UTI not responding to Cipro

SHERRY L.
on 1/6/10 1:05 pm - PORT RICHEY, FL
HIYA!  I have the worst bladder infection and have been taking Cipro for almost 10 days, but it's not working.  I called the surgeons office to see if we have absorption problems w/ antibiotics, but she said no.  My back hurts now, so I think it has traveled to my kidneys.  I think I am going to go to the ER for some IV antibiotics when I get off work in the morning.  Anybody else have trouble getting rid of a UTI?  What did you end up taking?  Thanks

Sherry
Marine_Princess81
on 1/6/10 1:22 pm, edited 1/6/10 1:23 pm
 I had issues with antibiotics early out, to where i was put back in the hospital for IV antibiotics.. 
I was on childrens liquid anitbiotic about a month after surgery, so i was not getting enough solid food in my tummy and  i was through up/dumping from the sweetness... 
Anyways see if they can put you on a childrens chewable.. I just had a sinus infection and i told my doctor that i wanted chewable antibiotics. So maybe you can try to get those as well... 
take care i hope you get well soon.. UIT's are no fun 
Annmarie 

ps i also have to premed before my teeth are cleaned due to a heart condition, you just take about 6 chewables more often during the day then you would the three times a day.. its worth a shot. I try to get chewable anything no matter what.. Yes i'm almost a year out,but i rather know its in my system vs wondering.. also drink water, and see if you can fun diet cranberry juice... start to fluss your bladder and kiddneys.. Cranberry's help... 
rbb825
on 1/6/10 1:29 pm - Suffern, NY
When you were diagnosed with the bladder infection, was a culture and sensitivity done?  This is a test that determines what antibiotic will kill the actual infection that you have.  Many times doctors just pick out an antibiotic they think will help without doing a culture and that is how you end up taking worthless antibiotics and endup with resistant bugs.  I would go back to the original doctor and insist a culture and sensitivity.  That is the only way to know you are on the correct antibiotic.

Also what strength cipro did they put you on?  Sometimes we need a high dosage than the average person. IF they gave you 250mg,  that is useless - it has to be 500mg to do anything.

Marine_Princess81
on 1/6/10 1:48 pm
 Most Doctors prescribe Cipro for UTI's and Kidneys. Its the drug of choice to get rid of it... 
its common for most to be put on it... IT is a very strong drug.
rbb825
on 1/6/10 2:31 pm - Suffern, NY
It may be the drug of choice but without a Culture and sensitivity, there is no way of knowing if it will work.  There are alot of bacterias out there and alot of different antibiotics that treat bladder infections - levaquin, macrodantin, sulfa, penecillin, besides cipro.

SHERRY L.
on 1/6/10 2:10 pm - PORT RICHEY, FL
Thanks guys.  I am taking 500mg Cipro 2 x a day.  I did not get a culture and sensitivity done.  I work in the ER at night and I told ER dr it hurt to pee and he gave me a script for Cipro.  I am prone to renal infections and have a hard time clearing UTI's to start with.  I had one last year and had to get IV Levaquin in the ER.  I will check in when I get off.  They will do a C&s and give me IV antibiotics.  No more playin around.  It even hurts to walk.  Thanks eveyone.  I just didn't know if in the future not to get Cipro.  I hope I don't hafta go the chewable route. NASTY.

Sherry
rbb825
on 1/6/10 2:29 pm - Suffern, NY
I am not saying don't get cipro.  9 out of 10 times, I get cipro and it works great.  But there is that 1 out of 10 times when the particular bacteria is resistant to cipro and another antibiotic is needed.  There is no way of knowing what antibiotic will work with a C&S.  Levaquin is another great antibiotic and many times when the kidneys are involved, macrodantin is needed.

Cracker23
on 6/24/18 12:12 am

2 month ago, I found it out I had ovarian cyst, the Dr required me on depo shot for every 3 month just recently till it' mess with my body, started feel awful, has UTI till now this month to keep take ciprofloxacin 500mg and flupproxcin (fungas infecrion for 3 day pills) the last one pills of cipro it seem not work to UTI. It' still drop of brown urine and smell like Apple cider vinegar. It' really frustrated. Is there another medicine for antibiotics to kill the bacteria?

Ms. Cal Culator
on 1/6/10 2:44 pm - Tuvalu
Last time I did a round of Cipro--while awaiting the culture results--it was relatively worthiess.  The last two times I've gone with Bactrim.  (I don't care much for Levaquin.)

Also, the Azo standard (OTC) is good for symptom relief..but I wouldn't use it until I knew I was on a drug I thought might work.  Urelle is n Rx that's good for symptom relief, but again, not until I'm on something that will fix the problem.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1205 views