What kind of Chinese food do you order after WLS?

Mountain Mama
on 2/10/10 1:19 am - Evansville, IN
My choices would be:

Hot 'n Sour Soup
Teriyaki Chicken Stick
Bonless Pork Rib
Crab Rangoon (1)
Gen. Tsao Chicken
Curry or Sesame Chicken
Steamed Salmon
Chilled, Boiled Shrimp
Fried Rice ( 1/2 spoonful)

Not all at the same time, mind you . . .  just the things I tend to lean towards now after WLS

Pre-Op  3 mos. post op  5 mos. post op  At Goal  Surgery Date - 12/10/2009  Goal Met -8/26/2010

jennmomof4
on 2/10/10 1:41 am
all sounds yummy.. but I had a question I thought the Gen. Tso chicken , and Terriyaki would be too sweet..

Mountain Mama
on 2/10/10 2:17 am - Evansville, IN
This is what I found on the Teriyaki Chicken Stick --

Cals -- 109
Total Fat. -- 1.7g
Sat. Fat -- .4g
Cholesterol -- 44mg
Sodium -- 1122mg
Total Cars -- 4.5g
Sugars -- 2.7g
Protein -- 18.1g

And for the General Tsao Chicken (2 pcs -- my limit)

Cals -- 211
Total Fat -- 10g
Sat. Fat -- 1.3g
Cholesterol -- 13mg
Sodium -- 540mg
Total Carbs - 15g
Dietary Fiber - .5g
Sugars - 3g
Protein -- 6g

The sodium content is the real issue for me right now.  But considering I only have Chinese food once a month, I can plan the rest of my day around going out for Chinese food (usually protein shakes and/or cottage cheese/ protein bars) and plan what I'm going to have ahead of time.  We always go to a buffet so I can control the portions myself.

But the sugar content is not nearly as bad as I envisioned it.  And when you're limited to 3-4 oz per meal, you don't eat that much to begin with.

Pre-Op  3 mos. post op  5 mos. post op  At Goal  Surgery Date - 12/10/2009  Goal Met -8/26/2010

Elizabeth N.
on 2/10/10 4:59 am - Burlington County, NJ
A LOT of the Chinese sauces have hidden sugars, so it's a good idea to beware of them if you are a dumper on sugar.
Laura_Illinois
on 2/10/10 2:06 am - Morris, IL
That sounds like a good list. I'm going to have to get some Chinese today for sure!

If life knocks you down 7 times, get up 8!Laura_Illinois

vervetoloose
on 2/10/10 1:43 am
Shrimp w/ bean sprouts.......no rice.
Egg drop soup

" Oh you who love clear edges more than anything...........watch the edges that blurr."

rockmygypsysoul007
on 2/10/10 1:57 am - Moneta, VA

I may get bamboozled for this but I pretty much eat what I want to. Now, 3 years out, mind you, what I want is the 'healthier' stuff generally. My fav; egg drop soup (mmmmmm.....). Yes, I put some of those crispy things in it. I love beef and pepper (w/onion)  and I DO get a bit of fried rice. I am 3 years out tho and been getting the rice from about 18 mos out. I did not start from the get go. The beef and pepper tho is very very healthy and yummy. Pork and mushroom is good to. None of these are deep fried. General Tso's is good if not too spicy. Beef or Chicken and Broccoli are good too. Anything not deep fried you are generally good. I am bad and do allow myself a few crap rangoons but again, I know how I am going to react, don't overdo it and don't eat out that much.

Hope this helps some.

http://thelosingside.paulglover.net/

-50      -100      -172!                               
   "To Love Another Person Is To See The Face Of God"~~~~~~~~"Les Mis"
Laura_Illinois
on 2/10/10 2:15 am - Morris, IL
Yes, thanks for your input. It's nice to hear from some one who is further down the line than me.

It's nice to know that re-fried rice may be in the picture down the road . I don't miss it too much right now. I'm in that active weight loss stage, so I'm pretty focused about getting to goal.

Beef and pepper w/ onion sounds good. I like Mongolian Beef and that sounds like it would keep better than Beef and Broccolli in the fridge. The broccolli goes bad by the next day and ruins the leftovers. I found out the hard way.

If life knocks you down 7 times, get up 8!Laura_Illinois

Stella-Blue
on 2/10/10 2:08 am - Where the four winds blow me safely home, NY
Special diet menu "Veggie delight" or "Buddist Delight".  Everything on that menu is steamed, no salt, no sugar...with less bad sauce on the side.  NO RICE!

Start: 487 lbs (8/07) Lost 81 lbs pre op on South Beach. 406 lbs at surgery (6/08). 179 post op, by 2011. I  lost 308 lbs. Gained 98 while pregnant (2012-13) lost all but 25. My goal is to be 179 again!
   siggy1 photo b83557eb-1c5e-4e0a-90b7-89760c2e36e2.jpg   Two years after that.... photo 44fcb3ac-18c4-4dfd-bf38-d324f956cf75.jpg      photo c2781653-fea8-4141-8cac-f0889127d077.jpg  I could not be happier. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/10 2:10 am - Philly, PA and New Windsor, NY
lemon chicken (the place by me does not bread it- I know some places do though)
wonton soup
egg drop soup
chicken (or beef) and broccoli...