WHY NO DUMPING SYNDROME WITH RNY GASTRIC BYPASS?

Mysticlippitt
on 2/8/10 8:59 am
I have a question.  I am out 14 months now since RNY Gastric Bypass Surgery.  I am not doing well with weightloss.  Since regaining about 41 pounds, I discovered that I do not ever experience "Dumping Syndrome" with any food at all - including SUGAR???? How can this be possible??  That is why I requested RNY with malapsorbtion, so I would not be able to eat surgar and other bad foods. Anyone out there with a logical explanation?  I sure would appreciate it.
Mysticlippitt
poet_kelly
on 2/8/10 9:02 am - OH
Malabsorption does not cause dumping.  Malabsorption just means you don't absorb vitamins and minerals well.  You have that.  Everyone with RNY has that.  Malabsorption doesn't prevent you from eating sugar or other "bad foods" though.

Dumping is a reaction that occurs when some people with RNY eat large amounts of sugar.  It triggers a release of insulin that causes unpleasant symptoms.  But only about 30% of people dump after RNY.  If you chose RNY because you wanted to dump, well, the odds were against you.

Kelly

ellen J.
on 2/8/10 9:03 am - NY
(((((Baby))))

Not everybody dumps.
Talk to your Surgeon, go see you Nut.
Good Luck,
Ellen
Kathy J.
on 2/8/10 9:04 am
Wow, good question.  I wish I had an answer but I don't.  I'm farther out than you and I still dump on bad things, I know what I can eat and what I can't.  I do notice however, that I don't dump as often as I did when I was earlier out and that sorta scares me. I want to dump...LOL...so I won't want to eat the junk that I use to.  What does your surgeon say?   How did he expain the weight gain that early out from surgery?   My surgeon would've ripped me a new "you know what" if I went back to his office with a gain.  Maybe his insight could help!   Hope you get it worked out though...stay strong and try to get back on track  :)   Tomorrow is a new day!   
Shelly C.
on 2/8/10 9:05 am - Alameda, CA
The medical reports state that not everyone will have dumping syndrome, and many who do dump early will gain a tolerence or the body will adjust. The main reason for malabsorption is not to dump, it is to allow your body to absorb less calories. Dumping is a reminder or punishment for those who do dump. My sister who is 9 years our gained weight back too because she did not really dump. She has went back to basics and has lost 40 lbs over the last 4 months or so. She learned how to graze past the pouch, and put the weigh back on. Unfortunatly, you may be some of the few that is going to have to exercise food choice control to get back on track. Good luck to you.

Shelly

Extended Tummy Tuck w lipo/Muscle Repair // BL/Aug // Arm Lift Aug 2012
poet_kelly
on 2/8/10 9:10 am - OH
I don't think it's only a few that have to exercise food choice control after RNY.  We ALL have to exercise control.  I do dump on sugar, but I can eat crackers 'til the cows come home.  I can eat pizza.  I can eat pasta.  But if I eat these things too much, I'll gain weight back.  We all have to exercise control.  I hope you're not going into this thinking you don't need to exercise control, because if you are, you're setting yourself up for failure.

Kelly
Shelly C.
on 2/8/10 12:24 pm - Alameda, CA
Thank you for your concern. I did make very good food choices, however not everyone who is overweight got that way because of food addictions or eating out of control. In my case there are other medibolic issues that are being addressed by getting the bypass. I think the biggest shocker will be the reduced food intake allowing my 600-800 calorie diet, which is the only way I was able to lose weight over the years. I know I will have dumping as I ate strained cream of potato soup one night and dumped the next night on the same soup.

Shelly

Extended Tummy Tuck w lipo/Muscle Repair // BL/Aug // Arm Lift Aug 2012
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 6:57 am
 I soo agree-almost everyone at 24 months plus post op will have to have STRICT CALORIE control
and excersize not to lose weight(if they still need to as in the case of super morbidly obese) but just
to stay the same weight and NOT REGAIN
This is so hard
I had lapband in 2005 
revision to RNY GASTRIC BYPASS IN 2009
lost 160lbs but still need to lose 90lbs and if I eat ANYTHING OVER 850 CALORIES per day I gain weight
which is ironic as before i had bariatric  wl surgery I would have lost stones on this small amount of daily calorie intake.
I have approx 4stones of excess skin which I cant afford to have removed even though it has given me significant medical problems now
what a rollercoaster ride 
WHO KNEW EH?
MsBatt
on 4/6/11 1:22 am
On January 1, 1970 at 12:00 AM Pacific Time, wrote:
It's NOT true that everyone has to have strict calorie control in order to maintain their weight loss. I eat 2500-3000 calories every day; thanks to my DS, I only absorb about half of them, and am easily maintaining a loss of 173 pounds.

I don't exercise regularly either.
Tracy Ta Da
on 6/16/14 12:34 am - Hurst, TX

You just love to rub it in, don't you miss DS? LOL

Thanks!

Tracy
Start 336
Surgery Dec 2003

Gained back up to 277.  Revision planned to resolve jejunum diverticulitis. Post revision completed 12/2013

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1400 views