Anyone have an Ikea bed? Are they big girl friendly?

Sarahlicious
on 2/28/10 2:59 am - Portsmouth, OH
I need a new bed frame, was considering the ASPELUND or LEIRVIK from Ikea and to get the mid-grade bed slates, not the cheapest ones. I weigh around 350 and wonder if these beds are sturdy. I've heard good things about Ikea beds, but from normal sized people.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Tassia
on 2/28/10 3:06 am
 Just from my experience with myself and my ex, and now my son, platform beds hold up the best for heavy people.  My ex and I went through tons of frames before finding a nice brass platform that we could attach our headboard to. I have one I got from Walmart for about 200 bucks.  Beds with legs are asking for trouble. 
*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128

Andrea U.
on 2/28/10 3:18 am - Wilson, NC
We LOVE our IKEA bed.

We have the Hemnes bed -- and have had at one time or another both adults (400lbs), both kids (60lbs), and both dogs (120lbs) in the king-sized bed.  No problems, no creaking, no worries.

And we weren't just lying there.. there was jumping and running, and laughing and such going on at the same time.

Sarahlicious
on 2/28/10 3:30 am - Portsmouth, OH
Hmmm come to think about it...the normal people I know with a MALM ...we've played Rock Band in their room...I think there was me, my friend and her sister all sitting on the Queen bed...I don't think I knew what bed it was until later...but not worried. Figured I'd go be silly and 'test' the bed strength in the store...lol.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

melslongjourney
on 2/28/10 3:24 am

I would recommend a ikea bed to anyone. My ikea held me with no issues at 326 so I would not worry a bit if you found one you liked. It's the bed frame I have ever had.

~Melissa~
SW/326 CW/224 GW/175
~ 4cc added in 11cc realize- C band~ 02/08/10~
~1 cc added 03/08/10
~1 cc added 05/03/10
~ 1cc added 07/26/10
~ .05 cc added 09/09/10
~ .05 cc added 01/06/11
~ .25 cc added 06/06/11

M M
on 2/28/10 3:30 am

Sarah --

"Bed frame:

Main parts: Particleboard, Foil

Leg/ Rail: Fiberboard, Foil"

Not for the active big girl.  :)

Look for a steel frame or platform...  

Sarahlicious
on 2/28/10 3:34 am - Portsmouth, OH
And by active you mean...lol....don't go tempting me I've long wanted the Stratton from Pottery Barn...but that's a lot of $$$$$. But I do need underbed storage space, my closet is tiny and has the AC unit in it.

Sarahlicious
on 3/1/10 2:16 am - Portsmouth, OH
I e-mailed and asked them...flat out what the weight capacity was...and reply:

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

This product does not have a published weight limit.  It is a well
designed product and will provide good function for which it is
designed.  The design, weight capacity and function of each product
undergoes test to ensure the product will hold up to normal use. If
the product is used for something other than the designed function,
IKEA is not responsible for loss to personal injury or property.

We do hope that this information has been helpful, and we thank you
for your inquiry.

Yeah it says the design, WEIGHT CAPACITY, and function.... seriously going to go jump on beds at Ikea...this should be fun...lol...check Craigslist to see if I could score a Pottery Barn bed...no such luck.

Chilipepper
on 2/28/10 3:48 am
Hubby and I where going through beds like toilet paper..He is 325 and I was 309...we were blowing springs...(and not all because of getting busy)...just because we are heavy....

We went mattress shopping, yet again..and this time finally decided to lay down on the Tempurpedic..OMG..the salesmen couldn't get off of them...it was a tough decision...but we decided to just go ahead and finance it...and what a terrific investment it was.  We both lay down at night and don't move until we wake up..Rested.  Plus, they have a 20yr warranty..who offers that?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Sarahlicious
on 2/28/10 3:56 am - Portsmouth, OH

Oh I think I've gone through 2 box springs (you know how hard it is to JUST buy a boxspring) and bent the hell out of a center support of a METAL frame. That was pre-op, I even had a different bed that we use 2x4x as the support, but they still slid and fell out from under the mattress and boxspring, so I just used no frame at ALL. Then I got home from the hospital...I had a rented hospital bed, and my Mom slept in my room for one night and the next day she went out and bought the bed I currently have....so it's about 7 years old. It's been good, the brass headboard never stayed tight and even slight turning at night made it hit the wall like I was having "fun"...it bothered me so I chucked the headboard a move or two ago. Now the issue is that the frame has wheels, and I have all wood floors so the with the slightest movement the bed moves and the 2 supports under it tip and fall....even with them I'm fine in the bed (even with someone of my equal size) but it's just been really annoying because the moving bed also hits my outlet w/ my alarm clock so in the middle of the night I could turn, bed move and alarm clock turns off...NOT GOOD. I was thinking I would invest in lower price fix for now...then in a few years upgrade to a queen set, etc. I have full now, would keep the mattress, sheets, etc. Still just tossing ideas around.

Most Active