Chewing and Spitting

Sharyn S.
on 1/20/10 11:32 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
The only time I've ever spit something out is if I realize it is that "one bite too many" and swallowing it will make me sick, sick, sick.  

I have never done it just to taste something.  I hope your sharing your story will wake some people up.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Jackie McGee
on 1/20/10 11:36 am - PA
I hope so, too. I feel like I over-share on here sometimes, but there are reasons for it :)

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

hercules411
on 1/20/10 11:33 am
Thanks for sharing Jackie. I appreciate any knowledge about the other side of the eating disorder coin.
Max wt. 500+  WLS workshop  4/6/09 440 Surgery  9/21/09  324   9/21/10  218
Save $4 on Obesity Help magazine subscription using promo code: HERCULES
www.obesityhelp.com/store/action,addtocart/itemId,1/pcode, hercules /

Jackie McGee
on 1/20/10 11:37 am - PA
Hey, no problem Herc!

NormaBee
on 1/20/10 11:37 am
Thank you for putting your story out there Jackie, I agree that it is not a healthy thing and can be a slippery slope indeed.

When I was 17, I went on a liquid diet for almost six months. Anyone who has been on a liquid diet for a few weeks can imagine how much I was craving real, solid food. I felt like I was completely INSANE, no exaggeration. I couldn't think about anything but food, and I would stand over the sink and eat whatever I could get my hands on when my parents weren't home - cheese sandwiches were my favorite, chewing and spitting out the whole thing over the sink, fighting the urge to swallow, disgusted with myself and lack of self-control and really angry that I, unlike all my friends, could not eat like a normal person and not be fat. I was fortunate that I did not develop builimia from this, but there was NOTHING normal about this behavior, which went on for about a month. I never ever want to experience that temporary insanity that came over me in that phase.

Now, if I want something, I'll build it into my daily intake. Or find a substitute that I can eat that gives me whatever feeling it is that I'm craving.

Jackie McGee
on 1/20/10 11:38 am - PA
Sending you the biggest

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/10 11:43 am - .., WA
Well, I have only done this a few times. Naturally, I hope no problems rise up. This makes me wonder though, what about our remnant stomach? Is it getting ready for food and creating a problem? I never thought about that.
Jackie McGee
on 1/20/10 11:47 am - PA
I don't even know where to begin to even explain this.

You still have the same enzymes that digest food, so those are still being produced.

Andrea U.
on 1/20/10 11:50 am - Wilson, NC
Thank you for putting this out there.  It's important people understand what it means.

Jackie McGee
on 1/20/10 11:51 am - PA
I really hope it helps someone.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1449 views