Dry Itchy Skin Post Surgery???

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/09 8:42 am - TN
Ok since surgery (late August) I have noticed that my skin is dry and itchy. Is this normal post op? Does the large amount of protein cause this? I am guessing about the protein since my lips get all dry and chapped after drinking a protein shake.

This morning, I woke late and forgot to use moisturizer on my face, so a couple hours later I noticed dry patches on my face, I used hand lotion and it immediately got rid of the dry patches, but this is not normal for me, as I used to not even use moisturizer on the weekends.

Also my hands are super dry, and my back seems to itch all the time. Is this normal? If so what can I use to moisturize my skin?
Valerie G.
on 12/21/09 8:44 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Staying well hydrated is key here.  I drink more than 120 oz of fluids daily without even blinking and have very little problems.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Ruby23
on 12/21/09 5:02 pm - Sweden
I agree its probably the water. I notice if I dont get enough water, my skin goes very very dry.

I wish I could do that much water every day...I will have to find a way to get it in. I am having trouble getting my minimum in as it is now....I do get there but its hard to get more and I definitely think I need more.

I know it would be easier if I could just gulp down a glass of water..but this sip sip sip crap ends up slowing me down so much that it does become a struggle to up my water.

'would rather get gunned down than dumbed down...K'naan

Valerie G.
on 12/21/09 10:19 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
During the first couple of years following my DS, I had a 64oz cup that I carried with me everywhere, so that I would take a drink every time I paused.  I knew that cup was my goal for the day.  After a couple of years, that cup was pretty empty by lunchtime, and today mid-morning.  I know then that I got my minimum and the rest is gravy.  Do remember that liquids count in any way, shape or form, too, so count soups, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Ruby23
on 12/21/09 10:50 pm - Sweden
I should do that (carry a water bottle with me everywhere)....it is about habit so I need to work a bit harder on developing the habit. Years ago I used to drink 3 or 4 sodas per day (16 oz bottles) and that was no problem for me!

'would rather get gunned down than dumbed down...K'naan

diminishingdeborah
on 12/21/09 8:46 am - New York, NY
In addition to the other suggestions, I find liquid olivella soap to be very helpful

dd
Medley411
on 12/21/09 8:54 am
There was some talk before that it could be related to liver or pancratic enzymes or something?  I dont know.  After my surgery, I was dry all the time, but I finally got over the chapped lip stage at 5-6 months out.  I do use moisturizer creme.  If you have bruises there might be cause for concern, but if your skin and lips are dry, it should be okay.  Try boiling some water to put some moisture in the air at your house.  Best of luck to you.  Keep the nails trimmed. 

Amy E.
on 12/21/09 9:20 am
I have extremely dry skin and I bruise real easy, what should I be concerned about.
Thanxs, Amy

.HW267/SW257/CW172/GW148

Medley411
on 12/21/09 9:26 am
um, not sure, I would call your doc.  Dont panic, I am no expert.  Have your liver checked or something.  I am not sure who brought this up.  Andrea U, or melting Mama. I would look for them and ask.  Sometimes, most of the time its nothing.  Call your doc and your PCM and see what they can do.

Chilipepper
on 12/21/09 9:26 am
Drink more water...stay hydrated.