Does chewing gum make you fart?

So Blessed!
on 12/7/09 4:55 am

Serious question.  

I was watching a show on Animal Planet that said bulldogs fart because they swallow more air than dogs with a longer snout. 

That started me thinking...

If you're chewing gum you're incorporating air bubbles into the saliva that you swallow.   It would seem like gum chewing would give a person gas.  I wonder if that's why some doctors tell post ops not to chew it.  Most grown people have sense enough to chew gum without swallowing it and pluging up their stoma.

Can you tell I have some extra time on my hands today? 

Kristi H.
on 12/7/09 5:11 am - Killeen, TX
Interesting for sure,  I would think it would cause you to burp more, but sounds like a google search for me! hehe
MsBatt
on 12/7/09 5:31 am
That ain't just 'air' coming outta MY bulldog! (*grin*)
Raze
on 12/7/09 5:37 am, edited 12/7/09 5:39 am
lol no

IMO

So Blessed!
on 12/7/09 9:44 pm

love your avatar

Trindybell
on 12/7/09 5:42 am - Akron, OH
I don't know, but I sure did giggle when I read your question.
Miss Redd
on 12/7/09 5:56 am - Lancashire, United Kingdom
Actually YES. Two things at play here though. The first is about swallowed air. That can cause "some" extra air. The other thing that not everyone knows is about sugar free gum.

Apparently there are LOTS of us out there that didn't know the stuff can BLOAT you so unmercifully it can cause EXTREME issues.

I am one of those people. I actually went on an antibiotic thinking there was a bacterial issue in my tract-but that wasn't it. I was reading one day and I decided to STOP chewing gum for TWO days.

My gas problem. Ended. I am not kidding. If you are chewing quite a bit of sugar free gum and you are having trouble-try for two days and let me know! LOL!

Peace,
T

Pre Surgery 383 Surgery 359 Current 180

NEW YOUTUBE Channel!

So Blessed!
on 12/7/09 9:35 pm

OMG!!!  I chew sugarless gum all day long. 

I don't know if I can go cold turkey. 

Miss Redd
on 12/7/09 9:47 pm - Lancashire, United Kingdom
I know~! I admit-I was totally smacked out on it. I was constantly chewing. It was NOT cute for the first couple of days, but I am Ok now.

WHEW! AND gas free!!!

Pre Surgery 383 Surgery 359 Current 180

NEW YOUTUBE Channel!

skootermagrooder
on 12/7/09 9:08 am - Hurdle Mills, NC
LOL, since i had RNY EVERYTHING makes me fart!!!

Judy R

*Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow* 

Most Active