shining_starre · 46 replies · 2371 views
So confused! What do you guys think?
ipray · 46 replies · 946 views
Rushing
magoo1017 · 46 replies · 1513 views

Scar tissue at new gastric opening

bubbylucy
on 2/15/10 10:51 am - Raleigh, NC
I had the Roux-en Y gastric bypass on 12/14/2009 and have now found myself in a struggle with scar tissue. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with being dilated over and over. I am very discouraged and wanted to hear if someone has come out on the other side. I have had three dilations in the past month, each time I seem to go longer without having issues with eating but after 3 times I am getting scared to eat and always waiting for it to happen again. Please help!!!!!
elizabethbc
on 2/15/10 11:33 am
Hi:

I had my original RNY in 2005, and recently had a revision due to serious complications.

During the course of healing after my original surgery, I had strictures that needed dilation.  All I can say is hang in there.  After several procedures I didn't need any more.  Please try to get in as much nutrition as you can - healing depends on it.  For now, stay with softer foods and try not to worry.  

Peace,
elizabeth
bubbylucy
on 2/15/10 11:47 am - Raleigh, NC
How many times was several. I am sooooo sick of protein, when do you have room for veggies and fruit?

Thanks for the encouragement.
MsBatt
on 2/15/10 2:56 pm
I know someone who was dilated 14 times before it 'took'. But it did, finally.
reenieb
on 2/15/10 12:21 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi Elizabeth, how are things going after your revision? If I recall, you had your original RNY augmented (tightened up) rather than opting for a different type surgery, is that right? What did your surgeon actually do? Hope all is well. Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
elizabethbc
on 2/15/10 3:06 pm
Hi:

I had a gastrogastric fistula from my first surgery that never got better.  Right after surgery I developed complications - ulcers, strictures and pain.  They did multiple endoscopies, and tried multiple medications, but the fistula grew, first one, and later, two.  I had ulcers at the anastomosis as well.  I was getting treatment for all this, but then lost my insurance.  For three years, I just lived with the pain and I had to severely restrict calories to maintain my weight loss.  In August, my company was bought out, and my insurance changed again.  I saw my surgeon in September, and he ordered another upper endoscopy.  I still had the ulcers, and had now had TWO gastrogastric fisulae instead of the original one that would not heal.  I also had a hiatal hernia.

Fast forward to January - the original bypass was completely re-done, the hernia was repaired and the anastomosis was reconnected after removing an additional portion of intestine.

So far, things are good, and I am babying my pouch, even though I really would like some coffee : )

Thanks for asking!
elizabeth
bubbylucy
on 2/15/10 5:04 pm - Raleigh, NC
I am so sorry to hear of all your struggles. It makes my complication seem minor. I know things will get better, but I get over whelmed. Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. As big as Duke is as a center of excellence for bariatrics, they have alot of improving to do. I would have liked to talk to someone who had gone through the complication I had.
Thanks again
Audra