WHY NO DUMPING SYNDROME WITH RNY GASTRIC BYPASS?

Chilipepper
on 2/8/10 11:22 am
It all comes down to the basic's ....just because you could...doesn't mean you should  ...This is only a tool and you should learn how to use it to its max benefit.  You weight loss or weight gain has a lot to do with what you put in your mouth.  You know you shouldn't have sugar. 

Go back to the basics..

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Valerie G.
on 2/8/10 8:45 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Only half of RNY's dump, so yeah, it's not the best reason to select the RNY, for as you see, there are no guarantees.  You're left with your own willpower.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

countrygirl30161
on 2/8/10 9:56 pm

Just because you don't dump doesn't mean you should eat everything you want to.  I know its tough, but you still have your pouch and you should STRICTLY follow the pouch rules if you want to see weight loss start again.  Start by following all of the rules...Protein first, veggies then fruit and limit carbs.  No drinking with eating or 30 minutes after.  Educate yourself, find all the books you can read on gastric bypass and life after and use to web to research your surgery.  You can do this!  Good Luck!

Mandy

ladybugnessa
on 2/9/10 1:02 am - Owings Mills, MD
While I would love to have some dumping it does not appear as if it's going to be as big a deal for me as I had hoped.  

RNY is a tool just like any other surgery... and you have to use it properly.   Depending on DUMPING to keep you in line is not a good strategy.   

Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

JaVin70
on 2/9/10 1:07 am, edited 2/9/10 1:07 am - manalapan, NJ
RNY on 04/20/09 with
Unfortunately like other people have said on this board dumping only occurs in about 30% of patients the other 70% have to do it the old fashioned way and realize what they can and cannot eat what you need to do is go see your Nut. and Doc. and talk to them and see how to get back on the right road to success good luck and god bless

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 10:46 am
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 10:47 am
What they said ;0) lol
--------------------------------

I don't appear to be one the the 30% that dump either. I base this on the the fact that I use liquid Tylenol which my nut says has a lot of sugar in it. I do have issues with carbs and fat though.... I ate some protein bars that I didnt notice had a HIGH amount of carbs in it, ugg. And got lazy a few night s ago and ate the topping of some pizza I figured out REAL FAST that the fat in the toppings are a BIG FAT non no for me. NO dumping mind you but felt soooooo sick and (oddly enough) greasy!

I feel your pain, but you'll be thankful later on.

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 11:28 am
To me one surgery is not better than another one, We all got cut one way or another, We can gain weight with all of them, if we don't get our eating habits together. this is just a tool it is up to us to work it, To me portion control is where it is at. Also I don't know whether i dum*****t but in my mind I do, so i choose not to eat sugar or to much fat. I was always good at setting myself up or finding a excuse to eat before, But now i am a different person, I used to see my daughter eat, she is not big never has been, because how she eats, she has always eaten portion control,  and when she is full she does not care what she has on her plate she will get up and throw it away. and she has always made good choices, when we used to eat pizza she would eat 1 slice along with a salad and she would be finish, me I would eat at least 3. Now I understand portion control and exercise. I finally got it :). and this wls has been a great tool to help me with portion control. I am almost 8 months and i have lost 135 pounds, I have 55 more pounds to goal. By me dong this now it will help me when the honeymoon period is over. So get back on the horse and ride it girl. Get your new habits going again.....take care
Diminishing Dawn
on 1/28/12 11:47 pm - Windsor, Canada
I'm always surprised when people go into surgery expecting that they'll be a dumper. Sure I wanted to be one too, but I read enough to know that dumping is not guaranteed. It's a POSSIBILITY for sure but most people don't dump and those that do, typically only do so in their first year.   Something like 60% of people do not dump. 

We call this a tool for a reason. It's still up to you to make good choices.  It's still up to you to follow your post op diet. Did your dietician not give you any guidelines on sugars and fat limits? 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

MyLady Heidi
on 1/29/12 12:05 am
Have your blood sugar checked to see if it is high, unfortunately that can happen after a time.
Most Active