Colonoscopy after Gastric Bypass

robslove
on 2/10/10 12:38 am, edited 2/10/10 12:55 am - Gastonia, NC
Hi all,

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

I've been having severe pain in my upper left side since October of 2009, my PCP and Gastric doc haven't a clue what is going on. So my PCP is requesting a Colonoscopy. I am concerned about the prep for the procedure post-op. How will I be required to clean myself out and how with that affect me? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Shelly

Shelly Roo
Highest 272, Current 167,0 Goal 157

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/10 1:26 am - River Falls, WI

I've had it done 3 times since RNY. The first time, being ignorant, I went and got the crappy stuff that you have to mix about a gallon of plain water with. It tasted so salty and tangy, and I don't like salty. I also couldn't drink 32 ounces an hour! And I threw up much of it.  Still,enough of it stayed in that it cleaned me out. 

The next time I asked about using magnesium citrate instead and the doc agreed as long as I was on a clear liquids only diet for 24 hours before I took the mag cit. I only had to drink about 8 ounces of that -- still nasty but doable and it worked just fine.  So, i used that for my pre-op to a hysterectomy and my most recent colonoscopy.

Getting it down is the only challenge. Other than that I really don't feel it affected me any differently than it would a non-WLS person.

Just hang close to the toilet -- surprising how long lasting the "effects" are.

Ann

vitalady
on 2/10/10 3:55 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I'm due this year. Again.

Funny how the birthdays pick up speed over time, huh?

I used Phospho soda before, but it's off the market, so this time I'll use the mag citrate (the bowel prep, not the pills) and do the day of clears before, then mag cit at say, 8am and again at 8am, allowed to drink water up to 2 hrs before check in.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

lmaxwell
on 2/10/10 8:31 am - Dallas, GA
I have had two since my surgery 7 years ago.  It is not bad.  Try to get your doctor to give you the pills to clean you out.  I did the loads of liquid the first time and it is nasty.  I didn't have any problem getting it down, other than the fact that it is just disgusting though.  I will probbly have another one soon and I am not concerned.  You should be fine.  Just take the day before off and stay home...you won' be able to get far away from te bathroom.
Most Active