Gastric Sleeve - 1 year later - worst thing I've ever done

bethyoh
on 3/2/10 3:24 am
I had the gastric sleeve surgery March 23, 2009.  I had trouble right after eating and drinking with esophogeal spasms.  My goal was 100 pounds and I am now at 107 pounds and still losing every week.  I am unable to eat more than about 1/4 cup each meal.  I live on cooked shrimp, asparagus and strawberries.   I have had tests including two EGD's to no avail.   I have just started drinking Ensure Plus to gain weight.  This is the worst thing I have ever done and wish I had had the gastric bypass instead.

My surgeon assures me that out of 25 patients I would be the only one that has had trouble.  He thinks I just don't want to eat.  (I have changed doctors.)  I am skinny and miserable and have no energy to play with my 10-year old son. 

Is there anybody out there who has had this trouble.  Will it ever get better?
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/10 3:28 am
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I am sorry you have had such a bad time!!  You might find a more dense population of sleeve folks who can be helpful on the sleeve board though. 

Come and cross post there and see if you can get some more help!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/a,messageboard/board_i d,5463/

Sorry for all your troubles. 
amanda J.
on 3/2/10 3:41 am
I am sorry to hear this. I am scheduled to be sleeved on the 29th and am already scared out of my mind. I am wondering if maybe you started all over it may help, I mean trying foods other than the shrimp, asparagus and strawberries. Can you get down any of the mushies like you had in the beginning? I am sorry I am not much help because I have not had the surgery yet, I hope you find better answers or suggestions than mine. I wish you all the luck and you are in my thoughts.
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/10 3:44 am, edited 3/2/10 3:54 am - Baltimore, MD
there are plenty of things that would go down better for you if you are trying to gain and/or maintain...soups, cheeses, protein shakes, meal replacement shakes, oatmeal...if you can eat asparagus, you can surely eat these things? 

edited to add: are you getting your liquids in, taking your vitamins? what is your BMI now? 
sia
on 3/2/10 3:51 am, edited 3/2/10 4:32 am - NY
 You might need a prokinetic medication that is also an antiemetic (I would stay away from Reglan). What does your gastroenterologist say? Are you on any acid reducers? 
We Are A Fever. We Are A Fever. We ain't born typical. ~ The Kills
If you have any g-ddamn sense and want WLS, think about the DS.www.dsfacts.com
Redhaired
on 3/2/10 4:30 am - Mouseville, FL
Have you seen a DS surgeon?  The VSG is actually the stomach portion of the DS and an experienced DS surgeon -- may have more experience with the VSG than a surgeon who is doing it as a stand alone procedure. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/10 5:11 am - AZ
On March 2, 2010 at 12:30 PM Pacific Time, Redhaired wrote:
Have you seen a DS surgeon?  The VSG is actually the stomach portion of the DS and an experienced DS surgeon -- may have more experience with the VSG than a surgeon who is doing it as a stand alone procedure. 

???

How in the world would a DS surgeon be better regarding sleeve issues vs. a sleeve surgeon?

Tassia
on 3/2/10 5:15 am
Red said "may have more experience".  

And a vetted DS surgeon WILL have more experience than the 25 the OP quoted in her post.  
*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/10 5:19 am - AZ
On March 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM Pacific Time, Tassia wrote:
Red said "may have more experience".  

And a vetted DS surgeon WILL have more experience than the 25 the OP quoted in her post.  

I am aware of what she wrote, I read it too.

A sleeve surgeon may have more experience than a DS surgeon in sleeves.  But a DS surgeon is not going to be better at resolving a problem such as the OP refers to anymore than a sleeve surgeon.

I can appreciate why you guys push DS so much, I get that.  But this one was a bit of a stretch.

Redhaired
on 3/2/10 5:38 am - Mouseville, FL
Because the sleeve has been done as a stand alone for only a few years but the DS has been done for many years (remember the stomach portion of the DS. is the VSG)- thus it is possible that a DS surgeon would have more experience with the sleeve than a surgeon who only recently started doing the sleeve. 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1400 views