Is Neurontin an Nsaid?

Jacqueline F.
on 1/23/10 2:42 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Neruontin is NOT an NSAID but confirm that with your Pharmasist...I too take a lot of Neurontin in a gell capsule form, because the pills are so large or in gell form, I didn't want to risk them getting caught blocking my pouch so I suggest you do what I did ... call your doctors up explain to him/her that your medications need to be in a chewable or liquid form and have him/her write you scripts for them.

CAUTION when doing this though, depending on your medication needs, you may not go back on all of them post surgery so I suggest you check with the doc's to see what you will likely keep and what you will not in order to avoid spending money on unnecessary Prescriptions.

sassy1696
on 1/22/10 9:22 pm - winnipeg, Canada
Wow, great info, thanks for posting such helpful tips!!
kdesiatorn
on 1/22/10 9:01 pm
 Neurotin is a safe med for neuropathic pain. Try to avoid Narcotics. And stay away from goofy websites. 
I have been on the neurotin for years and it has controled my pain and discomfort well. Take to your doctor or nurse if you have more questions. IT is not a NSAID. I have been off my NSAID since before surgery and have been fine. Massages are also another good option for pain control. 
Hope this helps. 

Same days it doesn't pay to chew the restraints off...   

Andrea U.
on 1/22/10 10:12 pm - Wilson, NC
Why avoid narcotics?

Some of us have to have them.

patrickh
on 1/22/10 10:18 pm - Dayton, OH
i got an rx for neurotrin but was avoiding it because i heard it can cause weight gain... any issues with this?   ive also been icing for pain... amazing how much it helps

Highest 406 / Surgery 391 / Lowest 196 / Current 219

Andrea U.
on 1/23/10 9:48 am - Wilson, NC
I never had a problem with it, and I was on a high dose.
Jackie McGee
on 1/23/10 12:36 pm - PA
My husband was on it for severe nerve pain (almost ten years ago now) and gained 80+ lbs in just a few months. It also caused him to retain a lot of water in his lower legs, which he never had a problem with prior to the Neurontin.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Harlee J.
on 1/22/10 10:30 pm - Charlotte, NC
Sadly (MY opinion), we all must be our OWN advocate and watch out for our own care and our family"s. As great as Healthcare is, we are still pretty much #s...and do not think medical professionals get any better treatment!
My own family MD, AND a colleague, insisted that LODINE was NOT a NSAID & I took it. Three days later I had a GI bleed of my tiny pouch>>>GRRRRR! Had to be admitted to ICU. I still told EVERY MD who walked in, I HAVE HAD GASTRIC BYPASS SURGEY, to make sure they knew WHICH procedure and WHY I was upset. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. (and I did look up the Lodine as it was new at the time and no info avail in 1998 online that fast-plus it was probably the size of my fairly new pouch).
At this time, MDs are more knowledgible about gastric bypass surgeries, but I still say DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK...the internet is a wonderful thing!
rbb825
on 1/23/10 1:04 am - Suffern, NY
Neurontin is perfectly safe.  It is not an NSAID. It is a seizure medication used for treating all sorts of pain - mostly nerve pain associated with shingles, sciatica etc.

EternalPromiseofBloo
d

on 1/23/10 9:10 am - FRANKLIN, IN
Thanks for your replies and all the information every one. I checked with the pharmacist at our local 24 hr. drugstore(it was late) and he said it was not an Nsaid, but this pharmacy is not the best so I wanted to get a second opinion. I just started taking this last night, so I don't really know how it's going to work out. I am very sensitive to medications, so my experience may not be typical. My neurologist wants me to take 1 600 mg. tablet at bedtime for 2 wks. then take 1 in the morning and 1 at bedtime for 2 wks., then 1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon, and 1 at bedtime for 2 wks. At the end of the six weeks he wants to see me again to see how I am doing. He wants me to take it this way so that I get used to it slowly. He said that it can make you dizzy and drowsey at first. Well, I took it last night (kind of late, I wanted to be able to watch Conan's last night on the Tonight Show). It took forever to kick in. I thought my doctor was dead wrong, as I didn't get sleepy for the longest time. I finally did go to sleep, and I slept like the dead! I was expecting a phone call in the morning, so I put the phone on my bed right beside my pillow. Well, I did not wake up until 2pm. today, and I had 2 phone calls on my answering machine. I never heard the phone ring, and my phone is loud and was right beside my head! Since I have been up I feel kind of slow, fuzzy headed kind of like hung over. Lesson learned! I'm taking this stuff EARLY tonight. I really do not like my head feeling all messed up. Hopfully I will adjust to this and that will go away, I won't gain any weight, and it will help my pain. I had many steroid injections, extensive spinal surgery on my neck(fused at C4, C5, C6, and C7), and was better for a while. Some of my pain has returned, so hopefully I will be able to tolerate this medication and it will help my pain. I hate this! I had such high hopes that the neck surgery would fix my problem and that I would be able to exercise and maybe even go back to work in some capacity. I am soo depressed. And yeah I'm on an anti-depressant.  Again, thanks for the info. I copied the list of Nsaids to have on hand .Wish me luck guys!

Most Active