Most Active
People are rude
nikki050 · 58 replies · 1328 views
Ridiculed in public
shining_starre · 46 replies · 2316 views
Rushing
magoo1017 · 46 replies · 1483 views

Not sure what to do ...re. infected incision site??

MsFancyPants
on 12/11/09 11:25 pm
My steri strips JUST came off.  Four of the 5 incisions look fine....but the 5th is kinda open and has pus inside.  I took a shower and used some of the pre-surgical antiseptic wash they gave me for before the surgery.  Thought that might be good.  Then, blotted my stomach dry and put a gob of neosporin on the infected incision and covered it with a band aid.  I'm thinking I can wait until morning to call the doctor/nurse on call.  Has this happened to anyone else?  It freaked me out!!!

Thanks!
gadgetlady
on 12/12/09 1:27 am
I have a small incision infection as well.  Definitely call your doctor in the AM for antibiotics, but you might also want to clean it out with hydrogen peroxide.  I do that 2-3 times/day and then apply polysporin and it's healing.

After my lap band failure, I'm loving my RNY!

1 Cor 4:7 - What do you have that you did not receive?
Medicfem
on 12/12/09 5:08 am - Corpus Christi, TX
RNY on 11/11/09 with
Don't use hydrogen peroxide 2-3 times a day! You will never heal! Hydrogen peroxide is good for initial treatment but not for 2-3 times a day! It burns off new healing cells too!
Cover it  and use neosporin. Keep your hands away from it. Wash hands frequently. See physcian and increase your protein. Good luck!
Penny the Paramedic        
Patty B.
on 12/12/09 2:39 pm
Penny our doctor states we use hydrogen peroxide 2 x daily.  NO neosporin ...he says it will make it worse.  Yes it does take off some of the healing cells so later we decrease But no neosporin...the rest is right wash your hand ....increase your protein...but it's hard when your new to increase your protein.  That pocket just won't take it...Take care patty

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/09 5:18 am - AZ
Revision on 12/06/06 with
On December 12, 2009 at 1:27 AM Pacific Time, gadgetlady wrote:
I have a small incision infection as well.  Definitely call your doctor in the AM for antibiotics, but you might also want to clean it out with hydrogen peroxide.  I do that 2-3 times/day and then apply polysporin and it's healing.

Peroxide is wayyyyy too caustic for a newly healing incision.  In a hospital IF we use it we cut it with 50% saline.  All it does is bubble stuff out of there.  It doesn't really clean a darn thing.  Peroxide destroys all the newly forming cells and washes them out.

OP... it could be that you are healing fom the inside out and this may be the end of it or it may be that you are getting an infection.  Watch it verrrrry closely.

gadgetlady
on 12/12/09 12:51 pm
I started on hydrogen peroxide 12 days after my surgery, per doctor's instructions, 2-3x/day, and the incision is totally healed now.

After my lap band failure, I'm loving my RNY!

1 Cor 4:7 - What do you have that you did not receive?
(deactivated member)
on 12/12/09 12:56 pm - AZ
Revision on 12/06/06 with
On December 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM Pacific Time, gadgetlady wrote:
I started on hydrogen peroxide 12 days after my surgery, per doctor's instructions, 2-3x/day, and the incision is totally healed now.

Glad your infection healed but that does not change the fact that your doctor is going against ALL standard medical care.  I find it hard to believe ANY doctor in this day and age would suggest something that stupid.

Not all docs keep up to date on the latest in medicine.  At least it didn't hurt you... this time.

linda1814
on 12/12/09 5:43 am
 I developed an infection about 2 weeks after surgery and I went to an urgent care center on a weekend because my doctor's office was closed.  They said it was cellulitis and gave me a shot in the butt and a script for antibiotics.  I followed up with my PCP who sent me to a wound care facility because I wasn't healing fast enough.  They had the best coverings for it.  

I had first called my surgeon's office and they said it sounded normal but I ended up not listening to them thankfully.  Follow your instincts and go to your doctor.  You don't want it to get worse.  Do you have a fever?  Is the incision red and warm?  They drew on me with a sharpie to see if it got worse .... if the redness extended past the line, I was to take action right away.

Hope you feel better soon.  

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

Lady Lithia
on 12/12/09 8:09 am
I didn't have infected incisions for my RNY, but earlier this year had another surgery, and both of my surgical sites got infected. I did the neosporin thing, but no bandaides as I have an allergy to adhesives (the first bandaide took off ALL the skin from the adhesive area, leaving me far more compromised skin!) I called my surgeon, and he put me on an antibiotic. I saw him three times for the infection. The last time I saw him, I worried because I thought I had a buildup of pus behind the just-healed bigger incision. He said not to worry about it, it was just scar tissue that looked white, not pus. Got home and my "scar" tissue had exploded and soiled my clothing.... pus everywhere. Bleah. I went to my PCP and he cleaned it out and gave me a different type of antibiotic. Took six weeks to clear up.

Call your surgeon of course, but if it only seems "skin deep" and not belly deep, you can probably wait until Monday. If YOU develop a fever, or it gets red around the incision (or redder) then call the surgeon ASAP... just not worth waiting around for it.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

chappy2
on 12/12/09 8:14 am - Oak Hills, CA

Hi, yes this happened to me, and you need to call the doc, even though it is sat, someone is in his office will be on call, they can perscribe you an antibiotic and call it in to your local pharmacy. Dont wait, its serious!!!   Good Luck.

Elizabeth N.
on 12/12/09 8:25 am - Burlington County, NJ
I hope that you've called and gotten further treatment. Let us know how it's doing, okay?
Patty B.
on 12/12/09 2:35 pm
I was panicked this happened to me also....it took a long time to heal.  I will tell you what my doc you know who told me ...I called him in surgery at the time.  Rinse with peroxide ...don't use antibiotic ointment.  That will clean out the old tissue and pus stuff.  I left mine open in the sun a few times but couldn't take a bath for a few months which killed me.  It seemed like it took forever to heal.  I did that twice a day and sometimes I would rinse with normal saline but you can get in the shower in an hr or so and rinse it out.  I hope this helps ...it's not a real infection it just looks crudy.  I hope that makes sense.  I was worried too!  He said it does happen.  They will see you in the office if you feel you need it ...so call!  Take care Patty