done - physically happier. Its a good thing!

Lynn C ~

Most Active