WHY NO DUMPING SYNDROME WITH RNY GASTRIC BYPASS?

AnneGG
on 1/29/12 1:03 am
Surgery doesn't fix our brains or our bad habits- only we can do that, and it takes a lot of hard work and discipline. Which is what I have the hardest time with- did before surgery, too, otherwise I wouldn't have been fat.

It sounds like you had bad luck with a hard loss at the same time as your surgery, and that sure can screw things up because loss causes us to regress. Sorry for your hard time- I hope it is as resolved as it can be now.

I think you are going to need to get to the basics of weight loss, because there is no magic in this surgery other than helping us get the weight off if we work it right. As many have already said, dumping is not useful as a way to stop ourselves from eating.

Judith Beck has an excellent book- The Beck Diet Solution that I have found helpful with managing myself. Good therapy can also help.

There is just no easy way. I wish you courage and perserverence! One day at a time.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Laura T.
on 1/10/16 7:41 pm - Carthage, NC

Hi

I totally get what you're saying. I hate being sick and will generally do whatever I need to do to not throw up--ergot why gastric was perfect for me. However, like yourself, I've gained about 50 lbs back and am finding that I do not dump as often, or hardly at all. I do however, have horrible night sweats again. I think I "worked through the dumping" with my addiction to chocolate chip cookies!

Laura T
Whether therefore ye eat or drink, do all to the glory of God.  

MissMaryMac
on 2/9/10 3:01 am - Maple Grove, MN
This surgery isn't a magic bullet that causes you to lose weight and change nothing. You have to change your habits, your food choices etc. or you can be right back where you were before. This isn't anything new -- if you had any education from your surgeon office prior they should have told you this.

Get it in your head that you DO dump if you eat too much sugar or fat and start eating that way.   This surgery helps control your appetite and hunger during the honeymoon - but after that, the work is all up to you and hopefully the new habits you formed.

** I am a Susan G Komen 3-Day Walker --- WLS allowed me to make it all 60 miles in 2010 and 2011 and I'm doing it again in 2012!!  
Most Active