9 Wks Post RNY Getting Sick /Cold - What can I take?

nycmisee
on 12/30/09 12:05 am - Chesapeake, VA
9 Wks Post RNY Getting Sick /Cold - What can I take?
normally I'd OD on hot Brandi and NyQuil  since we can't absorb alchocol what can I take that's RNY Friendly?

Debbiejean
on 12/30/09 12:07 am - Shelbyville, MI
I take Mucinex. Call your doc and see what is recommended for you at 9 wks out.
ReinaDeAlcantara
on 12/30/09 1:08 am - Bronx, NY
My friend used Emergen C. Most doctor's recommend children's dosages and taking enough a slow intervals. OR toughing it out.
stixx456
on 12/30/09 3:34 am - North Canton, OH
RNY on 10/20/09 with
I had the same problem...my md office said I could take Chlortrimaton to dry up my nose. I had so much drainage it was making me throw up everytime I tried to eat. I got the generic chlortabs at walmart and they were super cheap.

Make sure you call your md office. Every md office is different.

nycmisee
on 12/30/09 4:15 am - Chesapeake, VA
Yes this thing bites...Im finally over feeling crappy from the surgery now this...

danniwithani
on 12/30/09 3:37 am - Aiken, SC
I had the same cold/flu mess about 9 weeks out as well and called my doc's office ASAP. He first ran down the list of things not to take...

No AlkaSeltzer cold meds - the carbonation is a no-no.
No Nyquil - too much alcohol and you could be drunk. (lol)
No sugary cough meds either - possible dumping.
No Advil type cold meds - no nsaids/ibuprofen based products on the stomach

So I ended up taking Mucinex and Tylenol Cold/Flu in the capsule form.
HALLS makes some great Sugar Free cough drops too!
nycmisee
on 12/30/09 4:16 am - Chesapeake, VA
Thanks...I haven't been able to do pills since the surgery unless they are chewable but Im going to try the liquid Tylenol Cold/flu and see how that works.

kimily1979
on 12/30/09 7:55 am - Catawba, SC
Hey I had my surgery about a week before you, and I just went to Dr today. I have sinus crap, so I thought. I called to see what I could take, and it was recommened that I come in to see the Dr (my family Dr), because even though I am back at work, your immune system may not be strong enough to fight off the crap thats out there right now. The only thing I was told I could take OTC is Tylenol Cold and in my family Dr's words... that stuff isn't gona help you much anyway. So I went in and I am glad I did, I have a large amount of congestion (that isnt even causing me to cough), a sinus infection, and an ear infection in each ear. I have only had symptoms for 2 days! So I was prescribed an antibiotic that is "easy on the stomach" and told to get some mucinex D (it is behind the pharmacy counter and ok to take) and sugar free cough drops. I just picked up my prescriptions to we shall see,. But your immune system is still week, so dont try to fight it.... could make it worse!

Most Active
It?s been denied
Melsbells · 18 replies · 458 views
My story and vent
rec2200 · 16 replies · 384 views
Goal Weight Reached!
Lisa Faye · 13 replies · 303 views
Insurance thoughts
Mahonia R. · 13 replies · 170 views
Frustrated
Carlene1223 · 11 replies · 329 views
6 month diet before wls