How long after iron pills can I start eating?

gadgetlady
on 2/2/10 12:31 pm, edited 2/2/10 12:32 pm
Is it one or two hours?  I don't want to have to check the labels of everything I eat and make sure there's no whey, dairy, wheat, etc.  I take my iron in the AM when I wake up and would like to start breakfast an hour later.  I try to wait two hours, but sometimes it'd be a lot easier if I could do it after one.

Along the same lines, is it acceptable (not preferrable) to take calcium one hour after iron or must we wait two hours for proper absorption?

After my lap band failure, I'm loving my RNY!

1 Cor 4:7 - What do you have that you did not receive?
Sharyn S.
on 2/2/10 12:34 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Take your iron right before you go to bed.  Problem solved. 

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

gadgetlady
on 2/2/10 12:40 pm
I take it before bed and when I wake up.  I take a lot so I split it up.

Sharyn S.
on 2/2/10 12:48 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
There is really no need to split it up, as with calcium.  Just take it all at night.  That's what I do.

Sharyn, RN

gadgetlady
on 2/2/10 12:52 pm
I understood the max to be absorbed at one time was about 50 mg.  Is that incorrect?

Andrea U.
on 2/2/10 12:59 pm - Wilson, NC
I've never seen a max absorption for iron.  Ever.

In fact, I've never even seen a number put to it -- where'd you get it?  I don't trust it, but am curious where you got it.

vitalady
on 2/8/10 12:57 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I was taught 150mg max, right about the same time I learned about the 500mg calc/max.

But since we'd already been taking 300mg with excellent results, I just threw it out, like so many things that don't apply to malabsorbers.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Sharyn S.
on 2/2/10 1:01 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with

Never heard of a max.

Sharyn, RN

gadgetlady
on 2/2/10 1:04 pm
Wow.  Good question.  I don't recall -- I thought it was on this board somewhere but I'm sure it'd be impossible to find now.

Andrea U.
on 2/2/10 12:46 pm - Wilson, NC
It's best to wait about 2 hours if you can.

If it's really difficult, you can switch to heme iron -- the threshold is much higher than ionic iron (600mg of calcium versus 300mg) but you pay quite a bit more for the added absorption and for the ability to take it with more stuff.

gadgetlady
on 2/2/10 12:49 pm
What do you mean when you say threshold?  Does that mean the amount of calcium you can take with the iron with having the calcium impact the iron absorption?

"2 hours if you can" -- so the occasional 1.5 hours or so won't have a huge impact?  I'm thinking a lot of the iron is already absorbing in the system by the time the calcium is swallowed, dissolves, and starts getting absorbed.  Make sense?

Andrea U.
on 2/2/10 12:57 pm - Wilson, NC
300mg is the magic number.

A sip of milk is not going to negate your iron dose.  300mg of calcium is when your ionic iron gets negated.  Too many people seem to think that it's an all or nothing -- it's not quite so black and white.  This is why you'll typically see 300mg of calcium in your multivites with iron -- because 300mg is where the calcium begins to impair ionic iron absorption.

It's just easier to say "don't take with calcium" rather than say "avoid with calcium above 300mgs" -- especially when it's so overwhelming already.

But remember that high amounts of tanins, as well as whole grains are enemies of ionic iron as well.

You'll get absorption, yes -- but maybe not all of it.  There's no way to tell how much you'll have for certain.
gadgetlady
on 2/2/10 1:07 pm
Thanks.  I take 500 mg. of iron 3x/day, and then 1 pill of 250 mg. at the end of the day.  Maybe I'll just switch this around and take the 250 in the AM and not worry about it anymore.

Where are tanins found?

Andrea U.
on 2/2/10 1:10 pm - Wilson, NC
When you say you take 500mg -- is that 500mg of salt -- or elemental?  Cause 1500mg of elemental iron is alot -- even for me. 

I'm assuming you're taking something like a ferrous "something" that's 500mg that's equivalent to x amount of elemental iron, right?

