Gastric Sleeve - 1 year later - worst thing I've ever done

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/10 5:43 am - AZ
On March 2, 2010 at 1:38 PM Pacific Time, Redhaired wrote:
Because the sleeve has been done as a stand alone for only a few years but the DS has been done for many years (remember the stomach portion of the DS. is the VSG)- thus it is possible that a DS surgeon would have more experience with the sleeve than a surgeon who only recently started doing the sleeve. 

A surgeon could do 1 DS a month or another surgeon could do 50 sleeves a month.

The point was not a good point to make to begin with.

Bottom line, the OP needs to go to an experienced surgeon to help determine what the problem is and it doesn't need to be a DS surgeon.

Redhaired
on 3/2/10 5:48 am - Mouseville, FL
Whatever

MsBatt
on 3/2/10 6:37 am
Actually, a DS surgeon might be a better choice than a Sleeve surgeon because the OP sounds like she may be having some malabsorption problems, something Sleeve surgeons probably rarely ever see.
dogma2karma
on 3/2/10 4:43 am - Suburbia, CA
I had a little trouble with spasms when I was early out.  My surgeon gave me a Rx that helped.  

Do you think the spasms are what is causing your current problems?  I am a bit farther out than you, have a tiny sleeve stomach and can probably eat only about 1/4 cup at a time comfortably.  I have to eat often.  I also have to be careful not to drink too much while I am eating or I will get uncomfortably full before I get enough protein.  How often are you eating? 

I am curious to know why do you think having the gastric bypass (I am assuming you mean RNY) instead would have prevented this problem.

I hope your new doc is better able to help you.  Perhaps he would be willing to consult with a clinic that does lots of VSGs, like LapSF.

Good Luck
259.5/227.5/122/118
8.5 months post DSNormal BMI, woohoo!
Laura S.
on 3/2/10 6:07 am
Poor you, that sounds terrible.  Are you able to drink protein shakes?  They may help with your energy level.  Keep trying, if you don't get any answers from your Doctor than go to a new Doctor.  Hope things get better for you!

Laura

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/10 6:20 am - Woodbridge, VA
I very highly doubt that the RNY would have been a better choice than the VSG given your current issues. With the RNY, you would be adding caloric malabsorption on top of your restriction, so you'd probably be having even more trouble.

I would ditch the asparagus and strawberries and go for something more calorically dense and with more protien. Protein shakes, eggs, fish, cheeses, creamy soups...
MsBatt
on 3/2/10 6:35 am
Okay---what supplements are you taking? Do you drink protein shakes? Has your doc suggested adding some digestive enzymes to help you get more out of your food? I realize that your don't have any malabsorption, but 'normal' people sometimes need these, too.

I would suggest consulting with an experienced revision surgeon. Not saying that I'm sure you need a revision, just that those guys have seen more people with problems.
Eladavi
on 4/23/15 11:15 pm

The only thing I can say about gastric bypass is, My nice had it done 3 yrs ago, in two days we are now having her funeral. She died from bad complications. 

I had the lap band 10 yrs ago, I'm having it removed in two weeks. When I'm sick with throwing up cause I'm sick, I feel like my stomach on the inside is being cut, because food cannot come back up through the band you have to throw up but you can't nothing comes out... I can't take it no more. And a bearatric Dr will not tell you, but I found one on YouTube that did. He said 'what the bearactric doctors don't tell you, & I am one, the lapband only works for 4 years' And then he shows this lady the surgery of him taking out her band and the band had stuck to her stomach they had to do some repair on her stomach. So all bearectric surgeons don't tell you everything, and all their  surgeries has bad complications. Make your surgeon tell you the truth learn about the bad don't just read the good

marymother
on 3/2/10 9:52 am - saint john, Canada
I have no answers nor have I suggestions. I have "lost " quite a few foods with my RNY and it does not matter how good they are for me I cannot eat them. I can not do the protein drinks either. Yuck, gag a maggot.

I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time with your sleeve. I do not think this is a common problem though. But me saying that does nothing to alleviate how you feel

I wish you the best and I sincerely hope you can find some more productive answers that what you have been told by your doctors so far. Being sick is no fun no matter what you weigh..
Higest weight       305 
weight surgery day  Feb 12 2009    251
Current weight     174    
First goal         199   Onederland ( Reached goal Aug 8 @ 198lbs)
Second goal   193    Century Club  ( Reached on Aug 30 2009 )
Third  goal      180 pounds  ( Reached on Nov.23 2009 ) (my personal goal)
Final goal      170 pounds  ( reached Jan 5 2011) ( only stayed that weight breifly)

I'm still maggie from the grove

maggielsmallcard.gif picture by lynnca1972     I LOVE MY RNY !!!

2 years down, a lifetime to go!!!!

LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE,  NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE 
Most Active