People are rude
nikki050 · 62 replies · 1627 views
So confused! What do you guys think?
ipray · 46 replies · 942 views
Rushing
magoo1017 · 46 replies · 1513 views
Ridiculed in public
shining_starre · 46 replies · 2369 views

10 Days without a Bowel Movement - WHAT TO DO????

nycmisee
on 11/30/09 4:35 pm - Chesapeake, VA
I am 5 wks post surgery.  I have been hospitalized twice for Dehydration and Post Surgery Ulcer.  I have not had a bowel movement in 10 days.  I have been taking Milk of Magnesia but it is not working.  I can't take the over the counter stool softeners cause they make me nauseated . Any suggestions?

sarahs_new_life
on 11/30/09 4:40 pm
the milk of magnesia takes a few days for me as well. it will come. my doctor told me to get a ducolax (spelling) suppository.  keep taking the milk of magnesia. i was told also to take Colace. it is a stool softener.  good luck hon.
sarah

Jenny2009
on 11/30/09 4:44 pm
RNY on 03/02/09 with

Are you having any pain around your abdomen?  Stool softeners should not make you feel nauseated, there may be something else going on.  I would call you surgeons office ASAP and tell them your problem.   You may have a blockage.   Are you drinking enough water?  Try some juice.  That always makes me "loosen up"  if you know what I mean! :-)
Good luck!

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

Bette B.
on 11/30/09 5:21 pm
Have you tried Miralax? It dissolves COMPLETELY in hot or cold liquids and has no taste to it.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

mkbeany
on 11/30/09 5:28 pm
My surgeon tells us to take Dulcolax if we go more than 3 days w/o a poop.

Good luck and take care. I have seen others end up admitted to our hospital for treatment of this. No fun at all!
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
ladybugnessa
on 11/30/09 5:31 pm - Owings Mills, MD
have you talked to your surgeon??

are you getting your fluids now? are you getting any fats?

what about fiber?
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

DeShanna C.
on 11/30/09 5:35 pm - Birmingham, AL
I have been eating Activia Yogurt and that has helped me. You have make yourself drink your fluids. I know its not easy, but do as much as you can. Please contact you Dr. ASAP because you do not need to go this long without a BM. I have also used Benefiber fruit chews.
Psalms 94:14 In the multitude of my (anxious) thoughts within me, your comforts cheer & delight my soul!  

lovchristina
on 11/30/09 6:19 pm - San Diego, CA
I had the same thing happen and I ended up impacted (Bowel movement was bigger than the opening to come out of). Worst pain of my life!!!! You might want to call your doctor but I would highly suggest getting some suppositories or an enima and get that out of you right away before you suffer the pain I went through. You can get these over the counter at any drugstore. Suppositories work for me. Just push them up (not even very far) and within 10-45 minutes you should feel the urge to go. And it lubricates the opening so it wont be as rough. If you have any questions pm me.
 HW 362/ Surgery date 355/ CW 194/ Goal 150                                        

Lady Lithia
on 11/30/09 6:22 pm
If you've already had issues, I'd suggest that before you do ANYTHING that any layperson suggests on this site... call your SURGEON and do what HE SAYS.... you don't want to do something that is contraindicated and nobody here is a surgeon.... don't mess around... call your surgeon... call him or her NOW

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/09 7:16 pm
Organic Smooth Move Herbal Tea. (I buy mine at Safeway)
It's made with Senna.
Take it before you go to bed.
Don't drink the whole cup, because your stomach won't be able to hold it...
but by morning you'll have pooped so much you'll be whistling.
 hah :)
ktown10
on 11/30/09 8:44 pm
Miralax works great,and no taste!
(deactivated member)
on 11/30/09 9:10 pm - Canandaigua, NY
Since you've already had several issues, I would call my surgeon first thing in the morning for recommendations.  I would NOT take any more MOM or any other kind of laxative or enema since you've had issues with dehydration.  Laxatives and other constipation aides can affect your electrolytes, and I wouldn't proceed with any of those at this time until I'd consulted with my surgeon. If you're in a lot of pain or running a fever or having a tender or red abdomen, head to the ER again. Best  wishes!