Tanins are found in coffee (decaf and regular), tea (decaf and tea), and red wine. 

gadgetlady
on 2/2/10 1:19 pm
OOPS!  I totally misspoke!  I take 500 mg of CALCIUM 3x/day.  SORRY ABOUT THAT!  I would go back and correct it but then this thread wouldn't make any sense.

I don't drink coffee or red wine and tea only infrequently.

Andrea U.
on 2/2/10 1:21 pm - Wilson, NC
*Whew*!!  Cause, yannow, 1500mgs elemental would have been a whole bunch!

Plum1967
on 2/2/10 7:29 pm - Hawthorne, NJ
Andrea... what, if anything, do you know about Bifera?  heme and non-heme in one pill.  How much should be taken on a daily basis?    Box says 1 pill is 28 mg, breakdown to 22mg non-heme and 6mg heme.

I generally try to take 2 SlowFE iron per day now, and I'm just wondering if you know how these would compare to that?

Thanks...

~wendy

I've partnered with Team In Training to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

If you want to help fight blood cancers, please consider donating at http://pages.teamintraining.org/nj/rnr12/wnystrom.

Thank you for your support!

Andrea U.
on 2/2/10 7:54 pm - Wilson, NC
Bifera is a new product that just came out a few months ago (and last I checked, btw, there was a $2 off coupon on their website).

You can't equate heme with ionic iron.  Anyone who says you can is lying.  It just doesn't work.

The Iron Disorders Institute says this about heme, though:

"About Proferrin(tm):  Performance studies indicate that iron absorption rates are between 15% and 20% withoute erythropoietin (EPO) therapy and as high as 30% with EPO therapy even in patients with high serum ferritin values (>600 ng/ml).  In one study, the change in serum iron from Proferrin(tm) was nearly 23 times greater than from an identical dose of ferrous fumarate.  Also, study participants were able to tolerate up to 60 mgs per dose on an empty stomach with fewer gastrointestinal side effects; a common complaint from patients taking traditional oral iron preparations.  An additional benefit of heme iron supplementation is that patients can take it with their meals, unlike ionic iron preparations, which must be taken on an empty stomach between meals."

So with that said, I like the fact that heme can be purchased redily by normal folk -- and paired with poly iron, which is also a highly absorbable iron -- this is a good product.

It's expensive, though -- given it's $19.99 price tag for 30 pills -- it is much more than the ferrous sulfate tabs that people can easily take 6x as many of for the same price of the Bifera.  This is why monopolies are bad (I think only one company really does heme in the US).

But I have to tell you -- I got amazing results with the Proferrin alone that I didn't get with ionic -- including poly blends.  So it's worth a shot -- especially since I think I'm just broken for ionic iron (like some people are unable to absorb D, some for B12, etc).

You CAN get Proferrin from vitalady -- a 12mg heme only pill for about $57 for a 90 pill bottle.  It comes out cheaper if you don't want the poly part -- and you double the amount of heme.  You can get the same deal from the manufacturer directly, of course -- but I have to tell you that their shipping is much slower, and their communication isn't the greatest.  I'd place the order and never know when it would actually ship -- with Vitalady I knew when it shipped and had a tracking number.  For the same price, it seems silly to deal with the question of when and I can help a fellow WLSer out.  But that's just me.

Brad T.
on 2/2/10 3:42 pm
Sooo, I was not aware of this.  Am i not supposed to take my iron with certain foods.  They only ever told me to wait 2 hours before or after taking calcium.  I have been taking my iron all along at dinner time.  No****ching at all anything I ate with it.  I know about the calcium, but what are the things i shouldnt eat or drink with iron?   
I my RNY!  It saved my life!     Get Ready for the New You!
Andrea U.
on 2/2/10 6:03 pm - Wilson, NC
Iron doesn't like whole grains, tanins (coffee, red wine, tea), and some vegetables.

Actually, iron should be taken on an empty stomach.  It loves an acidic environment.