ipray · 46 replies · 935 views
Rushing
magoo1017 · 46 replies · 1512 views

Bariatric Advantage's Ready To Drink Coffee Pro Joe Review

M M
on 2/5/10 7:49 am

Bariatric Advantage's Pro Joe

DSC_7757

We Are Not Going To Discuss My Espresso Machine.  OKAY?  With that in mind - I think I am going on a coffee protein bender.  

Bariatric Advantage was lovely to send me some of their new ready to drink protein, Pro-Joe.  

ProJoe is a healthier twist on your favorite brew. Each serving of these delicious coffee and tea drinks provides you with a full 20 grams of protein and only 5 grams of carbohydrates. You also get an added nutritional boost of vitamins A, C, D, B1, B5, B6, B12 and Calcium - definitely not your typical coffeehouse drink! Only $25.99 per case of 12 saving you over $5 per case! .

I have been hesitant on posting about it.  Why?  Because it is apparently identical to another ready to drink protein product in the Bariatric marketplace that costs more.  I have been told that it IS the same product, and until proved otherwise, so be it.

Pro-Joe comes in a glass bottle, not unlike the Starbucks Bottled Frappuccino - so you COULD pretend and think you're having something oh so naughty.  It comes in three flavors -

Vanilla, 12 count ($ 25.99)
Mocha, 12 count ($ 25.99)
Chai, 12 count ($ 25.99)

CategoryHandler

The cover, reminded me of Gerber baby food, and I was brought back to jars of bananas for a moment.  *sigh*  But, I got over it and shook 'er up.  

DSC_7759
First, I tried the Mocha Latte, for no other reason than seeing the word MOCHA.  ;)  (I am a mocha fiend.  I have taken to a very bad habit at The 'Bucks.  "Add a pump of mocha."  They do not carry sugar free mocha anymore.)

The smell of the Mocha?  Vaguely coffee like, milky, 

DISCLAIMER!  Let it be known, I drink a SERIOUSLY STRONG cup most of the time.  It would cause most of you distress to even consider.  

I might have expected a little more punch to it - but that is likely because I am a crackhead.

The Nillacinno smells like melted vanilla ice cream.  Really.   Digging this smell.

Taste?  

The Mocha was a bit like coffee milk, not very strong at all.  The Nillaccino is VERY vanilla, with just a touch of coffee.  I have not opened the Chai - as I would bounce off the ceiling right now.  I like the Nillaccino more than the mocha.  I will let you know about the Chai.

Texture?  Thin, "milky," not unlike a cup of regular coffee (aka, "Can I have a regular?) with milk, with a slight grainy feel to it.  Grainy might not be the right word -- but there is something to it.

Then, I realized again, This Is A Protein Product.  I had forgotten.  Protein is protein.  Protein has protein-y qualities, and cannot be completely dissolved to zero.  It leaves the slightest touch of protein mouth feel.

What are the ingredients in ProJoe?

Mocha: INGREDIENTS: Brewed Arabica coffee (coffee and water), EasyGest protein blend (milk protein concentrate and whole grain brown rice protein), carageenan, dipotassium phosphate, natural and artificial flavors, calcium hydroxide, caffeine, Ace-K, sucralose, niacin, pantothenic acid, cyanocobalamin, pyridoxine HCL.

Chai: INGREDIENTS: Brewed tea (tea and water), EasyGest protein blend (milk protein concentrate and whole grain brown rice protein), carageenan, natural flavors, dipotassium phosphate, calcium hydroxide, caffeine, Ace-K, sucralose, niacin, pantothenic acid, cyanocobalamin, pyroxide HCL.

Nillaccino: INGREDIENTS: Brewed Arabica coffee (coffee and water), EasyGest protein blend (milk protein concentrate and whole grain brown rice protein), carageenan, dipotassium phosphate, natural and artificial flavors, calcium hydroxide, caffeine, Ace-K, sucralose, niacin, pantothenic acid, cyanocobalamin, pyroxide HCL.

The nutrition stats -

Picture 42 
20 grams of protein in a single 9.5 ounce bottle is pretty cool, and as a early post op, would have likely been a life-saver for me.  I was sipping on Iced Coffee pretty early out -- had I the brains to ADD PROTEIN to it?  HA!  (Keep in mind, that was SIX YEARS AGO, where I was told Carnation Instant Breakfast is IT.)  

I would suggest this product especially to newbie post op WLS'ers who are feigning for their old coffee fix.  Had you quit drinking your "light with cream lotsa sugar" coffees?  This might give you a bit of that back, with healthy stuff added.  For fiends like me, you might have the urge to throw this in the blender with more espresso.

• Product - Bariatric Advantage's Pro Joe
  • Price - $25.99 per case
  • Via - Bariatric Advantage 
  • Pros - 20 grams of protein,  having a protein "shake" than isn't really like a "protein shake," low sugar, zero fat, a bit of caffeine, vitamins, glass bottle that makes you high-class ;)
  • Cons - Not as strong as this crackhead wants, protein is detectable, mouthfeel.
  • Rating - Pouchworthy, MM
MoLawEd
on 2/5/10 8:20 am - Cambridge, MA
This is a great review.  I completely agree with your assessment of the mocha and nillacino flavors, and like you I love a STRONG coffee flavor (which means I usually wind up using these as creamer in stronger coffee.)  I'd rank the flavors (1) nillacino, (2) chai, distant (3) mocha, surprising for this chocolate lover - there's just not much chocolate flavor in the mocha.  For me, both of the products are the same price because I pay more for shipping from BA than from the other place.  I'm hoping this brings the price of both down!  Thanks again.

