Scar tissue at new gastric opening

on 2/15/10 2:51 am - Raleigh, NC
I had the Roux-en Y gastric bypass on 12/14/2009 and have now found myself in a struggle with scar tissue. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with being dilated over and over. I am very discouraged and wanted to hear if someone has come out on the other side. I have had three dilations in the past month, each time I seem to go longer without having issues with eating but after 3 times I am getting scared to eat and always waiting for it to happen again. Please help!!!!!
on 2/15/10 3:33 am

I had my original RNY in 2005, and recently had a revision due to serious complications.

During the course of healing after my original surgery, I had strictures that needed dilation.  All I can say is hang in there.  After several procedures I didn't need any more.  Please try to get in as much nutrition as you can - healing depends on it.  For now, stay with softer foods and try not to worry.  

on 2/15/10 3:47 am - Raleigh, NC
How many times was several. I am sooooo sick of protein, when do you have room for veggies and fruit?

Thanks for the encouragement.
on 2/15/10 6:56 am
I know someone who was dilated 14 times before it 'took'. But it did, finally.
on 2/15/10 4:21 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi Elizabeth, how are things going after your revision? If I recall, you had your original RNY augmented (tightened up) rather than opting for a different type surgery, is that right? What did your surgeon actually do? Hope all is well. Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
on 2/15/10 7:06 am

I had a gastrogastric fistula from my first surgery that never got better.  Right after surgery I developed complications - ulcers, strictures and pain.  They did multiple endoscopies, and tried multiple medications, but the fistula grew, first one, and later, two.  I had ulcers at the anastomosis as well.  I was getting treatment for all this, but then lost my insurance.  For three years, I just lived with the pain and I had to severely restrict calories to maintain my weight loss.  In August, my company was bought out, and my insurance changed again.  I saw my surgeon in September, and he ordered another upper endoscopy.  I still had the ulcers, and had now had TWO gastrogastric fisulae instead of the original one that would not heal.  I also had a hiatal hernia.

Fast forward to January - the original bypass was completely re-done, the hernia was repaired and the anastomosis was reconnected after removing an additional portion of intestine.

So far, things are good, and I am babying my pouch, even though I really would like some coffee : )

Thanks for asking!
on 2/15/10 9:04 am - Raleigh, NC
I am so sorry to hear of all your struggles. It makes my complication seem minor. I know things will get better, but I get over whelmed. Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. As big as Duke is as a center of excellence for bariatrics, they have alot of improving to do. I would have liked to talk to someone who had gone through the complication I had.
Thanks again