Having RNY was probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

M M
on 2/5/10 8:21 am
Thank you -- I was trying to be perfectly honest and fair -- and like you I might consider using it IN coffee!
Celia S.
on 2/5/10 8:37 am - Clarks Summit, PA
Thanks so much!! I am a big mocha Starbucks fan. So this is making me very happy to see, I thought I would never be able to have anything like it again!!
Celia

TeresaJay
on 2/5/10 9:05 am - Greensboro, NC
VSG on 01/22/09 with
I am a weak coffee drinker, more cream than coffee actually and not a fan of cold coffee. Can this be heated up, ya think?
"There is a skinny woman trapped inside of me. I can usually shut her up with cookies and chips but today I am setting her free" 
M M
on 2/5/10 9:17 am
Yes - it would be super warm.
Karen M.
on 2/5/10 10:08 am - Mississauga, Canada
Great review - your posts always crack me up.

I wonder if I can get this in Canada...

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

ladeechef
on 2/5/10 11:13 am - Manassas, VA
Revision on 01/11/10 with
That's awesome!!  I've been wondering about these drinks!!  Thanks for the feedback!

Highest Weight Pre RNY - 342
Lowest Weight Post RNY - 167

Highest Weight from Regain - 236
Surgery Weight  - 222

Goal Weight (I think) - 145

First Goal - Get back under 200, 2nd Goal - Get to weight I was when I met my husband (180), 3rd Goal - Get to post RNY lowest weight (167), Ultimate Goal - Get to 145 or less!!!  Baby steppin' it all the way!!  I WILL be victorious!!

Ro Smiley
on 2/5/10 12:18 pm - Charlotte, NC
FobiPouch on 11/18/05 with
I am not loving these drinks.  I think they are a bit too sweet and "milky,"with not enough coffee flavor for my liking.  I LOVE the BELIEVE drinks sold by Bariatriceating.com and the old formula AchievOne, so I was dissappointed in these ( I purchased the Mocha flavor).

I will try your suggestion of using them in coffee, though--otherwise they would sit in their poor case under my desk at work while the BE drinks are being consumed up above. 
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/10 12:54 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 12/21/09 with
I'm going to have to try these. I need my fix!
MSNICENURSE
on 2/5/10 6:40 pm - PASADENA, TX
I got samples at a conference, and they all made me gag. Neither of them had the distinctive coffee taste that I prefer and they smell kind of like geriatric tube feeding to me. Anyway, I threw them out after two sip each and was totally relieved that I hadn't spent all that money on a case.   My conclusion is this

WLS=fantastic
COFFEE=fantastic
PROTEIN=sucks
COFFEE PROTEIN=sucks terribly
COFFE PROTEIN AT $25.00 A CASE=offensive and sucks terribly

RNY Gastric Bypass on April 21, 2009.  Finally past the 200 mark.....first time since junior high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Started at 260 size 22/24 pants......2x        Currently at 182 size 14 ..........L

Goal: I have no idea, but teeny-tiny should be good

M M
on 2/6/10 3:22 am
LMFAO!  I like you.
tierra012683
on 7/30/10 6:35 pm - Indianapolis, IN
I had one of these in my fridge for two months and was afraid to try it! Once i tried it, and it was the mocha flavor, I was hooked. I ordered six more to try different flavors! Pretty yummy, and about the same price as a tub of protein powder!
"They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself"           
iambosslady
on 9/16/10 7:17 pm - Bentonville, AR
I ordered a variety case and tried the Chai Tea flavor today.  LOVED it!!!  I always liked my coffee like "cream and sweetner with a little coffee," so this is right up my alley.  I had gastric sleeve a couple of months ago and have had a hard time getting enough protein in.  I can still eat just small amounts of anything and all the protein products I have tried make me gag.  I've never been a milk drinker and I don't eat yogurt or cottage cheese.  Now I will take one of the Pro Joe drinks for lunch everyday.  Maybe even one for breakfast, until I can eat more.  Kind of expensive, but I've spent more on fast food in the past.  Just wish I could find it locally instead of having to pay shipping.
Dstc_99
on 12/5/12 9:46 am - WA
VSG on 08/13/12 with

I would have to say I love the Chai and the Mocha but don't care for the Nillacino. The Nillacino is a little too sweet for me. The Mocha is less sweet and the Chai has all that chai flavor so I can't help but drink it. Thankfully I have a place here to get them. Unfortunately that place closes at 4pm and I can't make it there on time :(

I do agree with adding them to coffee to make them have more coffee flavor. Has anyone tried heating them yet? Does it work?

meggy1978
on 3/31/14 5:39 am

Where can I buy the pro joes for that price I pay 40

.00 a case for them .

M M
on 9/16/10 7:30 pm
 Glad you enjoyed it!